SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
navygunner
navygunner is on a distinguished road

Default Front Brakes still dragging

United States
Saturn 2004
Model: VUE AWD
Engine: 3.5 v-6 honda

My front brakes are still dragging and getting very hot. I started with pads and rotors. then changed pass caliper. Smoked it bad caliper i thought. replaced it along with new pass rotor new front pads new front brake lines r/l fire wall sides. Bled it all down, fluid shoots out across to the wheel well on each side not just trickling out. took it for a ride still getting too hot to touch. Bad front pass hub and bearing replaced it. Found master cylinder gunked up with junk took it apart cleaned it put it together flushed it put in all new fluid. Still pads and rotors getting hot some smoke. check valve from intake to booster not holding pressure replaced it pads still dragging on rotors and failing to release. I am running out of options Please help

Already Tried:

I have replaced the master cylinder, calipers, and now the HCU. The last expert had me replace the ABS hydraulic control unit. Rear brakes work fine. It's all wheel drive with the brake pedal pressed in all 4 wheels stop when it s in the air off the ground. none of them will turn unless you release the brake where the front drag and the back seem to be free. the right front where the smoke comes from even spins free when i first replaced everything. Now after the new pump the dragging is back on the front side and the smoking is back

Both sides get hot after 10 min of driving during normal braking. The right front is very hot to the touch enough to burn skin and smoking. Both sides have been bled down and both line blown out and replaced entire fluid system is new.

I'm at a loss and scratching my head with what to do next?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to navygunner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help navygunner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
navygunner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Front Brakes still dragging

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygunner View Post
replaced it along with new pass rotor new front pads new front brake lines r/l fire wall sides.
Did this include the rubber hoses going to the Calipers?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Bled it all down, fluid shoots out across to the wheel well on each side not just trickling out.
PLease explain this as it's not exactly normal... process.. for bleeding brakes.

YOu said you replaced all brake hoses?

THe rebuilt calipers have greased slide pins?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
navygunner

once i changed out the new ABS hydraulic control unit in i replaced the master cylinder the brake lines left and right they were both filled w/ crap. Nothing would pass through either.

I though a previous owner may have used or contaminated the brake fluid so I bled it completely out and changed out any rubber hoses that may have been old cracked or corroded. All fluid in the system was replaced by Dot 3 synthetic brake fluid

I believe the brakes were bled properly meaning it didn't trickle out there was some pressure behind it. and the calipers have new hoses and the slides greased.

The 1st smoked caliper the slides didnt move and melted and cracked the rubber puck over the piston had to replace the right front caliper a second time

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help navygunner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Guns,
Where are you located at, if someone is close we might be able to get hands on with you.
Now onto your problem, have you replaced both front rubber lines, don't go by appearance, they may look fine but at that age probably not. When you worked on the calipers did you grease the both slide pins and clean out the slide holes prior to putting the pins back in? How does brake pedal feel when you step on it? If you have replaced lines, hub/wheel bearings, greased pins and have good pads and rotors, then with all other work done, you SHOULDN'T have any troubles....

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
navygunner

John,
I'm in western Mass I replaced both rubber liners, greased both slide pins and cleaned out the slide holes prior to putting the pins back. Pedal was normal not hard high or low. Yesterday it way high almost to the top and the front brakes were dragging. Replaced right hub/wheel bearings, greased pins and have good pads and rotors Still baffled on what the problem is???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
John,
I'm in western Mass I replaced both front ?rubberliners?( flexible brake lines going to each caliper),
true?

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Guns,
Where in western Mass?? I am in Newport and my weekends are mostly free. Sounds like you have checked just about everything, but I we can get together and take a look. Another set of eyes is never a bad thing. Let me know, PM me and we will see what we can work out.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Vues are the only vehicles collecting a history of failed brake lines (front) where they deteriorate internally, choking brake fluid by the clamp on the strut/wheel well area. A member posted a cutaway showing off the choke point. With new flexible brake lines, your brakes were expected to work like new. Something may be causing the front brakes to continue holding pressure - possibly the linkage between the brake pedal and/or brake master cylinder? When replacing brake master cylinders, reusing the same brake rod should be a no-brainer unless dimensions changed to the rod or master cylinder.

