SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
dubbadan
dubbadan is on a distinguished road

Default Swapping the motor and transmission on a 2000 LS2. Need advice.

Recently I was able to get my hands on a totaled LS2 just like mine, same year and all, for a very good price. Everything is pretty much cherry they only totaled it because of the age and the fact that the airbags deployed.

The car only has about 40,000 miles on it so In addition to all the interior, I want to swap the engine and transmission.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this before? What all needs to come with the newer engine? such as control modules and the like?

Any advice or a point in the right direction will be very appreciated! Thank You!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dubbadan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dubbadan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dubbadan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Swapping the motor and transmission on a 2000 LS2. Need advice.

My guess (V6?) is with the same year and options, just replacing the engine and xmission should go right in, as in plug n' play but without the electronics. By all means, save all the electronics; the ecm on top of the engine, the bcm on top of the glove box, the tcm under the right/passenger cowling, and anything else you're interested in saving. I would not use the ecm from the new engine because there will be a mismatch of Passlock security - using the new ecm won't work with the existing bcm in the car unless you perform a 30 minute relearn procedure, marrying the new ecm to the original bcm. If you decide to use the new ecm then it will be easier to use the new bcm along with it but.........the new bcm will have its mileage showing in the odometer and......you'll lose use of your remotes because they only work on the original bcm. If you choose to use new ecm and bcm to take advantage of lower mileage on the odometer, you lose use of remotes unless you pay GM to program your remotes to the new bcm.

Keep the new ecm, bcm and tcm as spare parts in case you need them down the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
dubbadan
dubbadan is on a distinguished road

Thank you. Yes its the V6 3.0 probably should have included that in the original post. As for the ECM, would there be any advantage to using the lesser used one from the parts car? Also, my clicker broke but i have the two from the other car i was going to get programmed to my car anyways.

Im switching out all of the locks too because my keys are very worn out and the other ones are in great shape. I was able to get the tumblers out of the trunk and doors but i havent looked at the ignition. should that be a fairly straightforward removal/replacement?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dubbadan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dubbadan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dubbadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Review my previous post. Mixing/replacing ecm's or bcm's means a 30 minute relearn. Lock cylinders are remove and replace.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

You should have a good look at the timing belt on that "new" engine. Although well within the recommended distance, it is very long on time. Look for cracks at the inside corners of the teeth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Colorado Expat
Colorado Expat is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
... the electronics; the ecm on top of the engine, the bcm on top of the glove box, the tcm under the right/passenger cowling...
I'm not doing a swap, but thanks for the locations! I'm installing a Ham radio in my LS2 (see separate thread), and this information will help in routing my power & control cables as far as possible from the car's electronics - driver's side, beneath the carpeting between the seat and door sill...

Also, I'd second the timing belt advice - it'll be a lot easier to replace while the engine's out!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Colorado Expat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Colorado Expat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Colorado Expat is offline   Reply With Quote