SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
KCSO06
KCSO06 has a spectacular aura aboutKCSO06 has a spectacular aura about

Default 2002 SC1 Starter

Hello everyone! My starter just died in my 2002 SC1. I went to the auto parts store to purchase a new one and they gave me two options of .8 kw an 1.4 kw starters. I am unsure on what starter to purchase and sadly so are they. Any help would be greatly appreciated and Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCSO06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KCSO06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KCSO06 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: 2002 SC1 Starter

If you are in a hurry then buy from the parts store and you want the 1.4kW starter. These are much cheaper and you will have it in 3 days or so. http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1009-n...02-satrun.aspx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
BLKSATSC2
BLKSATSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSATSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSATSC2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2

If you cant wait to get one shipped, try Advanced Auto Parts. Use the promo codes and get $40 off. I use them all the time.
I had to replace mine last Saturday due to click no start syndrome.
The top bolt is easy once you see it with a mirror......

2002 SC2
2002 Regal 3800
2000 Dakota RT 5.9L
2000 Grand Prix GT 3800
1995 Del Sol V-tec
1992 VW Cabriolet

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BLKSATSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BLKSATSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BLKSATSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
KCSO06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKSATSC2 View Post
If you cant wait to get one shipped, try Advanced Auto Parts. Use the promo codes and get $40 off. I use them all the time.
I had to replace mine last Saturday due to click no start syndrome.
The top bolt is easy once you see it with a mirror......
What part number did you use and what is the coupon code? Thanks bud!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help KCSO06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKSATSC2 View Post
Buy online, pickup in store is awesome. Unless you want to use a gift or this new "merchandise credit" card I got for Christmas, can't use either online as far as I can tell. I think all the parts stores offer it to varying degree's but AAP has the best deals with their promo codes...just skip the ones with free shipping as the offer when you're picking up in store

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
KCSO06

[QUOTE=OldNuc;2115581]If you are in a hurry then buy from the parts store and you want the 1.4kW starter. These are much cheaper and you will have it in 3 days or so. /QUOTE]

Thank you!! This is big help. I need the part today though to get my car running. Great price!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSO06 View Post
What part number did you use and what is the coupon code? Thanks bud!!
For coupon codes, see
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com
"best" code will depend on total amount you are spending (I sometimes pad orders with oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, etc., to hit the best coupon amount)

hit up the Advance Auto website, put in your car year, make and model, and pick through the results. Might need to click "exact fit only" (or something similar) on the left side of the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido
Buy online, pickup in store is awesome.
+1, haven't paid retail for a part in a looonggg time.

edit: I ordered my starter through the link OldNuc posted, dbelectric, on a Wednesday, and the starter was on my porch Friday when I got home.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #8
KCSO06

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
For coupon codes, see
"best" code will depend on total amount you are spending (I sometimes pad orders with oil filters, air filters, spark plugs, etc., to hit the best coupon amount)

hit up the Advance Auto website, put in your car year, make and model, and pick through the results. Might need to click "exact fit only" (or something similar) on the left side of the screen.

+1, haven't paid retail for a part in a looonggg time.

edit: I ordered my starter through the link OldNuc posted, dbelectric, on a Wednesday, and the starter was on my porch Friday when I got home.

If I didn't need my car tomorrow, I would wait. Its only 80 bucks if I get the part today at AAP. Not too bad to get my car back on the road. Thank you for all of your assistance! This is my first post and probably not my last. You guys rock!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #9
Lucario
Lucario is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

Quote:
What brand was that starter? the website really didn't give any indication who made it.

02 SC1 "Hikaru" 83K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lucario's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lucario reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lucario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Same people who make everyone of the new, not rebuilds the parts store is selling, some company in the orient.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #11
Lucario

2002 SC1

Wasnt sure if it was an No name or a not as well known or house brand item. But still for 45 bucks or so, thats pretty cheap

02 SC1 "Hikaru" 83K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Lucario reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What brand was that starter? the website really didn't give any indication who made it.
I don't think the box had any kind of name on it. Plain white cardboard box. Like OldNuc said, it's probably the same part that's sold elsewhere, except they charge you 2x~3x as much to put it in a box with a brand name

Looks like I installed it about 21 months ago
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...postcount=2521

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #13
Lucario

2002 SC1

Quote:
I don't think the box had any kind of name on it. Plain white cardboard box. Like OldNuc said, it's probably the same part that's sold elsewhere, except they charge you 2x~3x as much to put it in a box with a brand name

Looks like I installed it about 21 months ago
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...postcount=2521
Well if it gets your car started each morning, thats all what really matters.

02 SC1 "Hikaru" 83K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #14
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Now why on god's green earth would there be 2 different starter motors?

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The low power one came with the first year or so of the SOHC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #16
KCSO06

Happy Re: 2002 SC1 Starter

Well I was able to purchase a starter from Auto Zone. They matched the price of AAP. That was nice of them. It took me a couple of hours to get it in due to the top bolt. That thing is a pain! Once I put the starter in, the car started right up. I then changed the spark plugs and wires on it and the car is running in tip top shape. I hope you all value your Saturn as much as I do! My car has been with me for the last 5 years and I have driven it across the country a couple of times and this was the second problem I have had with this car. The first was a leaky water pump. I am not a mechanic, but my dad did show me how to turn a wrench. Thanks again for all of your help! I am grateful!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #17
alordofchaos

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Nice! Congratulations on getting this fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSO06 View Post
My car has been with me for the last 5 years and I have driven it across the country a couple of times and this was the second problem I have had with this car.
Fantastic story, great car!

Quote:
The first was a leaky water pump. I am not a mechanic...
If you have time to follow this site, you will be

This site and richpin's youtube videos account for probably 80% or more of my mechanical abilities. My dad had no skill or knowledge with a wrench.

Basically, I read what people post here, ask questions, watch the videos, and try it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #18
KCSO06

Quote:
Nice! Congratulations on getting this fixed Fantastic story, great car!

If you have time to follow this site, you will be

This site and richpin's youtube videos account for probably 80% or more of my mechanical abilities. My dad had no skill or knowledge with a wrench.

Basically, I read what people post here, ask questions, watch the videos, and try it out.

Yes Richpin's videos are awesome! He has showed me several things. I had to replace the cooling fan motor last night and he made it look simple. I was done in 20 minutes. Unlike my starter. lol This site has saved my car and me. I just hate paying unbelievable prices at the repair shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!