SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
EvanVanVan
EvanVanVan is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Small transmission fluid leak from radiator transmission cooler line

I'm trying to decide what I should do, I've got a small transmission fluid leak from either the upper or lower transmission fluid cooler line as it goes into the radiator. I've tried tightening it very tight. While tightening the nut, I held back on the line with a small 6" pipe wrench. Both upper and lower are very tight.

This is a new problem since I replaced my radiator (with a Silla 2067A) and lines a couple months ago. I'm not even sure if it's the line/nut leaking or if it's the larger 1" hex nut that is part of the radiator. I can't warranty/return the radiator because the company ended up giving me refunding me fully for it after a mix up with the shipping.

I'm not sure if I should A. leave it go, and just check it once in a while and top off as necessary. B. Buy a new radiator and install it, again. Or C, but one of those secondary external radiator cooler things.

I mean it's like a REALLY SLOW leak, I've driven with it for 2 months and haven't noticed any real drop on the dipstick, yet every time I look/stick my hand down there it's wet () with pink fluid (underneath the air dam).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EvanVanVan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EvanVanVan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EvanVanVan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Small transmission fluid leak from radiator transmission cooler line

Back off the nut, wrap 1.5 turns of ptfe - teflon plumbers tape & tighten down....I don't think I would EVER use a pipe wrench on that tube tho.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
EvanVanVan

2002 SC2
Default Re: Small transmission fluid leak from radiator transmission cooler line

Thanks, I'll try it. Yeah I'm a fire sprinkler contractor so I know my way around a pipe wrench, it was just to hold back gently. Didn't damage anything.

Should I expect to lose a lot of transmission fluid when I disconnect the line? That was the one reason I've been putting off doing anything about it. Will it drain the whole transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help EvanVanVan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

Well, I wouldn't think it would be much. About the same as when you recently replaced the radiator. You are sure they are not cross-threaded?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
EvanVanVan

2002 SC2

Yeah im sure they weren't cross threaded. When I replaced the radiator I also did a transmission fluid change so the transmission was empty. Hopefully it isn't much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
Steve44
Steve44 will become famous soon enoughSteve44 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

I changed my Rad and Trans Fluid and Engine Oil 6 weeks ago. A week before, I started soaking the trans lines with PB blaster. Top one, easy, no problem. Bottom one broke. The garage where my tools and compressor is 1-1/2 hours away (friends place, long story) and I was screwed, as there was nobody around, and the nearest place was 20 minutes away, and as the house is in Podunk, the chances of them having a lower trans line was Slim and None. Slim just jumped on his ATV and took off, BTW. I mickey moused an air fitting that the thread was close, and clamped a rubber hose to it, and the part of the existing line that was still OK. I went up and changed the Oil again this week( I do a lot of miles), and noticed a wet spot at the bottom of the rad underneath the lower cooling line. No Drip, just a little wet. Checked the fluid once it was back on the ground, and it showed right full. Drove for 45 minutes, checked it again, and it was just a hair above full. I know I have to replace the line, but it's held great for 5000kms, so I'll wait until the spring. It's already Cold here in the Great White North.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote