SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #1
sikao
sikao is on a distinguished road

Default Mixed orange DexCool with green?

Okay, so I found out the coolant light was flashing on my wife's '99 Saturn SL-2. Looked at the coolant reservoir and it was clearly below the line, so I checked the owner's manual and it said to only put Dex-Cool in it. Bought some Prestone Dex Cool from Autozone, and didn't notice until I was topping it off the coolant in the bottle was orange but the coolant in the reservoir was pale green.

I've read lots of conflicting information about this on the net. Some say you should never ever mix dex cool with green coolant, but others say that only applies to the old "regular" green coolant and/or old "red" dex cool, because they changed the formula for both.

Is it really imperative to have all the fluid flushed (not really feasible for me to do it myself at this time), or is it likely the pale green was compatible with the current dex cool? Even if it does cause some of the gel/sludge I heard about, it is likely to cause engine damage in the next few months if she just drives it around town?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sikao's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sikao reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sikao is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Mixed orange DexCool with green?

Do not mix unless both antifreezes are of a Universal formulation. Drain, flush refill with 1 full gallon of a universal type of 100% antifreeze and top off with distilled water. Not a horrid job to do but it need doing before driving.

Do not rely on color as it is near meaningless.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
lestesian
lestesian is on a distinguished road

may i ask the consequences to his dilemma, OldNuc?
could it cause possibly...an overcooling event?
because mine had the same but got to temp before... then i put orange and now it dosent get to temp. ive been driving it. and after it warms it holds temp for hours after shut off

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lestesian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lestesian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lestesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:18 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The Dex gells and you lose adequate engine cooling. As there is no way to identify the actual chemical characteristics of what was originally in the cooling system or its condition all you can do is drain and flush. This can all be done with a garden hose through the radiator drain. It is a drain, fill, run engine until hot with the cap off, allow to cool and drain. Repeat until the water that drains out is clear. Must run engine until thermostat opens but not to the point it all boils over, requires paying attention. The amount required to get an adverse reaction is not documented but it does happen. The coolant turns brown and lumpy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
laser3kw
laser3kw is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

Quote:
The Dex gells and you lose adequate engine cooling
yup! when I tore down an engine to rebuild, I found this orange jelly in every corner.
OldNuc- I have heard, but never tried, the recommendation of adding some dish soap or something to aid in the clean out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Automatic Dishwasher soap or TSP. Not a high sudsing dish soap though. The best is a couple of tablespoons of TSP in the first re-fill. TSP can be fund in the paint department of any big box store just make sure it is only Tri Sodium Phosphate and not a bunch of other stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestesian View Post
may i ask the consequences to his dilemma, OldNuc?
could it cause possibly...an overcooling event?
because mine had the same but got to temp before... then i put orange and now it dosent get to temp. ive been driving it. and after it warms it holds temp for hours after shut off
It could be a gunked up sensor, or gunked up passages, resulting in poor transfer ability of the fluid. You can verify the sensor vs actual coolant temp with a meat thermometer in the return stream of the reservoir.

It's also possible that the old stuff needed flushing and the new stuff is fine, but exposed a thermostat or sensor issue. All common coolant types transfer less heat than water does, so any overcooling event is caused by something external to the fluids used.

If the addition of the new coolant changed the coolant to water ratio by a large amount, you might see changes in gauge temp, but even that would most likely be under loads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Delete

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
Bob243
Bob243 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL1

I have several gallons of pre-diluted Detroit Diesel brand Power Cool. Any reason not to do a thorough flush then fill with it?

I have to do a radiator swap out anyways..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bob243's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bob243 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bob243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Should be just fine. Remember the heater core will always hold about 1 quart of whatever was in the system last.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #11
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob243 View Post
I have several gallons of pre-diluted Detroit Diesel brand Power Cool. Any reason not to do a thorough flush then fill with it?

I have to do a radiator swap out anyways..
Just make sure you have the right one. The labels on those things changed several times, and some of the inhibitor package only stuff was mixed for 50/50 concentrations with the "regular" 50/50 full blown package coolants. There was also an additives package only label that made it sound like super concentrated regular coolant, when it was only for water only mixes and offered no freeze protection.

Detroit made some of the package changes so confusing that they had tech sheets on what product numbers to mix with what other product numbers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If in doubt then google it as that brings up the tech sheets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
Bob243

1991 SL1

On the bottle I have with me the writing on the front is worn off from riding in the back of my truck which is where the PN is. But the back is still good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bob243 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is the silicate based package and for the short term is not going to be an issue. Just be sure to do a good complete flush when changing the radiator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
Bob243

1991 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That is the silicate based package and for the short term is not going to be an issue. Just be sure to do a good complete flush when changing the radiator.
After rad swap and flush, use something else or is this still OK as the permanent coolant ?

91 was originally green, correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Whatever was in ther in 91 is seriously out of date coolant technology wise. I would go with any name brand universal coolant and use a full gallon of 100% so you get adequate corrosion protection. The silicate based inhibitors are way out of style now. You can use it but it is not something you can easily add to and as the heater core does not drain you will never get the concentration much over 45% antifreeze unless you do a fill and drain with the coolant mix you plan on using longterm which leaves you with about a 2 year service life for the coolant. If that is acceptable then you can use it up with no problems.

As you will have the system filled with this Power Cool now just drain radiator and replace and then refill system with the same Power Cool and you will be good to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #17
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Seems like expensive anti-freeze to be using in a gasser car that doesn't require the anti-cavitation additive. I would save it for use in a diesel engine, or sell it to someone with a diesel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I suspect that it is bought and paid for as well as well aged in the trunk. Might as well use it as it is not fit to drink.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #19
Bob243

1991 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I suspect that it is bought and paid for as well as well aged in the trunk. Might as well use it as it is not fit to drink.

We have a Detroit dealer that does service on our generators (both diesel and LP) . Coolant gets changed out every other year, and there is always a case to two left over.. Tech says here, it's already paid for. They have a fit if we keep more than a couple gallons in the storage room, so I give out some to anyone in my dept that wants it ( usually not ) and the rest comes home

I usually end up with a bunch of 15w40 also, I run it in my mower, and usually give a few gallons to my brother for his 6.2L Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You bet, 1 big fit incoming. Ethylene glycol is considered a toxic and hazardous material and the plant hazmat squad has to respond if you spill a drop. There are probably storage limits as well and all kinds of regs to keep it out of the drains.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!