SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #1
gtp99
gtp99 is on a distinguished road

Default Timing chain

Here is my situation, I recently purchaced a 2003 Vue with the 2.2 ecotec motor. The previous owner had said the timing chain broke. So I took the valve cover off and saw that it was the guides that had broken and caused all the trouble. So I took off the head to see if the pistons were damaged. There is a little groove were the valves meet the piston. Now my question is should I just have the head redone at a machine shop and install a new timing set? Or should I not chance it and replace the whole engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gtp99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gtp99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gtp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
MY FYN 79
MY FYN 79 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Timing chain

How many miles on the engine and is it clean or gunky inside?

I've messed with a lot of Ecotecs and only one time have I tried to revamp an 86k mile engine that had a chain failure. Redone head, new timing set etc and it made noise once it was all back together. Fail.

Ever since then I've been replacing the Ecotecs in all my projects just cause I'm too gunshy to go through the work and $ and roll the dice.

I'm sure people have had success stories too, curious to hear what other people think. Its just tough to diagnose the health of an engine once it already has a chain failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MY FYN 79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MY FYN 79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MY FYN 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
gtp99

It has about 134000 miles on it. The top of the pistons have a little carbon build up. Nothing out of the ordinary for that amount of miles. And the valves look good, as far and build up. I have been going back and forth on this. I hate to do all that work and $$ and for it to not run right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gtp99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #4
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Tchain breaks on an interference motor(ECOTEC) = oil contamination ,bent valves and worse -entails total engine rebuild to ensure nothing is missed.
= BIG HEADACHE and money pit.

GEt a runnin JY motor installed by a shop that sources it and guarantees it.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
gtp99

I have done a little research on here but can anyone inform me on which other cars have the same engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp99 View Post
I have done a little research on here but can anyone inform me on which other cars have the same engine.
I suggest you visit one of many salvage yard websites to determine which L61 (2.2) engines can be used in your Vue.

I've used car-part.com in the past (not for Saturn parts - Subaru transmission) and was highly satisfied.

They'll ask basic requirements (year, make, model) ... and will then ask if you need 2.2 or 3.0 ... and then if you need AIR or EGR (I don't think you do) and will list available engines.

I'm no L61 expert but believe most 2.2's can be used -- don't go for 2008 or newer -- they use a different crankshaft position sensor (CKP) scheme than 2002 - 2007.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #7
gtp99

Will a 2005 Saturn Ion 2.2L engine fit in a 2003 saturn vue with a 2.2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp99 View Post
Will a 2005 Saturn Ion 2.2L engine fit in a 2003 saturn vue with a 2.2?
Do you actually read posts from folks trying to help you?

If you visit car-part.com and enter information for engine you need it will show you which 2.2's are probable candidate replacements.

Car-part.com lists at least nine ION 2.2 engines as being compatible with your Vue.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote