SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
jojoskylar630
jojoskylar630 is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 Saturn Ion 2 - recall

I'm new to this so please bear with me and my apology for being so long winded, I just need some help. I have a 2004 Saturn Ion 2 which I bought brand new. A few months ago I began having problems where the car just dead stopped while I was driving but after a couple of minutes started back up. I went to my closest Chevy dealer and they claimed it was not part of the recall and instead had me fix some other things at a cost of $280. After a couple of weeks I began having issues where the key was getting stuck and my wipers would just start on their own. Again Chevy said it was not a recall issue and I would have to wait until my parts got there. About 2 weeks ago I parked at Walmart and after about 15 minutes came out to a car that would not start. Tried everything from getting a boost to checking each and every fuse and nothing. Called GM, they provided a tow to the dealer after 4 1/2 hours. Next day Chevy said no resolution so they gave me a loaner. After 3 days Chevy says they replaced the recalled parts with someone else's since mine hadn't arrived but then tell me after a diagnostic, I needed a new starter at a cost of $580 because the car wouldn't start. That's outrageous!!! I paid to have my car towed to my mechanic. My mechanic said I still had life to my starter but would follow the diagnostic recommendation from Chevy and also replaced my battery since it was 10 years old already. Car started and ran a few minutes then it was parked and waiting for me. I get there and car starts but immediately turns off. After an hour it finally stays on. I drive less than a mile when merging on to the road the car stops while driving. Another tow back to the mechanic who says the keys have not been re-programmed. Tow to Chevy who tell me I have to pay another $120 for a diagnostic. I say I'm not paying for another one when they told me I needed a new starter. Now they claim they never said that but I have their paperwork stating that it needs a new starter and customer refused. Tow back to the mechanic. I have finally received my car back after almost 2 weeks, 5 tows, 2 rental cars and $900, $250 of that went to an electrician that found when replacing the ignition parts, wires to the computer were "pinched" causing the computer not to be able to read the keys and now the keys and the key FOB don't work to open or close my driver's side door. I checked my old original key and it works to turn on my car!!! So now my frustration....if Chevy had in fact replaced everything they said they did, which is the ignition switch, ignition switch cylinder and 2 keys, why can my old key work? If they did diagnose and said I needed a new starter, which after replaced didn't actually need an emergency replacement, shouldn't I be reimbursed for that? And why after their 27 point check did they not find a fault in a 10 year old original factory battery? GM said they would reimburse they initial $418 I spent but I feel they should reimburse for everything else that happened because the initial replacement caused the other issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jojoskylar630's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jojoskylar630 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jojoskylar630 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2
Default Re: 2004 Saturn Ion 2 - recall

Well, it could be worse. You could let my nephew drive to the store to buy some smokes.

(jojoskylar630, have you tried the “Ion” section of Saturnfans?)

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Oh, hey, what’s this?

I,...I think I can fix it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Note ghostly (lazy) chupacabra anomaly^

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

so as a dealer tech for caddy/buick/gmc and having done this recall I will tell you this

1 the new keys and lock cyclinder are coded to the tumbler code on file it left the factory with. so yes your old keys if you have any will work and so will the new keys after they have the shoulders filed down(I don't agree with this but that is what they tell us to do)so they will fit the trunk&door cyclinders..the old keys have a step to allow them to go in further the new keys don't..

2 while the new keys are marked pk3 they are not programmed in saturns.. the passlock sensor is looking at the cyclinder rotation and resistance across the feedback line to drop to a set value in a set amount of time...so your mechanic is wrong...

3 I have no idea why they would comdem a starter nor would the starter have anything to do with stalling issues along with what I interpret from your story to be a "does crank over but no start issue" or am I wrong and it's a "no crank,no start..while it seems a matter of semantics it makes a big difference in the diagnostic procedure I would use..so a little califcation on this would be nice...btw when I say it "cranks" that means you hear/feel the engine turn over..

4 I would like to see pic's of these pinched wires I did the recall for all 3 pieces on my 78yr old neighbors ion and I can tell you there is 3 screws and 1 4 wire connecter to the ign switch..unless the tech was a total hack I can't see this happening ..also a vtd theft relearn has to be done as part of the recall and if the wires at the ign switch were pinched and not working the vtd would not relearn(however upon further thought and knowing the quality of techs in the field at both indie shops and dealers is would not surprise me if that was the alleged bad starter diag due to an intermitant reading of the passlock cyclinder rotation causeing a no crank) also since these are 22 gage metric wires how did the electrtion repair them???

