SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
dnl
dnl is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default P0420 code, Catalytic Converter Issue

My wife's 2009 Outlook has a P0420 code.
I see that some of the more likely culprits are the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors, among others.
Has anyone had this problem? If so, what fixed it?
Is there anyway to test the converter or sensors before just blindly changing them out?
It looks like I can change the converter myself if need be. Has anyone done this?
Thanks for your help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dnl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dnl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dnl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Penrod
Penrod has a spectacular aura aboutPenrod has a spectacular aura about

2009 Outlook XE
Default Re: P0420 code, Catalytic Converter Issue

I had this issue with my wife's car not too long ago. When i took off one of the cats on the engine the piece inside rattled around (not good) I replaced that one but all the piece jammed up the cat under the passenger side of the care. I replaced 2 cats and the problem went away. If you take the cats out and and see if there is a lot of crud in them, that could be the issue. Here is the post of my problem: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199666 I didn't have a code at first but it eventually happened. If you have a code reader that will give you live readings you can hook it up and if your O2 sensors are erratic before the cat and pretty smooth after the cats, it could be your O2 sensor. You can look at this site: http://www.easterncatalytic.com/education/tech-tips/ These are who I bought both my cats from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Penrod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Penrod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Penrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
dnl

2003 VUE 3.0L

Thanks,
We have gotten this code twice. Both times it lasted one day and then cleared.
Did I understand you that this car has two cats?
Are they difficult to remove? The one that I saw at the front of the engine looked fairly simple to get out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dnl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dnl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
Penrod

2009 Outlook XE

there are 3 cats. One is for bank 1 which is the front one, bank 2 is the one coming off the back cylinders and the other is under the passengers side. If you kneel down at the passengers side you will see it. I may have the first 2 cats backwards but either way. I took off the back one and it wasn't too bad. I didn't need any special tools, just used ratchets and a breakers bar. Ramps would help some and give you more room. I did shear off a few of the bolts taking it off but the new cat came with new ones.

The main issue with my problem was that it wouldn't accelerate past about 30 mph. When I changed the bank 2 cat it helped but all the crude had gone to the one under the passengers side and was causing it to only go a little faster. After changing the second one everything has been fine. Total cost was about $500ish buying both cats from Rockauto.com, and both being eastern catalytic brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Penrod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
dnl

2003 VUE 3.0L

Thanks for the information.
That is a lot of cats. I guess it is all for pollution control, but seems excessive.
I am wondering if I have an intermittent sensor since it clears the next day.
How did you decide which ones to change? did you take all 3 off and inspect them?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dnl's Reputation
Old 11-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
Penrod

2009 Outlook XE

I bought a good code reader that showed my real time engine data. i looked at my O2 sensors A good reading will show the O2 sensors before your cat erratic and after your cat a pretty constant number. One of my cats read fine but the other read erratic on both sides so I troubleshot from there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
dnl

2003 VUE 3.0L

Thanks for your help, and the information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dnl's Reputation