SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
bonneville
bonneville is on a distinguished road

Post 2003 Vue Rust Issue

I acquired my Vue a few years ago and I had always thought the holes above the cradle mounts on the inside of the fender wells was going to be a problem area. Sure enough they are and a lot sooner than I expected. The problem was so blatantly obvious I couldn't understand why any auto manufacture would do this.
I tapped on them with a welding hammer and the passenger side is still solid, the driver side I put a hole right through it. So I used a cutting wheel and a grinder and removed all the oxidized steel.
I thought I would post pictures so everyone can see just how prone these area's are to rot. They collect mud and deicing agents and they have no drain holes.
I am going to weld a patch on the driver side and then I am going to plug the hole on the passenger side. Then I'm going to drill a 3/8 hole on the bottom on the inner half of the lower pinch weld to allow water and debris to drain out. No more mud or water from the tires will be getting in there again.

I discovered the problem while I was cleaning rust and hitting area's with Rust Converter. My plan is to spray or brush Boiled Linseed Oil on the entire underside to prevent further rust. GM does NOT do a good job at rust prevention. And now that municipalities are replacing Sodium Chloride with Magnesium and Calcium Chloride, things are going to get a lot worse...

I don't know if these holes carried over to later models but if you have these holes in your chassis and they are currently solid, I suggest you drill a hole in the bottom on the inside and flush them out with water. After they dry spray rust converter in them and then BLO a week later. After that plug the factory hole inside the fender well with fiberglass.

Update: After a second look I think the holes are there to insert the nuts for the cradle bolts. It still makes no sense for them to leave them open or for there to be no drain holes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2003-112k-1.jpg (138.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 2003-112k-2.jpg (102.2 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by bonneville; 10-31-2014 at 09:36 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bonneville's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bonneville reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
newbievueowner
newbievueowner will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: 2003 Vue Rust Issue

You mean something like this....

A couple years back I noticed a lot of mud/crud build up in there and decided to drill a 3/8" hole to allow the junk to flush out. Sounds like what you have in mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (137.8 KB, 73 views)

Saturn Vue: The 250 HP tupperware

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
bonneville
bonneville is on a distinguished road

Yup but I am going to put the hole on the other side of the pinch weld away from the wheel. Seems to me it would have been smart if GM had recalled them and had a plug installed and a hole drilled there. But GM isn't smart...
I recommend you spray some thick undercoat type oil in there and plug that nut hole off as there's nothing stopping the rust. It's all sheet metal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bonneville's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bonneville reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
MY FYN 79
MY FYN 79 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I just ran across something similar on 2 Vues I have here.

I'll update once I finish the other projects and am ready to clean this up good and tackle it. In the mean time, any one else have pictures or stories about this problem or how they approached it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MY FYN 79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MY FYN 79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MY FYN 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #5
Arkadiusz
Arkadiusz is on a distinguished road

I power washed mine out . let them dry , drilled a hole on bottom, sprayed rust converter, then black epoxy paint, then clear coat, then i sealed the hole with sticky aluminum heat foil tape. 3 layers thick. I also covered the drain holes for now with the tape, So far so good, everything is holding and looks covered up. painted things all black. Will check after winter to see if all is dry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Arkadiusz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Arkadiusz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Arkadiusz is offline   Reply With Quote