5 given the symptoms and no codes to read unless you can have the ecm/bcm/vtd scanned I would be looking at eather a power/grounding issue at the ubec or a crank sensor...

6 sounds like a good time to gater all your records from all shops since this started..and calmly make an apt with the service mgr at the chevy place explain what the car is doing..do not be a shmuck..(I can tell you as an insider abusive people are not given as much help as those who are reasonable..remember it's not how we fall..everyone falls..it's how you get up that counts..)you get more with honey than vinager...explain what it does when it does it show what you have paid and the diag that was done and what was replaced(they will have the records too if they did it)..ask him if there is anything that you and he could do working as a team to make the car reliable again and figure out what the root cause is cuz by trial and error you and the dealer know what it is not..the repairs done according to you were what they recommended(I don't doubt you bro im just not there) and you feel "very disappointed" and are not sure if thediag was correct and could they please reevaluate the condition as this was your origanal complaint you brought it in before the recall...im sure he will help you..also sure you may have to contribute some to this venture and I know you already have quite abit.but see what they will do you might be supprised or I will..

good luck

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
jojoskylar630
jojoskylar630 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback. Here are some answers I'm guessing will help. On July 31 car was running fine, went shopping, came out 15 minutes after parking, car wouldn't crank at all. Turned the key and did air, nothing. After everything I've found out via 3 other mechanics, they can't all be wrong. They believe in replacing the ignition cylinder/switch...maybe putting the parts back may have intertwined a wire which either cut off or didn't signal the computer properly. Once the electrician hooked up the car to the diagnostic computer, the bad/loose wire was found and once placed properly now the car runs. The issue now is the key fob for opening and closing the doors and enabling the alarm are not working. My friend told me it could be as simple as re-coding by the dealer. The drivers side door will not open or close via the key either but I can close the doors by pressing the lock via the inside of the car. My frustration is obviously finding out by 3 separate mechanics (who do not know each other) that my issue seems to all be associated with one simple mistake and had Chevy just looked at the problem and done the diagnosis the vast majority of my out of pocket expense could have been avoided. Instead I was greeted with I don't know what I'm talking about, the mechanics are all wrong, I have to pay to diagnose something where I feel if you did the right thing and the car won't start, why would you release the car without seeing if it was your doing? GM agreed to reimburse the initial expense. Now I have to go back to them to reimburse most of the other expenses I can attribute to the original error. Believe me, I am a woman on a mission. I have kept each and every receipt and documented every phone call and message.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jojoskylar630's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jojoskylar630 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jojoskylar630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

still having some comm issues here...

1 I agree the remote fob should have been reprogramed after the vtd was relearned..however have the fob tested or replace the batt.the older fobs have a little finger that contacts the batt and they have a tendancy to pop of the ctkbord when dropped to many times

2 you state the drivers door lock will not turn with the new key???if so they forgot to file the shoulder down..(however I would want to know if the same key works in the pass door and trunk cyclinders 1st before judgment)unless it woks in the pass door,trunk,glovebox.. if it does work in the other locks 1 of 2 things is going on..eather that door has a different coded cyclinder I find that unlikely.. or the plastic clip that attaches the lock cyc rod to the latch has broken the plastic retainer is 10 yrs old and it is possible report back if the key unlocks the trunk and other locks 1st

as for the 3 other mechanics I don't know them or their level of skill or knolage of gm and saturns.i do know of all the techs at my dealer(there are 13 others im the only one who knows Saturn's)they run from them as do a lot of other indie tech's...I would beleave this electrition guy if they were pictures.. in this day and age I have and use a cell phone and didital camera to protect myself to record damage caused by others before I fix it so there is no question about what was wrong..pictures don't/can't lie...as I said I have done many of these recalls and you would have to be hardpressed to pinch the wire.but stranger things have happened....

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Just so S-Series drivers do not fear the Ion. The Ion recalls have nothing to do with driving across 4 lanes of traffic in a 35 mph zone; bumping over a low-rise curb; driving in a straight line for 50 yards and into a power transmission tower.

As a critical safety feature, the Saturn Ion is equipped with a "brake pedal" and a vacuum reserve to assist in slowing the ve-hickel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!