SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
myIon2005
myIon2005 is on a distinguished road

Default 2005 Ion 3

I have a 2005 Saturn ION 3 with 2.2. with A/T and had four lug rim pattern and not the 5 lug pattern. I think its the redline but most post on the board shows the redline with the 2.0, so I dont know for sure May someone can tell me for sure by the pic.

The main problem is that it has started idling low after warm up and will stall and die frequently when I put it in gear and try to leave. When I come to a stop I sometimes have to hold the idle up a little to keep it from stalling. It gives a P0121.
I have cleared the code and took battery cable off for over 2 hours to clear and reset.
I have turn the key to On/Engine Off and let sit for 30+ sec. to let reset (saw on a post). Still it doesn't help it.
Seems that it started this after we had the ignition switch replaced because of the recall, but I'm not positive of that.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car.JPG (88.7 KB, 9 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to myIon2005's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help myIon2005 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
myIon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
goaliemo
goaliemo is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line
Default Re: 2005 Ion 3

You have a base model. Not a Redline.
You need to start with cleaning your throttle body. If that doesn't work, then replace either your throttle body or gas pedal, whichever is cheaper first.
I would start with the throttle body first though. Neither of which hard to do.

I also think I answered this on redline forums for yuh....

I'm just a guy that enjoys my Ions.
Try Google, first. Then ask.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goaliemo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goaliemo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
myIon2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemo View Post
You have a base model. Not a Redline.
You need to start with cleaning your throttle body. If that doesn't work, then replace either your throttle body or gas pedal, whichever is cheaper first.
I would start with the throttle body first though. Neither of which hard to do.

I also think I answered this on redline forums for yuh....
I am on that forum but I didnt notice an answer as of yet, that's why i put it here too.
Also is the car an Ion 3 Base? is that what your saying.

The dealership said they could diagnosis the car for a flat fee. Do you think their scanner can pinpoint the problem accurately whether pedal or TB, because that unit isn't cheap.
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help myIon2005 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Post these questions in the tech section. You can get the codes read by your local parts store if the cel is on.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

DTC P0121 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1 Performance

The dealership won't find anything more than what you already know - you already have an error code P0121 but haven't spent the time searching for the definition and various methods to diagnose/troubleshoot/repair this problem. Manually resetting error codes won't make them go away. Here's a brief reprint from the service manual;

The engine control module (ECM) uses the following information to calculate an expected airflow rate:
  • The throttle position (TP)
  • The barometric pressure (BARO)
  • The manifold absolute pressure (MAP)
  • The intake air temperature (IAT)
  • The mass air flow (MAF)
  • The engine RPM
If the ECM detects the airflow rate is more than expected, DTC P0121 sets.

Car mileage, maintenance done, parts replaced? Without any history of what's been done, guessing on parts replacement can be expensive. This may be as simple as a dirty air filter, vacuum leak somewhere or dirty throttle amongst any other reasons not yet explained (required periodic maintenance). And if you have to ask, I manually opened my electric/electronic throttle (L300) to clean it, after removal from the engine, and have never experienced any problems despite the rumors that they are not supposed to be handled. Unfamiliarity scares people.

Drive by wire throttle/pedal/ecm systems are no different from cable operated throttle bodies - electronics replaced everything and a precision servo motor commanded by the ecm/pcm moves the throttle plate according to pedal input signals. There are millions of drive by wire systems around the world; every major commercial airplane has them and adapting this technology to cars wasn't rocket science and are just as reliable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
myIon2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
DTC P0121 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1 Performance

The dealership won't find anything more than what you already know - you already have an error code P0121 but haven't spent the time searching for the definition and various methods to diagnose/troubleshoot/repair this problem. Manually resetting error codes won't make them go away. Here's a brief reprint from the service manual;

The engine control module (ECM) uses the following information to calculate an expected airflow rate:
  • The throttle position (TP)
  • The barometric pressure (BARO)
  • The manifold absolute pressure (MAP)
  • The intake air temperature (IAT)
  • The mass air flow (MAF)
  • The engine RPM
If the ECM detects the airflow rate is more than expected, DTC P0121 sets.

