SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
98SatSl2
98SatSl2 has a spectacular aura about98SatSl2 has a spectacular aura about

1998 SL1
Default rockauto.com

Is this where most people get their WIX #33731 fuel filter? Along with other parts?

To me the website seems a little "sketchy" but its probably because I've never used it. I googled reviews, but some websites had 2/5 stars and a couple had 4-5/5

98 Forrest Green manual SL1- Rufus
-198,500miles
-06/14/11-RIP-5/25/14-rear ended
98 Maroon manual SL1- Daphne
-96,xxx miles-115,xxx (as of 10/23/15) and counting
-06/12/14-hopefully forever

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98SatSl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98SatSl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98SatSl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: rockauto.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98SatSl2 View Post
Is this where most people get their WIX #33731 fuel filter? Along with other parts?

To me the website seems a little "sketchy" but its probably because I've never used it. I googled reviews, but some websites had 2/5 stars and a couple had 4-5/5
Yes, RockAuto is highly recommended. They do make mistakes but customer service is excellent if you have a problem and don't come off as a jerk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
code1bob
code1bob is a jewel in the roughcode1bob is a jewel in the roughcode1bob is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL1

I’ve bought a lot of parts from Rock Auto. I had one problem; a mislabeled Raybestos rotor that was not their fault, their customer service is excellent. They get 5/5 from me.

1997 SL1
5 speed manual
348,001 mi.+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to code1bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help code1bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
code1bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura aboutVUEmaniac has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

Rockauto is one of the better online sites to buy parts.

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
ajs_saturn
Advanced Member
ajs_saturn will become famous soon enoughajs_saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1
2001 SC1

I always buy from them. 75% of the time they have the best prices too.

2001 SL1 5spd - DOHC swap and MS in the works
Bought 02/27/14

2000 SL 5spd
Bought 04/05/05
Sold 06/14/10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ajs_saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ajs_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ajs_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
98SatSl2
98SatSl2 has a spectacular aura about98SatSl2 has a spectacular aura about

1998 SL1

Okay, sweet. Thank you all!

98 Forrest Green manual SL1- Rufus
-198,500miles
-06/14/11-RIP-5/25/14-rear ended
98 Maroon manual SL1- Daphne
-96,xxx miles-115,xxx (as of 10/23/15) and counting
-06/12/14-hopefully forever

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98SatSl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98SatSl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98SatSl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
KDulcimer
KDulcimer is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

I've had some problems with RockAuto in the past, but not anything that would make me recommend you go somewhere else. I honestly blame most of the issues on VW's complete lack of QC for the 3rd gen Golf for North America.

However, the time I ordered a drum and was sent a disk was entirely RockAuto's fault.

SaturnFans helper map: http://bit.ly/1uDorVF
Wife's: 98 SW2, 130k, auto trans, bought 01/2014
Mine: 07 Focus wagon, 5 speed, 380k km, bought 02/2015
02 SL sold after 3.5 years of faithful service.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KDulcimer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KDulcimer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KDulcimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
slapshot 11
slapshot 11 has a spectacular aura aboutslapshot 11 has a spectacular aura aboutslapshot 11 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1

I always checked prices when I redid my '99 SL1 and only bought from Rock once, their freight usually killed the price. I bought mostly from Ebay and Amazon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slapshot 11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slapshot 11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slapshot 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

I've gone to the Rock twice and so far so good. I am amazed at the selection they offer and the prices. I also like the free magnets for the refrigerator.

Q: Is there another website that compares?

P.S. I went to a GM website to get my OEM upper Engine mount after riding a shaky aftermarket one for almost two years. xoxo

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

I got my mounts from these guys. It was OK.

Upper:
http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm...-21012185.html

TX mount:
http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm...-21012951.html

Dogbones (uses 2):
http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm...-21013105.html

My car is much quieter now. My old TX mount was compressed. I don't know how bad it can get before it's considered worn out. Also, in the old dogbones, the rubber part in one end would wiggle in the frame. Again, I don't know how bad it can get before it's considered worn out. (18 year old rubber parts? probably worn out).

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

90% of the time Rockauto's shipping price is so unreasonable that what savings you get on the part is negated by shipping. May only apply to oversize parts like exhaust pipes but quite often I've found they want $30-$40 s/h for them when _everyone_ else wants under $10.

