SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 11:55 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default New Saturn SCT Concept

Many thanks to CataystSaturn for sending in his photos of the new Saturn SCT Concept on display at the International Auto Salon. I've posted his pictures are online <!--http--><a href="http://64.77.2.166/cgi-bin/imagefolio/imagefolio.cgi?direct=2001_SCT" target="_blank">here</a><!--url-->.

Official Description:

Saturn and General Motors teamed together and developed this enhanced SC2. The "T" designation stands for tuned and takes the performance level of the SC2 one step further. This vehicle represents the possibility of Saturn's first step in producing a high performance coupe specifically for the sport compact car segment.

Technical Features:
- Special full exhaust from catalytic converter back, include new muffler & stainless steel tip.
- New Intake tubing/throttle body.
- New springs to lower ride height.
- New larger stabilizer bars.
- Strut tower brace.
- Rear disc brakes.
- 16"x7" wheels

Interior/Exterior Features:
- Special orange paint
- Ground effects attachments
- Unique rear spoiler
- Short throw manual shifter and new shift nob
- Unique black badges
- Special "SCT" badging

I'll be posting more information about this car in the future. What do you think???

Post your thoughts.

Thanks,
Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2001, 12:08 AM   #2
saturnotaku
saturnotaku is on a distinguished road

Oooh,

I likey. I likey a lot. Keep the orange paint job and up the wheels to 17"!

The price is the only thing about that car that would concern me. The SC2 is already kind of pricey for what you get. I wouldn't want to see a car like this sell for over $20,000. While some might see $20K as a bargain for the SCT, I don't. Give me a $16-$17K price tag and that would be a true pocket rocket!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnotaku's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnotaku reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2001, 12:25 AM   #3
satu1900
satu1900 is on a distinguished road

Looks good! Wish they would do something like that to the SL2, since I like 4-doors better than 2. The Burnt Orange is a popular color now. Thats all I saw at the Chicago Auto Show. The only thing we can hope for is that they make something like that in the near future.
Kevin
'96 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satu1900's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satu1900 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2001, 12:33 AM   #4
SteveP
SteveP is on a distinguished road

Have you ever noticed that all of these special show cars have features that Saturn tells us we don't need. Little things like four wheel disc brakes, more power, 16" wheels.

If these things aren't really needed, then pray tell, why does Saturn keep rolling them out on these cars? If they are really such a good idea that Saturn has to keep rolling them out, then why isn't this rolling out of the doors at Spring Hill?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SteveP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SteveP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2001, 01:02 AM   #5
Jeff-Snyder
Jeff-Snyder is on a distinguished road

WOW i like it to bad it will prbly never see production
I like the badging and the simple ground effects the set it out
I think the "T" in SCT should stand for Turbo though

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeff-Snyder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeff-Snyder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2001, 03:33 AM   #6
LowSC2
LowSC2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
1991 SL2

I found the body kit I'm getting for my new SC2.

And I agree. Saturn needs to do something similar to the SL2. Call it an SL3! That would be HOT!

Jeff Silva
2001 SC2m SE 97 of 99
1991 SL2m Dragster
<a href="http://www.lowsl2.com" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.lowsl2.com</a><!--auto-->
<a href="http://www.turbosl2.com" target="_blank"><!--auto-->http://www.turbosl2.com</a><!--auto-->

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LowSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LowSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2001, 12:28 PM   #7
SunDevil
SunDevil is on a distinguished road

Where did you get it? For a 2001?
Thanks,
-Jenny

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SunDevil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SunDevil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2001, 01:08 PM   #8
DVader
DVader is on a distinguished road

I must admit my view of the SCT concept is rather mixed. On one hand its nice to see that Saturn is still showing interest in at least taking a stab at the performance end of the sport compact car market. But on the other hand we have seen concept cars like this before from Saturn (like the Saturn/SPS concept car and the more recent Turbo SC) and then nothing.