With engine off front wheels jacked up and free, press the brake pedal a few times to exhaust the vacuum reserve for the power brake assist. Pedal should firm up. Release pedal and see if both front wheels turn (expected). If one or both still won't turn, manually pull the brake pedal back. Does the pedal travel back or not? If the master cylinder was replaced, the brake rod was factory pre adjusted with a little play when pedal is homed. The rod is calibrated so the vacuum brake boost unit valve is closed, preventing vacuum from powering up and applying power assisted braking. Normally, this isn't an issue but attention is needed when replacing master cylinders and ensuring brake pressure is released when the master cylinder and vacuum boost unit is homed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
goose737700
goose737700 has a spectacular aura aboutgoose737700 has a spectacular aura about

Ughh This is my main reason for not liking my vue. I still don't buy the check-valve in the hose theory being purported here on this forum. When someone cracks this nut my faith in my car will be restored and i can go ahead and fix my warped front rotors again, otherwise it's just not worth the trouble. There is something inherently wrong with the brake system on these SUV's. So because of all the myths of failing hoses the OP replaced his for no reason, as did I and I'm sure many many people on this forum. I spoke to my brother in law who is a Die hard GM gearhead and relayed our woes, he said GM makes ****ty Brake calipers and he replaces them every time he does his brakes on his truck.
BTW thanks for your service NavyGunner good luck with this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goose737700's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goose737700 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goose737700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose737700 View Post
I still don't buy the check-valve in the hose theory being purported here on this forum.
I guess you didn't see how this thread ended . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193692

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #12
navygunner

I replaced both left and right corroded lines once. If the lines were clogged why would fluid still be coming out when I bleed them. I have blown the left side through with cleaner a solid stream of presurized fluid and then bled the whole right side again still dragging. Are you still stelling me it's a bad right brake line?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Are you still stelling me it's a bad right brake line?
NO - I know that's not your problem. I'm just telling goose737700 that the Hoses are not a "purported" problem - they are a definite, known failure mode, and we've seen a rash of them lately. I have no idea what your problem is - definite head scratcher.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I replaced both left and right corroded lines once.
That we know- what we don't know is if you've replaced the FLEXIBLE RUBBER LINES going to each caliper????????????????

THEy fail by holding pressure-causing brakes to drag.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #15
navygunner

Yes, I've replaced both the FLEXIBLE RUBBER LINES going to each caliper

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #16
Rivernut
Rivernut will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L
1996 SL2

I'm in Western Ma, Sunderland. I posted one of the earlier discussions of self pinched front flexible brake lines. My '03 V6 had it happen twice. The bracket that is wrapped around the hose is the culprit. As it rusts it grows in size and restricts the hose, forming a one way check-valve. Once that happens it becomes self-perpetuating as it causes heat and more pressure and more heat, and more pressure...
The easy way to check for this us to jack up the offending wheel. Cool it off first with water so you don't burn yourself. Loosen the bleed screw and see if that alliows the wheel to turn free - releases pressure on the caliper. Also check that the caliper(s) are not mounted upside-down. My Vue has about 250,000 miles and has the original master cylinder and ABS unit. I have had about everything else go bad so would be surprised that there is an issue with either the ABS or the master cylinder. It is most likely local to caliper and line.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rivernut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rivernut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rivernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #17
shermjw
shermjw is on a distinguished road

Hey ...

I just wanted to let you know that our 2004 VUE AWD 3.5 V6 was having the same problem with dragging front brakes; this was after I installed rebuilt calipers, new rotors and pads in Oct. 2013.

I just found out about the issue with the rubber lines where they deteriorate and create 1 way "check valve" behavior. Its very true and its the first time I have ever experienced this bizarre problem. As soon as we replaced the rubber hoses, the brake feel and operation were perfect. Unfortuanately, it chewed up my drilled rotors and new pads, but they still work.

For the $35 that I spent with Rock Auto, I will be adding these parts to my brake repair procedure on other cars, when they get older. Its a minor expense with big results when you are trying to do the right thing.

I hope it gets better for you bud
C ya
John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shermjw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shermjw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shermjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #18
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Yes, I've replaced both the FLEXIBLE RUBBER LINES going to each caliper
With new lines? or from JY?

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!