SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
Neutron
Neutron is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
2001 SW1
Default fog lights for 1994 SL2

I have OEM Saturn fog lights in my 1994 SL2. About 15 years ago, they burned out, so I had them replaced at the Saturn dealer for $70 each. Within a year, they burned out again. Due to the high price, I left them burned out.

What is their construction?
Are they a big glass bulb with 2 metal prongs out the back?
Or are they like the modern headlights, with small, removable bulbs that twist into the back side of a headlight assembly?

Are OEM Saturn replacement fog lights still in the $70 range?

Is there an aftermarket fog light option that would fit perfectly in the same space as the OEM Saturn headlights?

Eric

1994 SL2 Automatic AC 220,500 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Neutron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Neutron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Neutron

1994 SL2
2001 SW1
Default Re: fog lights for 1994 SL2

I've done a little searching and bulb replacement books say the replacement bulb for the 1994 SL2 fog lights is an 880, which is a replaceable bulb that gets mounted into a housing (rather than a sealed glass bulb assembly with 2 prongs sticking out the back).

I also read that the 893 bulbs (a slightly higher Wattage) last longer than the 880 bulbs.

In looking at the auto parts stores, all the fog lights are clear or blue-tinted. Isn't yellow a better color for clarity of vision? (reference blue-blocker sunglasses which enhance contrast in hazy conditions)

The lens on my driver's side fog light is cracked (split from top to bottom). I'm thinking this will let water in any maybe cause problems with hot bulbs? I should probably replace that lens, yes?

Eric

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Neutron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
Neutron

1994 SL2
2001 SW1

Here's a look at my driver's side fog lamp lens.

Note, how the thick end of the lens is towards the middle of the car.
Is that right?
Should the thick end of the lens be towards the side of the car?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141124_205013_resized.jpg (142.0 KB, 23 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
J N Winkler
Advanced Member
J N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

I can't advise on mounting position, but I'd definitely replace the lens since the crack will definitely allow in enough water to shorten bulb life greatly. Bulb color is mostly a matter of taste when you are staying with the same technology, but personally I'd go with clear for a stock appearance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J N Winkler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J N Winkler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

880 LED bulb from Super Bright LED's...
Yellow and blue tint available...

I don't know how bright they are,
been trying to put fogs in...

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ing-light/151/

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yellow cuts better in snow and fog but has less reach. If you want to use the fogs as normal low road surface lights then 2700 to 3200 color temperature white bulbs will work best. The Saturn stock fog lights are quite capable of drawing a 29" vacuum on an onion sack performance wise. Getting a decent set of aftermarket lamps and mounting them is the easiest fix, just not the cheapest. The wiring and relay will handle a nominal load increase but the stock housings probably will not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

My Outback use's 9006's for fog lights, it's setup dumps 80% of the light within 3ft of the front bumper, but does so all around the car (unlike the S-Series lights that act more like a DRIVING light than a FOG light). When I put yellow 9006's in it turned the entire low beam reach yellow not just where the fogs normally reached...funniest looking thing from the driver seat

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Neutron

1994 SL2
2001 SW1

Thanks for the input.

I'm going to try a pair of these xenon-filled yellow bulbs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
choc citysaturn
choc citysaturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Finding a replacement lense is going to be next to impossible. Try the pick and pulls and then the regular junk yards. If you find a drivers side lense easy swap. Passenger side lense is doable just a little bit more involved. Put it and your broken drivers side lense in the oven just long enough to soften the glue. Pry both lenses off clean up the drivers side add a bead of rtv sealeant flip the passengers lenses onto the drivers side and you are good to go. I forgot the temp of the oven and how long but look it up on the internet.

Another round about way would be to go to NAPA and look for auxiliary driving lights "Navigator" by pilot NV-100. Use the oven trick and put one of those lenses on. The overall second easiest way would be to cut both black wires on the saturn housing and the NV-100 and connect them. I went this way because the ring that holds the bulb in place rust away to nothing and there is no replacement for that. That way I have use of my fogs and can stockpile any serviceable saturn ones. Good luck.

My number one goal is to make my saturn better now than when I bought it in Dec of 1993. IMPORT FIGHTER

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to choc citysaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help choc citysaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
choc citysaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
Neutron

1994 SL2
2001 SW1

Luck is with us!
There's a seller on ebay with NOS GM fog lamps!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/neatcollectibles/m.html

I bought a right AND a left!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Fog-...-/231403193881

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Fog-...-/231403196020

Last edited by Neutron; 11-28-2014 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: added info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
Neutron

1994 SL2
2001 SW1

The fog light lens assemblies have arrived - just like the originals, only not rusty!