Car mileage, maintenance done, parts replaced? Without any history of what's been done, guessing on parts replacement can be expensive. This may be as simple as a dirty air filter, vacuum leak somewhere or dirty throttle amongst any other reasons not yet explained (required periodic maintenance). And if you have to ask, I manually opened my electric/electronic throttle (L300) to clean it, after removal from the engine, and have never experienced any problems despite the rumors that they are not supposed to be handled. Unfamiliarity scares people.

Drive by wire throttle/pedal/ecm systems are no different from cable operated throttle bodies - electronics replaced everything and a precision servo motor commanded by the ecm/pcm moves the throttle plate according to pedal input signals. There are millions of drive by wire systems around the world; every major commercial airplane has them and adapting this technology to cars wasn't rocket science and are just as reliable.
I.m sorry if I post this in wrong place. I have researched this to the point of pulling hair. The issue is not so much the code, but the weak idle and stalling when I enter REVERSE gear or come to a stop and the car dies. I was going to clean the TPS when I found out it in in the unit. ANd this Saturn is so different from my 1994. I didn't know the pedal now was designed different.
I will remove the unit from the engine and clean it and see if this fixes the weak idle and stall.
Thanks for the info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Sorry, I missed that you already had a code. Cleaning the throttle body is the first step, because they get quite dirty.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

I think if you have alloy wheels it is a Ion 3 then. It was something like that, because their are different trims.
You don't have to take the throttle body off to clean it, although it does help. Ive take mine off my redline once to clean it, and just wipe it down when I get the code for it. Its really not hard to do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help goaliemo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

False, my level 2 came with alloys.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #10
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
False, my level 2 came with alloys.
I wasn't positive, as I stated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #11
myIon2005

Does the innercooler pump wiring issue just affect the Redline models or does it concern other models also?
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

If you don't have a supercharger, you don't have an intercooler.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #13
myIon2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
If you don't have a supercharger, you don't have an intercooler.

Hallelujah.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by myIon2005 View Post
Hallelujah.
answered this on rlf, too.
you payed for a membership?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #15
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

theres many ways to identify between a QC and a RL

Visual differences
RL has 5 lug wheels, all other ions have 4
RL also has no opening between the bumper cover and the hood, and QC have the gap.
RL i believe says "Redline" on the gauge cluster (correct me if im wrong on this).

Engine wise, RL only come with a 2.0 supercharged, all others have 2.2 (06-07 ions have the 2.4 option)

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #16
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

nope, doesn't say redline.
It does go up to 140 instead of 120 though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #17
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

i do remember seeing a cluster that said redline on it, but it may have been customized.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:30 AM   #18
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.st56 View Post
i do remember seeing a cluster that said redline on it, but it may have been customized.
Its aftermarket. Black cat custom makes them.
They do some pretty awesome work, too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2014, 12:39 AM   #19
myIon2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemo View Post
answered this on rlf, too.
you payed for a membership?

I don't know what rlf is. If its a post of mine, I prolly forgot where it was.

Yes I paid for a membership for several reasons.
Auto Zone charged me for a manual and I find the info here as much a value as Auto Zones manual.
Plus the manual wont answer me back for clarity on issues.
And you guys will usually send me in the right direction pretty quickly.
The few dollars it cost me on some of these boards have saved me tons of money in self repair and needless replacement of parts that were faulty or not the issue.
Also, it's better than thumbing a ride. LOL
Thanks for everything

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2014, 02:10 AM   #20
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by myIon2005 View Post
I don't know what rlf is. If its a post of mine, I prolly forgot where it was.

Yes I paid for a membership for several reasons.
Auto Zone charged me for a manual and I find the info here as much a value as Auto Zones manual.
Plus the manual wont answer me back for clarity on issues.
And you guys will usually send me in the right direction pretty quickly.
The few dollars it cost me on some of these boards have saved me tons of money in self repair and needless replacement of parts that were faulty or not the issue.
Also, it's better than thumbing a ride. LOL
Thanks for everything
Its redline forums. haha
Yea, im not going to say the manuals are useless, but most of us check in several times a day. So we will answer back.
Anything is better than thumbing a ride!
We are all here to help each other, that is the point of this!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!