SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
SilverSpectre
SilverSpectre is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Rear Brake Swap with SC2

Hello all.

I have been doing some research into putting rear disc brakes on my 07 Ion 3. My goal is to do it without switching to a 5 lug hub or getting 17 inch wheels.

It was suggested in an old thread that using the calipers, brackets, pads and rotors from an SC 2 could accomplish this goal. If this is true, how exactly would I go about installing the calipers and housing brackets themselves?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2007 Saturn Ion 3 QC - "The Silver Spectre"
Resurrected 12/29/11

OZ Allegerita Wheels, FE5 Suspension w/ adjustable end links, Eibach Pro Kit, Progress Rear Sway Bar, TWM Short Shifter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverSpectre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverSpectre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SilverSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Rear Brake Swap with SC2

i have great interest in this. youd have to see how well everything lines up, and whether or not a rotor can be placed on the rear hubs.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
SilverSpectre

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 2.2L

From what I understand, the rotors will fit. The rotors for the SC, just like the ion have a 4 x100 bolt pattern.

My main concern is how the caliper housing bracket will a fix to the axle.

Resurrected 12/29/11

OZ Allegerita Wheels, FE5 Suspension w/ adjustable end links, Eibach Pro Kit, Progress Rear Sway Bar, TWM Short Shifter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SilverSpectre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Especially with the rear suspension being a completely different setup...

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
SilverSpectre

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
Especially with the rear suspension being a completely different setup...
I know. I wouldn't even be considering this if I hadn't seen it suggested by another master member.

Resurrected 12/29/11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
SilverSpectre

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 2.2L

Here is what saturn69 said:

"High performance front rotors and pads and rear shoes would be cheaper and more effective, as the propotioning valve on the Ion is not set up for rear discs. I still think a cheaper, easier way would be to use the S-series rear discs, calipers and parking brake mechanism..."

Resurrected 12/29/11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
kevin.st56

2003 ION-2 Sedan

if need be, i can spend a day at pull apart and try to match the system. best place to try, as long as everything on both cars are there, and if both cars are on the lot. the nearest one from me does not have an SC2 unfortunately, but has 2 ions added within the last week

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
SilverSpectre

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.st56 View Post
if need be, i can spend a day at pull apart and try to match the system. best place to try, as long as everything on both cars are there, and if both cars are on the lot. the nearest one from me does not have an SC2 unfortunately, but has 2 ions added within the last week
that would be fantastic! please keep me posted. I will see if I can track down an SC to pull apart, and see what I can do with that.

I really wish we could get in contact with Saturn69 and see what he meant exactly when he suggested this idea. I did send him a personal message, but he never responded.

Resurrected 12/29/11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #9
kevin.st56

2003 ION-2 Sedan

there is another pullapart thats about an hour and a half away, but i dont think imma make that drive.

the only big concern whether if itll fit or not is seeing if there is any way of getting mounts for the caliper on the rear end. i was thinking wheel hubs, but they are almost identical. same mounting bolt position, but the ions have a wider gap between the mounts and the wheel studs. ill look at diagrams further to see if i see anything.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:41 PM   #10
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Can't be done plug and play.

The ION does not have the mount points for the rear caliper bracket that the S-series does.
You would be looking at a lot of custom fabrication.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:57 PM   #11
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post

The ION does not have the mount points for the rear caliper bracket that the S-series does.
^^^ +1,000

This thread has epic fail written all over it.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #12
SilverSpectre

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 2.2L

QUOTE=ssicarman;2089227]Can't be done plug and play.

You would be looking at a lot of custom fabrication.[/QUOTE]

I had a feeling this would be the case. I have no fear of doing some fabrication.

My hypothesis is that once you weld in mounting points for the caliper housing bracket, everything else will fit into place the way its supposed to. Of course the key would be to make sure that the mounting points are set in the correct place.

How is this idea any different from making a smaller version of the kit SSBC or Powell made? Their kits are using the same principal, you have to create a mounting point for the caliper housing bracket. However, both companies say that you need to have a 17 inch wheels. The SC did not have 17 inch wheels, and yet had disc brakes in the rear with a 4 by 100 wheel bolt pattern. See where I'm going?

Resurrected 12/29/11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpectre View Post
QUOTE=ssicarman;2089227]Can't be done plug and play.