Only issue I had with them was someone put the wrong parking brake cables in the right box, lost nearly $40 on shipping charge's for the dang things (shipping back to them USPS like they were sent to me was $10 cheaper than what they charged to ship 'em to me!). Kinda makes it hard to want to buy from them again...

Hard to beat Amazon's $100/yr for free 2day shipping on 90% of their sales, also getting free movies and tv shows as well. Price's comparable to or better than RockAuto, though it's parts interchange idea is still in it's infancy.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

Last edited by fetchitfido; 09-19-2014 at 09:05 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
Foment_life
Foment_life is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
A: Compares, yes. Is better? No.

I use http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ from time to time. Their prices are sometimes better than RockAuto's, and when they're not they'll match. The UI is better than average, and their mobile app is very good. The biggest gripe I have with them is their Customer service department sucks, though I've only dealt with them on one occasion.

1999 Saturn SL2 186K **Daily Driver**
2007 Toyota Matrix XR 1.8L 91k //The Out-of-towner\\
1994 Suzuki Sidekick 185k <<Wife's Go-Kart>>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Foment_life's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Foment_life reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Foment_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #13
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1

I have had about ten great orders from rockauto.com and one problem in which I ordered a part their catalog claimed would fit my car, and when it didn't, they refused to refund my shipping charges (though they did accept the part back and refunded my purchase price).

So it's on you to make sure their catalog is correct, and the part they recommend is actually correct for your car. Otherwise, they're great: low prices, great selection, fast shipping.

'95 SL1 auto (RIP)
'98 SL2 5sp (RIP)
'01 SL2 auto (RIP)
'99 SC1 auto (Mom's...keeps on truckin')

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
irish56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
jcapartmentsale
jcapartmentsale is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
Depends what you want. I vary between RockAuto and buying from Advance Auto online with their 30% - 40% off coupon codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcapartmentsale's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcapartmentsale reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcapartmentsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #15
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

For that fuel filter, try NAPA.

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #16
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

$54 at RA and considerably more at NAPA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #17
EchoMirage
EchoMirage has a spectacular aura aboutEchoMirage has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL2

rockauto is very good. many, many times they are cheaper then buying at a store, and that INCLUDES shipping. ive bought wiper blades and paid shipping that were still cheaper then the exact same things in autozone. ive also bought parts that included shipping were cheaper then what the local parts store can get them for, let alone sell them to me.

rock also has a very wide variety of choices for the same part. different prices, different qualities.

if you do order several things, just make sure they dont ship from different warehouses, thereby incurring two separate shipping charges.

When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty
95 SL2 bought in 8/14 with 23K original miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EchoMirage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EchoMirage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EchoMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #18
carfreak09
carfreak09 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

I just ordered a front strut from rockauto late Wednesday night. I was shocked to receive it on Saturday! I didn't expect it until Monday or Tuesday so I would say their shipping is super fast. This is the second time I ordered from them and so far its been great. However, they don't stock OEM engine mounts so I was forced to use gmpartsdirect.com, which has the best prices by far for OEM parts, the only caveat being you have to know the part number as their system doesn't let you look up Saturns by model and year.

2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLS 43,500 miles - current
2013 Fiat 500 Turbo 8800 miles - my fun toy
1997 Saturn SL1 212,271 miles R.I.P.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carfreak09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carfreak09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carfreak09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #19
gchapell
gchapell has a spectacular aura aboutgchapell has a spectacular aura about

1998 SW2

Wix 33731 fuel filter $34.72 + shipping from USAFILTERSTORE.COM. Ordered through them and all was good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gchapell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gchapell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gchapell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #20
Baron5867
Advanced Member
Baron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really niceBaron5867 is just really nice

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
90% of the time Rockauto's shipping price is so unreasonable that what savings you get on the part is negated by shipping.
I have never found their shipping prices to be "unreasonable", and rarely found them to be a deal-killer. Sometimes you have to "adjust" in order to get the parts from the fewest, closest locations, but their site makes this easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
May only apply to oversize parts like exhaust pipes but quite often I've found they want $30-$40 s/h for them when _everyone_ else wants under $10.
(???) I believe I have paid about $10 shipping for front and intermediate pipes, and that has more than been compensated for by lower purchase price, lack of taxes and 5% discount.

They have screwed up very occasionally, but customer service was good in getting the problem taken care of.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Baron5867's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Baron5867 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Baron5867 is offline   Reply With Quote