SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
crazymjb
crazymjb is on a distinguished road

Default crazy problem with friends view, need help asap

So I recently did the timing chain on a friends vue because it was having power problems and their mechanic told them that is what needed to be done.

When the car is cold it has serious problems with power and backfires and stalls under load, requiring the ignition to be turned off and then the car reatarted. I get lean mixture and multiple missfire error codes. After it warms up the thing runs perfect.

Its a 2003 Vue with the 2.2L engine and 166k on the clock. Im at a loss, I was thinking clogged cat but it would be more consistent if that were the case right? Bad direct ignition casette maybe? Bad 02 sensor heater?

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crazymjb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crazymjb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crazymjb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
DavidBo
DavidBo will become famous soon enough

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: crazy problem with friends view, need help asap

What are the codes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DavidBo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DavidBo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
crazymjb

P0171 and P0300 initially. I reset them, then today same thing and she got a P0420, cleared that, and pulled the Upstream O2 sensor thinking maybe it was a clogged cat(but that wouldn't be intermittent), same thing, but this time only codes for for the missing O2 sensor and the P0300 again.

I did observe that when teh engine seems to lose power/responsiveness I can smell gas with the O2 sensor removed, leading me to believe its a spark issue.

It seems that when moving on flat ground its fine with the intermittent power loss, but going up a hill it will be too weak to even make it up, and I'll have to turn the car off, and restart it. If I have to slow down in traffic while its doing its anemic thing, I basically have to gradually ease the clutch in even with it in first while racing the engine up to prevent a stall, and I am forced to keep the RPM around 4-5K during acceleration.

I cleaned the ground to the ECU, put dialectric grease on the plugs and harness to coil pack... I'm at a loss.

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help crazymjb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Not being critical but how positive are you that timing was done correctly? Your first post seems to say backfiring and stalling at start up. Did this occur before or after retiming? If timing is correct, other issues haven't been brought up; compression loss after many miles (166K), intermittent spark, intermittent fuel pump/ pressure loss. High mileage engines present their own unique age related issues. Presuming catalytic converters wear out only one way is a recipe for chasing your tail. Never assume anything about worn catcons as they can disintegrate internally and loos cat guts rattle around to randomly block exhaust flow - one moment an engine acts strange and the next moment its fine. Each problem can be isolated when approached carefully and without attempting to juggle several steps at once resulting in confusion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
crazymjb

Positive the timing was done correctly. It runs perfect and then goes to **** intermittently, restarting it fixes it for a few minutes than back to running like crap. Last night it ran fine for 30 minutes with no issues, today, not so much.

I doubt compression because it is intermittent.

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2014, 02:19 AM   #6
DavidBo

2002 VUE 2.2L

It might be reaching bit, but there's a multi-pin connector behind the driver side footwell trim panel that's known for corrosion issues. Disconnect the battery and remove the trim panel next to the trunk release, it's held in with clips. You'll see the connector held together with a plastic bail. Pull the connector apart and spray it down with contact cleaner and a small brush (be gentle!) and put it back together with some dielectric grease. Reconnect the battery and do the one-minute relearn then give it a try.
No guarantees as always, but I've had success with the procedure so it might be worth a try. In my experience, intermittent problems like yours tend the lean towards electrical issues. I agree with fdryer, throwing parts at a problem only leads to frustration and wasted dollars...lord knows I've been guilty of it more than once. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DavidBo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Although intermittent compression is almost impossible to occur, eliminating a compression issue still leaves other suggested considerations.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
DavidBo

2002 VUE 2.2L
Dizzy Re: crazy problem with friends view, need help asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
It might be reaching bit, but there's a multi-pin connector behind the driver side footwell trim panel that's known for corrosion issues. Disconnect the battery and remove the trim panel next to the trunk release, it's held in with clips. You'll see the connector held together with a plastic bail. Pull the connector apart and spray it down with contact cleaner and a small brush (be gentle!) and put it back together with some dielectric grease. Reconnect the battery and do the one-minute relearn then give it a try.
No guarantees as always, but I've had success with the procedure so it might be worth a try. In my experience, intermittent problems like yours tend the lean towards electrical issues. I agree with fdryer, throwing parts at a problem only leads to frustration and wasted dollars...lord knows I've been guilty of it more than once. Good luck!
Correction: The hood release, not the trunk release.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!