I had a feeling this would be the case. I have no fear of doing some fabrication.

My hypothesis is that once you weld in mounting points for the caliper housing bracket, everything else will fit into place the way its supposed to. Of course the key would be to make sure that the mounting points are set in the correct place.

How is this idea any different from making a smaller version of the kit SSBC or Powell made? Their kits are using the same principal, you have to create a mounting point for the caliper housing bracket. However, both companies say that you need to have a 17 inch wheels. The SC did not have 17 inch wheels, and yet had disc brakes in the rear with a 4 by 100 wheel bolt pattern. See where I'm going?[/QUOTE]

With the exception of the hubs & rotors, the kits were probably just Red Line parts. Hence the need for 17-inch wheels.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #14
SilverSpectre

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post

How is this idea any different from making a smaller version of the kit SSBC or Powell made? Their kits are using the same principal, you have to create a mounting point for the caliper housing bracket. However, both companies say that you need to have a 17 inch wheels. The SC did not have 17 inch wheels, and yet had disc brakes in the rear with a 4 by 100 wheel bolt pattern. See where I'm going?
With the exception of the hubs & rotors, the kits were probably just Red Line parts. Hence the need for 17-inch wheels.[/QUOTE]

Let me pose this question then: does anyone know how the SSBC kit (or any other rear disc conversion kit for the ion) connects the caliper housing bracket to the rear axle? The answer to this question may give me what I need to make this happen.

Resurrected 12/29/11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #15
kevin.st56

2003 ION-2 Sedan

why not look into a redline axel beam?
why try and build one, when you can look at one that came with disks, and compare fitment of the s-series to the RL frame?

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #16
SilverSpectre

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
why not look into a redline axel beam?
why try and build one, when you can look at one that came with disks, and compare fitment of the s-series to the RL frame?

that is a good point. I think I will try that, however yes my concern would be over the fitment of those calipers. see what you can find out on your end as well.

Resurrected 12/29/11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #17
kevin.st56

2003 ION-2 Sedan

im just concerned about how the RL calipers are mounted VS the s-series. if i can actually see how they are setup, and see it on a parts diagram, then it be easier. it be even better if i had a RL and an s-series to look at personally. i dont think PAP has any s-series that are nearby. ill keep searching.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #18
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Some of the previous posts might be a bit confusing because a bit of the code was missing in SilverSpectre's reply to ssicarman's quote to so it wasn't being formatted correctly. The missing code then messed up my response when I wanted to quote SilverSpectre. This is how my response to SilverSpectre (and SilverSpectre's response to ssicarman) should have looked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpectre View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post

With the exception of the hubs & rotors, the kits were probably just Red Line parts. Hence the need for 17-inch wheels.

Last edited by ruley73; 08-29-2014 at 01:00 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #19
SilverSpectre

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
im just concerned about how the RL calipers are mounted VS the s-series. if i can actually see how they are setup, and see it on a parts diagram, then it be easier. it be even better if i had a RL and an s-series to look at personally. i dont think PAP has any s-series that are nearby. ill keep searching.
Specs time

SC Rotors:
Outer Diameter - 9.64 inches
Height - 1.63 inches
Thickness - 0.435 inch

Redline Rotors:
Outer Diameter - 10.63 inches
Height - 1.77 inches
Thickness - 0.551 inch

As I suspected, the Redline rotors are slightly bigger. Therefore, using the Redline calipers with the SC rotors probably would not work.

I can't yet confirm if the caliper housing bracket from the SC would fit in the mounting points for the Redline axle. If it does, this could work with little to no modification required.

However, I believe I have an idea to modify the existing mount points on the Redline axle to accommodate the SC calipers if needed. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Resurrected 12/29/11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #20
kevin.st56

2003 ION-2 Sedan

if we were to use the SC rotors, all you would need to do is make sure SC calipers would fit, and hope that the RL mounts dont make the calipers too far to the outside edge of the rotor, or too close too the hub. the next thing would be brake lines, but lets not go there untill we confirm fitment of calipers.

Edit: just done a search on a nearby pull apart, and there is a ton of S-series, newest being 2001, but not SC's. i cant tell if there are any RLs bec most of the time, theyll put all submodels (sedan, QC, RL) under one model (ion), so the only way for me to tell if there is a RL or not, is to go there. i will be taking a trip there this weekend.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!