SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
skydiveboy
skydiveboy is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Default code P0401 on SL1 99

Hi, I have error code P0401 Exhaust gas circulation and I have to pas the smog test in california, so I changed the EGR valve for a new one and clean the holes the best I could but the code is still there, if I delete the code with the scanner it comes back again and again after some miles, does anyone have any other suggestion ? this model does NOT have inverter valve so I can not change that, besides, does anyboy knows how to open the throttle body to clean the inside throttle body conducts ? I have no idea what else should I do, I already accelerate several times without the EGR valve to try to take out some carbon deposits but it did not make any change

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skydiveboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skydiveboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skydiveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
skydiveboy

1999 SL1
Default Re: code P0401 on SL1 99

actually what I was trying to say is how to remove the block that contains the EGR Passageway conducts to try to see if its clogged by carbon deposits, I do not have any idea how to remove to clean that EGR Passageway conducts, the point is to remove the code P0401 and I already changed the EGR valve but I still got the code

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help skydiveboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

"Passageway conducts"? If you mean 'conduit(s)' as in passages, refrain from using "conducts" as its being used incorrectly here. Passages or passageways are better terms.

Your first post is difficult to read and understand so don't expect replies without some effort in proof reading/editing before posting anything.

If you left the egr valve off the engine and started the engine, the engine should have revved immediately to programmed rev limits, 4k-4500 rpm. If this did not occur, the intake passage port is blocked and most likely clogged with exhaust deposits. Try searching richpin videos for egr valve cleaning and troubleshooting for blocked/clogged egr valve ports.

Last edited by fdryer; 09-10-2014 at 02:53 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
skydiveboy

1999 SL1

Thanks fdryer, yes I meant conduits or ducts or EGR Passageway conduits or EGR passages, sorry for my spelling and terms, I am learning

and sorry again but I did not understand what do you mean by " the engine should have "revved" immediately to programmed rev limits, 4k-4500 rpm. If this did not occur......"
what does it mean ? and do you think that the opening of the EGR Passageway block is difficult for a beginner like me ? because I could not find any info or video about that, this is a saturn SL1 99, thank you all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2014, 01:53 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When an egr valve is removed, two ports are exposed - one is the intake side to the intake manifold, the other is the exhaust side that goes to the exhaust manifold. The egr valve controls exhaust gases fed into the vacuum intake port for recycling some of the exhaust gases for emissions control. Leaving the egr valve off the engine with the exhaust and intake ports open allows the engine to suck in more air into the open intake port - this causes a runaway engine to rev up to programmed limits otherwise the engine would rev all the way above redline and if allowed, instant engine damage. The engine computer limits revving to 4k or 4,500 rpm. By seeing/hearing the engine rev automatically, the intake port is unblocked (as it should be). Not seeing the engine rev high means the intake port/passageway is clogged. Search for richpin youtube videos.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
skydiveboy

1999 SL1

actually the car CAN reach more than 4000 rev when I accelerate, so does it mean that the intake port may NOT be blocked ? and that may not be the reason of the P0401 ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You are misinterpreting information. Revving while driving is not the same as the engine freely revving while parked with the egr valve removed. Do not use your reasoning for two totally separate topics, driving at speed or having the engine idling, parked and the egr valve removed. Your unfamiliarity with engines and how they operate is confusing you and will not help here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!