SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2014, 01:52 AM   #1
Hornblower
Hornblower is on a distinguished road

Default Tool for removal of Drive Belt on Saturn Vue

I had to replace my 2007 Saturn Vue Hybrid Vue drive belt tensioner assembly at 53,000 miles due to bearing noise. I could not see of the belt was replaced from the service charges. I am not at 110,000 miles on my vue and been investigating replacement of the belt. To my surprise, the only way I can replace it is to purchase a Kent Moore tool EN-48932 to compress the drive belt tensioner spring to remove the belt. The tool retails for over $300!! The best I have found on ebay is $215 which is quite steep for the DIYer. The GM dealership will do it for over $200. They will not loan out the tool. Anyone researched a way for me to do the work myself without the high cost of a service repair and use of a cheaper tool? The belt costs for the premium belt is $31 through Rock Auto.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hornblower's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hornblower reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Tool for removal of Drive Belt on Saturn Vue

If the tool pictured below is correct, it appears not too difficult to make one with some imagination.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Primary.jpg (10.9 KB, 58 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If the tool pictured below is correct, it appears not too difficult to make one with some imagination.
Looks like a fancy C-clamp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Hornblower

I am got a design for the makeshift compression tool based on the picture and other source material off of ebay for the Kent Moore EN48932 Belt Tensioner Compressor tool. I have not tested the tool for belt removal yet. Based on pictures I have a clamping clearance of 4.5 to 5 inches. I have made a few modifications from original to include a spring to expand the opening to keep tight the tool from rattling. Belt removal Instructions say to fully compress the tensioner spring so I am hoping that I can do that with the 4.5 to 5 inches I have to compress the spring. Any further ideas?
IMG_0004.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hornblower reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
I am got a design for the makeshift compression tool based on the picture and other source material off of ebay for the Kent Moore EN48932 Belt Tensioner Compressor tool. I have not tested the tool for belt removal yet. Based on pictures I have a clamping clearance of 4.5 to 5 inches. I have made a few modifications from original to include a spring to expand the opening to keep tight the tool from rattling. Belt removal Instructions say to fully compress the tensioner spring so I am hoping that I can do that with the 4.5 to 5 inches I have to compress the spring. Any further ideas?
Attachment 40630
Looks bloody good. Is this a spring compressor for the front struts?
Let us know how the job goes and perhaps film it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
Hornblower

No. Not for struts but for hybrid drive belt. Tool for struts are very common and cheap. Commercial compression tool made for compressing the drive belt runs $300. Not one of the tools most of us DIYer would own.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If those two black pieces have threads going completely thru, can you cut down the inner portions to increase spring compression without compromising clamp integrity?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (185.4 KB, 28 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
Hornblower

The "black" hook on the left is welded in place to left side of the bolt so the left clearance is fixed but the right hook is movable by tightening down on the nut so the right clearance can be reduced if needed further. Right now I have a pin (not shown) in a cut out slot in the right hook assembly to limit play between 4.5 to 5 inches. My tool is designed to mate with upper and low ends of spring for tightening up the spring where the tool hooks mate with spring. This is the same way the commercial version compresses the spring. If I need to reduce the right hand dimension as you have marked on my drawing to below 4.5 inches I will need to remove pin (which is not a big deal) and redrill further for the purpose of keeping the tool together when the right nut is removed. You can see the pin and slot on the commercial version.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As you can readily understand, I haven't used these clamps. With your explanation jarring the one cell between my ears, the left side being fixed would mean the right side doesn't have any threads and free to slide with the nut as the means to change clamp dimensions. With the right side not threaded makes trimming the body down feasible? I think the pin and slot of the original is to prevent the moving part from rotating? While annoying without a pin to prevent clamp rotation, would holding this piece with a box or adjustable wrench do while tightening the nut to compress the spring?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #10
Hornblower

Yes the pin keeps the right part from rotating but also limits play. The black right side is not threaded so it slides over the bolt so the nut can do the tightening. I will try to find another bolt for manufacturing the next tool with 1-2 inches of threading next time but this is my prototype to determine the proper dimensions and tool adjustments. Tool fits fine over my compression spring on my 2007 Saturn Vue Hybrid but not sure on how much adjustments I need for tightening to remove the spring. tool reversed.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #11
Hornblower

I have finished my prototype tool for compressing the tensioner but I need to know if the tool has enough play to compress the tensioner spring enough so I can easily remove the belt. I have not performed the belt removal procedure yet.
To verify that I have created my prototype correctly, I just purchased a measuring kit from Harbor Freight to double check my tool measurements against a pictures I have to the Kent Moore compression tool. That is the only way I have to determine the tool measurements since Kent Moore will not provide them to me. If anyone has the Moore tool I would love to compare its dimensions against what I have come up with. When finished I would be glad to pass on my tool information so others can build one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #12
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line

I don't think anyone has it or you would have gotten a reply before.
Can't you just go ahead and try and see how it turns out?
You should be able to see the thing compressing or not instantly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Old 11-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #13
Hornblower

It is hard to see the tool at work in the limited space in the engine compartment. I have a small mirror that I used to check the spring compression and the spring is compressing. But when it did the tool was wedged to tight against the belt and the tool's spring. I will remove the tool's spring and see if that improves the clearance. The spring was added and not included in the Kent Moore tool design.
More good news that I found was that the owner's manual stated that the belt should be replaced every 150000 miles. A lot more than I expected and approximately twice as long as a timing belt.
Today I will be measuring the compression spring's dimensions with my new measurement kit from Harbor Freight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #14
Hornblower

I have finished with the tool. Here is a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1547.jpg (111.5 KB, 51 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
Hornblower

I improved on the design by not painting it and removed the external spring from the center. Worked good at removing the drive belt. Total cost was $15.00 versus $300 for the Kent-Moore tool. Of course I had some manual labor and welding work done that I accomplished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-12-07 18.47.21_edited-1.jpg (120.1 KB, 46 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-28-2014, 01:10 AM   #16
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line
Default Re: Tool for removal of Drive Belt on Saturn vue Vue

Looks good.
Perhaps you can rent it out for use

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Old 03-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #17
boulderhybrids
boulderhybrids has a spectacular aura aboutboulderhybrids has a spectacular aura about

uhm here's a $1 tool that will get the job done. (stainless steel worm clamp)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturnTool.jpg (207.2 KB, 83 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boulderhybrids's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boulderhybrids reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boulderhybrids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #18
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the roughPortugalFocus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderhybrids View Post
uhm here's a $1 tool that will get the job done. (stainless steel worm clamp)
well done.

When you save $300+ on making a compression tool out of a worm clamp...

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:16 AM   #19
james53546
james53546 is on a distinguished road

how much pressure is on the belt drive spring? Hornblower how much would you charge to make more of the compressors? also what's the spring in the middle of the tool do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to james53546's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help james53546 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
james53546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:26 AM   #20
james53546
james53546 is on a distinguished road

has anyone tried a strut tool on this spring?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to james53546's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help james53546 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
james53546 is offline   Reply With Quote