SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
darkmasterfox
darkmasterfox has a spectacular aura aboutdarkmasterfox has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Dizzy 97 Saturn starts but won't turn over

A typical question it seems regarding this car and I would really appreciate some help. I have read a lot of similar threads regarding this issue and after a while all the information floods together with the different scenarios and such.

So here is mine:

97 Saturn bought knowing the need to replace the battery, radiator, and water pump. All have been replaced. Drove for a week or so but the water warning light did flash every once in a while even though the radiator and pump had been replaced. Sometime during that week it started to get harder for the car to start, with me having to apply the gas pedal firmer and firmer when starting the engine. Finally one morning the car wouldn't start at all. The car turns over and sounds like it REALLY wants to start but it just won't.

Also at this time the check engine light came on with the cam shaft position sensor code.

Since then me and my dad have replaced the fuel filter and pump, making sure there was enough pressure and that you can hear the whir of the fuel pump starting. New battery cables have been bought and installed. Spark plugs are fine and gets a spark, says my dad. Something is just not catching at the same time?

Can anyone help me out with what to do next? Pretty exhausted and frustrated working with this car but I need it to get to work and school and my dad is leaving today or tomorrow so we really need to get this done. I really respect you guys and I'm so impressed that everyone knows so much. I'd really appreciate any help.

Also please forgive any newbie mistakes (did I post this in the right spot?), thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darkmasterfox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darkmasterfox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darkmasterfox is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
cleverbot
cleverbot is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: 97 Saturn starts but won't turn over

Was the engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS) replaced? Also check the wiring for the ECTS. It should be the brass type of sensor not the plastic one.

Use the search function to find out more.

Also knowing a bit more about the car would be helpful. Any other repairs that you have done? Also how many miles on the car?

1994 Saturn SC2 (5-speed) with 240k. (RIP Junked 11/16/12)
1993 Toyota Tercel STD (4-speed) (sold)
1998 Saturn SL2 125,000 miles (RUNNING FANTASTIC!!!)
2012 Chevy Sonic 26,000 miles (5-speed)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cleverbot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cleverbot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cleverbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

The camshaft position sensor code (P0341) indicates ignition system issue. Usually this is either spark plugs or plug wires. Our cars to not have a camshaft position sensor - the position is inferred by the ignition system.

Welcome to the forum and you posted in the right place.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
301k 12/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
darkmasterfox
darkmasterfox has a spectacular aura aboutdarkmasterfox has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

As far as I know the ECTS is the original and I did read the threads about changing it and brought it up to my dad and he kind of brushed it off like it wouldn't be an issue with the starting. As his daughter, maybe he didn't trust me but I will bring it up again. The miles I don't remember off hand (I am at work and will update when I get home) and the only other work we did was the new radiator, new water pump, oil/filter change, new battery cables, and new fuel pump+filter.

I read that long thread about our cars not having the cam shaft sensor and that it has to do with the spark plugs or the ignition sensor perhaps. If he checked the plugs and made sure there was a spark, what can we do now? Could there be an issue with the timing belt?

Thanks again for the help guys and sorry if I sound like a spaz, I only have a limited personal knowledge but a strong desire to see my car running again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help darkmasterfox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

There is no timing belt - it is a chain which rarely fails, and when it is about to, the engine sounds like a bunch of marbles in a metal coffee can.

Having spark and having good spark on all four cylinders are different issues. Plugs and wires are cheap, and if you don't know their age, replace them. If you still have issues with the P0341 code, then you have to get into coils and ICM. Junkyard replacements are favored here.

A bad ECTS can create an overly rich condition which makes the car very hard or impossible to start when cold.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
301k 12/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
darkmasterfox

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV22 View Post
There is no timing belt - it is a chain which rarely fails, and when it is about to, the engine sounds like a bunch of marbles in a metal coffee can.

Having spark and having good spark on all four cylinders are different issues. Plugs and wires are cheap, and if you don't know their age, replace them. If you still have issues with the P0341 code, then you have to get into coils and ICM. Junkyard replacements are favored here.

A bad ECTS can create an overly rich condition which makes the car very hard or impossible to start when cold.