I removed one of the original lens assemblies from my car and saw that the connectors had corroded OFF the wires! The light bulb is still in-tact (still has a low resistance between the bulb terminals), albeit with rusty terminals.
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/a...psvosliaqb.jpg

I also noted that the distance from the bulb to the back plate is about 1/2 the length as the 880 bulbs for sale in the auto parts stores! Huh??
http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps47770c1b.jpg

Because the leads are so long on the 880 bulbs from the auto parts stores, they hit the black metal light cutoff inside the lens assembly before their back plate seats, so you can't secure them like the originals.

Did Saturn have a special version of the 880 bulbs with shorter leads?
Will I have to modify an auto parts store 880 bulb to be like the original bulbs??

Another issue: Given that the connectors have rusted off the wires, I think I need a new wire harness to plug onto any light bulb. When, I reached up behind the plastic cowel pieces, I felt a plastic wire-to-wire connector about 6-8 inches from the ends of the fog light wires. I believe I need a new wiring harness that goes between that wire-to-wire connector and the light bulb prongs?

Any idea what part number of this wiring harness is and where to get one?

Eric

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #12
Neutron

1994 SL2
2001 SW1

880 Bulbs:
It looks like GM DID create their own version of the 880 bulb!!
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...B1994%2BSATURN

What is everyone else doing when you need to replace the fog lamp?
Buy an auto parts store bulb, cut the terminals and insert it into the GM metal base?
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/atta...y-pnp-clip.jpg

Wire assembly: Is this what I need to replace my corroded fog light wire harness?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AC-DELCO...-/201213294370

Last edited by Neutron; 12-01-2014 at 10:31 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
Neutron

1994 SL2
2001 SW1

It looks like GM's wire harness has female spade connectors at the ends of the wire harness to plug onto the spade lugs of the light bulb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.JPG (98.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg foglamp assembly.JPG (6.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 11513798 bulb.jpg (6.2 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #14
Neutron

1994 SL2
2001 SW1

I just discovered that an H3 bulb is a match for the Saturn fog bulb, NOT 880!

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-H3-ST.../dp/B000AME5J0
http://www.jcwhitney.com/hella-h3-oe...50425y1994g2j1
http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a...ini-bulb/4322/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #15
Neutron

1994 SL2
2001 SW1

This page says the original OEM bulb is only 6.8W??
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...607&cc=1266937
That doesn't sound right!?

All the halogen replacement bulbs (H3 and 880) I'm seeing are 27W-55W!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H0KNSM/...I36WQXB0T4YR98
http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-880BP...words=880+bulb
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000COBLG6/...I3IJ0WD7B95QNE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #16
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That should probably be amps and not watts.

If that fog lamp has any plastic parts don't get over 55W or it will melt. H3 is probably a better bet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #17
Neutron

1994 SL2
2001 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That should probably be amps and not watts.
If the 6.8 number is Amps, then the Wattage of the bulb is 6.8A * 13V = 88.4W, which is a higher Wattage than the main headlights.

Quote:
If that fog lamp has any plastic parts don't get over 55W or it will melt. H3 is probably a better bet.
Agreed on the H3 bulbs!
The 880 bulbs will not fit in the 1994 fog lamp housing.

Eric

Last edited by Neutron; 12-01-2014 at 06:41 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You can find 90W H3 bulbs with no problem. That is why you have to be careful when you buy them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #19
Neutron

1994 SL2
2001 SW1

Quote:
You can find 90W H3 bulbs with no problem. That is why you have to be careful when you buy them.
I will avoid going above 55W. The main headlight bulbs (9006 bulbs) are rated at 55W. It makes sense to me that the fog lights would be a similar Wattage.

I've ordered some 35W and a 55W H3 bulbs. My plan is to start with the 55W and see if all is ok, as far as heat is concerned.

Eric

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Most of those fog light housings/reflectors are designed to light the first 30-40 ft in front of the car with minimum upward light splatter. They should fill in the dark spot between the car and the low beam spot at most. If you are looking for a longer reach beam then you need to upgrade the bulb housings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!