SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2014, 08:48 AM   #1
TarHeelDead
TarHeelDead is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Various Recent Problems Fixed

Just thought my recent issues/fixes would be worth posting. I've been on this site a lot recently but more reading than trying to post. I've got a 99 SC1, 3 door, 5 speed, currently 142k miles.

The list of things I've worked on/fixed this year include:
-spark plugs/wires replacement
-p0341 camshaft position code
-P1599 in history also P1620
-frozen open sun roof fix
-sun roof and trunk leaks fix (and resulting headliner deterioration)
-leaky intake manifold gasket replacement
-EGR valve (P1404, P0405)
-EGR valve
-EGR valve...
-thermostat replacement
-ECTS replacement
-coolant flush
-IAT replacement
-head unit replacement
-serpentine belt replacement
-P0449 EVAP circuit intermittent

Big thanks to all who have previously posted about anything in my list, I used this site as a reference a lot.

I'd had quite a few trouble codes pop up at the end of last calender year and have been working through them but kept getting stuck. The first set of spark plug wires were faulty due to cylinder 4 wire not snapping onto the plug; returned and 2nd set works great.

The EGR valve with P1404 and P0405 codes has been my worst enemy but I've finally solved it. Basically I had a failed original EGR valve, set P1404 but was not blocked at all; cleaning it and retesting it didn't fix the issue. I picked up a replacement Advance Auto store brand EGR valve, tried that and still got codes. Returned that as faulty and got a replacement, same brand. Ends up it was the same result of not being a match for my car (or faulty or whatever you want to say). At that point of the 2nd EGR valve and cleanings not solving the issue, I checked the wires which all looked good and took it to a local trustworthy shop. They figured it was a ECM problem due to both EGR and EVAP codes indicating circuit issues. I found a replacement ECM in the junkyard (99 manual without air, fyi) and plugged it in, still got the trouble codes; so I put my original ECM back in. Ended up trying a duralast EGR valve from Auto Zone and its worked perfect since then, no codes and no symptoms of any EGR issues. Turns out the BWD advance auto brand EGR didn't work for my 99 SC1.

The EGR symptoms beyond the trouble codes were intermittently being great and sometimes stumbling over itself. I never had it die on me or rev uncontrollably but it would fluctuate revs dropping to 500 up to to 1300. Sometimes when driving in town at around 25 mph it would stumble in gear too. But this is all solved and I get a smooth 795 rpm idle now and smooth when in gear.

I have a replacement fuel filter to install sometime soon since it's still got the original one 142k miles later...

Only thing I haven't addressed is P0449 since it doesn't set the check engine light and doesn't prevent the car from passing inspection.

Any ideas about the P0449? I haven't tried anything to solve it yet since it doesn't really affect anything about the car that I've noticed, I just don't care to drop the fuel tank to address anything if it doesn't seriously matter. This code has been present for the past year (but this hasn't been setting the SES light since the driver cycle never registered as finished). Its just nice to finally have gone a week without the service engine soon light coming on, I can't remember the last time it was off for a week (darn faulty EGR valves).

I can give more details on anything on my list, just ask.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TarHeelDead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TarHeelDead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TarHeelDead is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Various Recent Problems Fixed

I believe the P0449 code is related to the evap vent solenoid on the fuel filler neck. Disconnect the electrical connector to it and apply power and ground, it should make a click noise, if not it's defective.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
TarHeelDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesl2 View Post
I believe the P0449 code is related to the evap vent solenoid on the fuel filler neck. Disconnect the electrical connector to it and apply power and ground, it should make a click noise, if not it's defective.
I'll look into that soon, may be a few weeks though with other things going on. Are you sure that's right for a 99 SC1? Just curious cause the other P0449 code posts I've found around here don't help much since they are mostly for Vues it seems.

What voltage does that solenoid get?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TarHeelDead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
TarHeelDead

Happy Re: Various Recent Problems Fixed

Well, got a new MIL code, P0440. Started just before Christmas and kept the light on constantly till this past weekend (had to make sure it wasn't just some faulty part like the EGR valve turned out to be).

Like before, I've also had P0449 but it doesn't set the MIL to be on. P0440 doesn't really point to anything in particular but P0449 does, the evap vent solenoid. So I started my search for problems to fix at the fuel filler neck. Once I took off the plastic wheel well shroud and looked at the solenoid (image borrowed from google/richpin i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/richpin06a/canisterventsolenoid.jpg) I figured the problem was actually just a quick fix. Instead of looking right, what I saw was the wires split about 6 inches from the plug to the solenoid. Dirty ends of the broken wires and some missing and the black plastic wire guard was missing above the break.

Two sections of wire spliced in to reconnect the wires and it appears the issue is fixed. Not sure what would've caused them to be cut/broken but could've been some debris from the tire that somehow missed the shroud or could've been the mice the got in my garage in the middle of December. Either way, I no longer have P0449 showing up nor P0440. I sure hope that broken wire set is all I needed to fix.

It's only been 3 days since I fixed it but at least 30 miles of driving since resetting the MIL and no codes have returned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
TarHeelDead

Still no check engine codes (light or no light) so it seems like the previous repairs were successful.

This past weekend I did a couple more maintenance things:
-all 4 motor mounts (top passenger side, lower driver side, both strut/dogbones)
-fuel filter replacement

Everything went pretty easy, just had to have the right tools to get it done. The old fuel filter was at least still doing something because the gas draining out the inlet side sure was dirty brown, at least the outlet side was draining clear!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
TarHeelDead

Next up: manual transmission fluid change.

From what I've read here and what I'm able to find locally for a price I'm willing to pay, I picked up 3 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic multi-vehicle ATF.

I'll be changing the original fluid (to my knowledge) that's been through 144k miles the same weekend I change my other car's transmission/diff fluids.

I'll report back how I think the change is afterwards. I've been having issue getting first gear to actaully engage, sometime reverse as well. Not the side to side motion at the shift lever H-pattern, just the leg of the pattern that is actually 1st and also reverse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!