Okay, thanks for the information. It is very helpful. I will try to change the plugs/wires and the ECTS and let you know how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmasterfox View Post
.....As far as I know the ECTS is the original and I did read the threads about changing it and brought it up to my dad and he kind of brushed it off like it wouldn't be an issue with the starting. As his daughter, maybe he didn't trust me but I will bring it up again. ....
Tell your dad this story (you can verify it if you want to spend endless time searching the thread) about a woman asking for help here - the problem was her car couldn't pass NJ state inspection due to the engine not passing its own emissions self tests with a 'not ready' indication on a reader. The only part she needed was a new coolant sensor but her brother-in-law ignored our advice and insisted 'he' knew better as a mechanic and told her to drive several hundred miles until the car's emission self tests went 'ready'. Weeks went by and ignorance continued without passing state emissions inspection as we strongly suggested to her to print out replies from Saturnfans. She finally convinced her (idiot) bil to replace the one part and voila!, car went 'ready' and passed state inspection within days of just replacing this part - the coolant sensor. Below are two pictures, the faulty one and the correct replacement. It takes less than a minute to remove and examine.................to remove all doubt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plastic cts.jpg (41.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg brass cts.jpg (33.6 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
climbski
climbski has a spectacular aura aboutclimbski has a spectacular aura about

2000 SW2
1999 SW2

I am leaning towards Wires/plugs or coils.. If it were me the next step would be replace wires and plugs .. then replace ECTS. Because both those are very inexpensive simple very possible fixes. Another thing to check when doing the ECTS is your plugin and wires to the ECTS as these go bad ..sometimes you can fix the problem temporarily by simply moving the wires. If so you know your plugin clip is bad.

The spark plugs this car likes best happen to be inexpensive NGK BKR5ESA-11 gapped to .040 Dont go with anything fancy as they actually won't likely work as well.

Just because you see spark jump doesn't mean you are getting enough.

Then coils as they cost more.

One more thing. You probably have a very good car. I'll be willing to bet once you find this problem and fix it you are going to love your Saturn.

Last edited by climbski; 10-17-2014 at 04:46 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to climbski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help climbski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
climbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:10 AM   #9
pl94
pl94 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1992 SC2

i had a 92 sc2 didn't start, after all the other trys i pulled the injector wires 1 at a time and found 1 bad injector , it started on 3. replaced with 4 new injectors and it ran like a champ. just saying...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pl94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pl94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pl94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #10
davidmcinnis
davidmcinnis is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1993 SL2

You can check for bad fuel injector with multimeter. Just check the resistance on each of the injectors. I forget what the number is supposed to be, but if you have one way different from the other 3 you've found your bad injector.

-Dave

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidmcinnis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidmcinnis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidmcinnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #11
Steve44
Steve44 will become famous soon enoughSteve44 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbski View Post
I am leaning towards Wires/plugs or coils.. If it were me the next step would be replace wires and plugs .. then replace ECTS. Because both those are very inexpensive simple very possible fixes. Another thing to check when doing the ECTS is your plugin and wires to the ECTS as these go bad ..sometimes you can fix the problem temporarily by simply moving the wires. If so you know your plugin clip is bad.

The spark plugs this car likes best happen to be inexpensive NGK BKR5ESA-11 gapped to .040 Dont go with anything fancy as they actually won't likely work as well.

Just because you see spark jump doesn't mean you are getting enough.

Then coils as they cost more.

One more thing. You probably have a very good car. I'll be willing to bet once you find this problem and fix it you are going to love your Saturn.

Umm...The reverse order would be the best. The ECTS is THE MOST COMMON PROBLEM with Saturns. Everyone knows it. $12-$15 part. If you have to take it out, just replace it. Do that FIRST. If the P0341 exists, change the Plugs and Wires. What's that? $40-$50.? If the car still doesn't start, then you can look at ICM and Coils, and the JY is STILL the best place for that set. If all of these don't solve the problem, further testing is in order, not further parts replacing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #12
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

^^ bought OEM coils off Ebay last March for 61.99 delivered after OldNuc notified us of them for sale. Nothing like OEM!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
darkmasterfox

1997 SL2

Update:

Car is now running. My dad still didn't really believe me about the sensor so I watched richpin's video, got the sensor, and fixed it myself. After it was replaced, the car started right away and I was able to drive it work yesterday and today. Check engine light is no longer on and to answer the previous question, she has just under 163,000 miles. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help everyone. All of your advice really helped me out and it is most appreciated. I will now go back to lurking the forum like usual, I hope I won't need to post any woes soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #14
Steve44
Steve44 will become famous soon enoughSteve44 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

Great News!! Pass along your good fortune.
(in other words try to get every Saturn owner to change their ECTS!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #15
darkmasterfox

1997 SL2

Update #2:

When driving home from work to the grocery store I noticed that the car didn't start as fast as before, it took another try and I also pressed the gas lightly to ease it on. When I came back from the grocery store, the car again would turn over but wouldn't start.

I got her towed home and I will go back over the checklist tomorrow. She was fine for the whole two days and then went back to the previous condition. What did I do wrong? Did I forget something? Any input is appreciated. Spark plugs are now next on the list since I have yet to do them.

And Steve44 I will try my best to educate other Saturn owners on the weighty significant magnificence of a new ECTS! It made a world of difference, at least for a little while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #16
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Update #2:
When I came back from the grocery store, the car again would turn over but wouldn't start.
I thought you said it starts but doesn't turn over? I'm so confused

ANybody asked what the voltage is on the battery when it is running? Have the batt. cable clamps been removed/ cleaned( and the posts, too) then replaced? The basics cover 90% of the problems

Or maybe the harness to the ECTS is ferkakta /intermittent( since it did start and run fine for awhile.)..............

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #17
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Update #2:

When driving home from work to the grocery store I noticed that the car didn't start as fast as before, it took another try and I also pressed the gas lightly to ease it on. When I came back from the grocery store, the car again would turn over but wouldn't start.

I got her towed home and I will go back over the checklist tomorrow. She was fine for the whole two days and then went back to the previous condition. What did I do wrong? Did I forget something? Any input is appreciated. Spark plugs are now next on the list since I have yet to do them......
There is one other little annoyance affecting only '97's - a faulty check valve that won't allow fuel pressure to remain high once the fuel lines are pressurized. The fault is in the fuel pump and not worth replacing but modifying starting procedures; simply turn ON ignition (no further), put on seat belt or wait a few seconds, proceed to START. All '97 owners learn this starting procedure from here as almost every '97 has this fuel pump problem. No other year or model. Try it and let us know if this works for you otherwise more troubleshooting will follow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #18
darkmasterfox

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
I thought you said it starts but doesn't turn over? I'm so confused

ANybody asked what the voltage is on the battery when it is running? Have the batt. cable clamps been removed/ cleaned( and the posts, too) then replaced? The basics cover 90% of the problems

Or maybe the harness to the ECTS is ferkakta /intermittent( since it did start and run fine for awhile.)..............

OH, I am sorry billysvue...I have been saying it over and over to many different people (including co-workers to the tow truck guy) that I have been getting confused myself. Basically I turn the key, the car starts and wants with all her little heart to turn over and go but she can't.

Battery is pretty new (just a couple months old) and new cables installed. Posts are clean.

I have a hunch that the ECTS's cover (?)/cap/where it plugs into with the wires isn't either fully on or maybe that piece needs to be changed as well?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #19
darkmasterfox

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
There is one other little annoyance affecting only '97's - a faulty check valve that won't allow fuel pressure to remain high once the fuel lines are pressurized. The fault is in the fuel pump and not worth replacing but modifying starting procedures; simply turn ON ignition (no further), put on seat belt or wait a few seconds, proceed to START. All '97 owners learn this starting procedure from here as almost every '97 has this fuel pump problem. No other year or model. Try it and let us know if this works for you otherwise more troubleshooting will follow.

That is interesting...I will go try this right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #20
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Basically I turn the key, the car starts and wants with all her little heart to turn over and go but she can't.
The problem as mentioned is the fuel pump check valve is bad, All 97's had the problem, You could turn the key to the on position and wait 5 seconds for fuel pressure to build then crank the engine over or drop the tank and replace the pump, Fuel pressure check will clearly indicate the faulty valve.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote