SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
zmarrott
zmarrott is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default S Series Model Similarities

Hi, i own a 95 sc2 which i am slowly fixing up and modifying. i have always hated flip up lights...they are just big ugly appendages on the nose of the car. i want to do a swap and put the front end on that has fixed headlights. i know that if i could find a slightly older sc i could get the front end i want, but being in utah, sc are few and far apart. there are however many many many sl's ranging all generations everywhere. drivetrains are the same for all with exception to a few minor engine tweeks, but how similar are the frames? is the frame on the front end of a first gen sl the same as a first gen sc? how far can i go from my flip up headlight coupe to find body parts and other peices?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zmarrott's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zmarrott reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zmarrott is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: S Series Model Similarities

Can't do the swap without a '93-'96 SC1, hopefully in your SC2's body color to make things faster/cheaper.
I think:
  • Hood (stupid easy to do)
  • Headlight housing (might be easy)
  • Wiring hacked (I think it'd be easy but not everyone understands positive to positive and negative to negative...)
  • Headlight housing bracket (same as the housing)
  • Front bumper (should be easy, fixed headlight models are 2-piece while pop-up models are 1-piece)
  • Fenders (100% different for pop-up headlights than fixed and why you need a '93-'96 SC1)
Of course this is assuming you and the junkyard is in a non-rusting location...if that's not true then the swap won't be in any way "easy", so many fasteners to snap off...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #3
zmarrott

1995 SC2

i understand that the exterior panels are completely different looks (part of why i want to do the swap), but is the frame around the engine bay the same? im really currious about this detail in particular because i found a first gen sl with a bad motor for just over $200. ive searched every junkyard i can find in my area and none of them have sc's of any generation. and paint color i couldnt care less about because my friends used the paint i bought for just the hood, and mistakenly thought it was for the whole car . its now a patchy half semi-gloss half matte black lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zmarrott reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
lamping.ap
Advanced Member
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

Not sure where in Utah you are as your profile doesn't have your location. Did you try the Pull N Save in West Valley? I used to go there often. Saturns were a plenty there. http://www.utahpullnsave.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamping.ap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamping.ap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

To be honest if I was in that position I think I'd try to work a swap deal or just sell the car and find another of the style you like. Many people love the pop up headlights and the early coupes. Being that you are still in the "work in progress" stage you really wouldn't have much to lose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
zmarrott

1995 SC2

i havent searched much up in west valley or salt lake area (im in utah county). and, signmaster, annother part of why i want to do the front end conversion is the work needed for it. i love working on cars and i want the experience. i do all the work on my car. and my car currently has probably no resell value...no interior, unregisterable in utah at the moment (it is registered in az and has no cat), and the third reason i want the swap is because i need a new front end anyways. my fenders are **** with both missing large chunks of plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarrott View Post
im really currious about this detail in particular because i found a first gen sl with a bad motor for just over $200.
See Low Saturn's post #6 here
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130620

and here
http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...light+assembly

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
zmarrott

1995 SC2

though again comes the issue of i cant find any first gen sc1 near me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!