This car does seem to be equiped with some of the aftermarket parts that Saturn announced would be for sale from the retailers this summer/fall, especially the intake and cat-back exhaust. But when you look at what Nissan (2002 Sentra SE-R 170-180hp) and Ford (SVT Focus 170hp) will be bringing out in the next 6 months or so, the modifications that Saturn has made to the SCT seem rather dismal. I guess we'll just have to wait some more and see how serious Saturn is about performance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DVader's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DVader reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2001, 01:55 PM   #9
MikeT
MikeT is on a distinguished road

The SCT is a nice looking car, but what's with this "General Motors and Saturn have teamed up" business? Weren't they always a "team"? It's kind of like saying, "Bill Gates and Microsoft have teamed up." GM seems to be going out of its way lately associate the General Motors name with its individual brands. This is the exact opposite of their approach in the past.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2001, 03:15 PM   #10
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

Have to agree with DVader, until I see the products signed, sealed, and delivered to Saturn retailers across the North American continent, it's just one big yawn. Saturn cried wolf too many times.
- Wei

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2001, 08:54 PM   #11
dylanr_93SL2m

Nice but I have one complaint. If they do keep the colour (I love that orange), they should do something with the yellow parts of the tail lights. Maybe tint it like the Turbo concept (I think). Not sure about the legality of that though...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dylanr_93SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dylanr_93SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 02-12-2001, 10:45 PM   #12
Herb

Let's hope they turn this 'concept' into reality!

As far as an SL3 model, if anyone has a 1993 Owners Handbook, look in the back. On pages 374,375, and 380 there is a model "SL3" listed! I'll bet GM never let this one see the light of day.

My vote for the SCT.
Herb

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Herb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Herb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 02-12-2001, 11:57 PM   #13
frankski
frankski is on a distinguished road

I love it! I can't wait until next summer, when I buying my next Saturn... I hate the wait!

I have one question if anyone know the answer... I know there's not a lot of performance mods listed here, but how much horsepowers do you think the intake and throttle body in that list could provide? Even if not much, its surely more than 124hp... ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frankski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frankski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2001, 12:08 AM   #14
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Great, but now how about offering a coupe without the ugly third door?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2001, 02:39 AM   #15
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

Looks really good. Mods sound promising. I hope it makes it to production.

Are we preaching to the choir again?

Probably.

SC2-Concept (red), SC-Concept (burnt orange), SC-Turbo, among other modified Saturns never saw the daylight at the end of the production line. What are the chances that this one will?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2001, 02:18 PM   #16
------SC 2------
------SC 2------ is on a distinguished road

All I wanna say is very nice...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ------SC 2------'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ------SC 2------ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2001, 01:57 PM   #17
SCTT
SCTT is on a distinguished road

SPS claims 14 HP on their TB, but I don't know how much this one claims. Love the color!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SCTT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SCTT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2001, 02:12 PM   #18
saturnotaku
saturnotaku is on a distinguished road

Random thought on this topic: how about having SPS be contracted by Saturn to build/supply performance parts. They could do any of the following:

1) Have Spring Hill send SPS cars for customization and SPS will send them to retailers for sale as special editions (like SLP did for the Camaro/Firebird or what Ford does with its SVT cars)

or

2) SPS designs kits and sends them to Saturn retailers for sale and installation or people can install the kits themselves. They could be covered under the factory warranty if installed by the retailer.

I know this is probably a pipe dream, but I'd like to know what you would think of something like this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnotaku's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnotaku reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2001, 08:42 PM   #19
SC2fast
SC2fast is on a distinguished road

Excellent idea saturnotaku!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2fast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2fast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2001, 12:28 AM   #20
Saturnmeister
Saturnmeister is on a distinguished road

Sorry, but they took the "sport" out of the "sport coupe" as soon as they added that 3rd door - and the 50 pounds of excess flab it added to the car - which did a great deal more to detract from the coupe's performance than any modest horsepower gain could hope to bring back!

Any serious performance version of the SC MUST start with the 3rd door becoming an unexcercised OPTION!!

Then go back to the last body style and get rid of this latest bloated looking thing that makes me yearn for the original short wheelbase coupe to return!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnmeister's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnmeister reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread