SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
Steffcan
Steffcan is on a distinguished road

Question 2002 Saturn SL2 help?

Hi. I bought a used 2002 saturn sl2 a month ago. The check engine light was on since I bought it so I went to get it checked out. I got these codes: p0133, p0113, p0341, and p0442.
Some things I have noticed about the vehicle since I've had it are:
1) It can sometimes be difficult to turn the key to start the car, it just won't turn. I've become used to it and can usually turn it on the first try 95% of the time. Also, sometimes the car won't "lock" (when the steering wheel locks) when I turn it off, but if I tap the ignition it locks.
2) Sometimes the "low traction" light comes on when I'm driving, i'm usually on 35/45mph roads. When this happens the wheels lose power as a safety feature. There is a traction button that is automatically on when the car is turned on and if I press it off then the wheels don't lose power.
3) When on the highway (55mph-ish) sometimes it is hard to get the car up to speed. I will press the gas petal down and the rpm's will get higher but the mph will not increase unless I release the gas for a few seconds and kind of gradually get it back up to speed.

I want to get an idea of what might be wrong with the car, I will take it to a mechanic soon but I want some input on the problem(s) from different people.
Any ideas are welcome! Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steffcan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steffcan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steffcan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
connorwm
connorwm is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
Default Re: 2002 Saturn SL2 help?

From my experience the key not turning has to do with the key being worn out. The key that came with my car was so worn out that it did that (or at least that is what I attribute it to). I simply just had copies made and those work much better. Sometimes they won't turn either so I flip the key to the other side and it works first try. I believe it is just a combination of the ignition cylinder and key being worn in.
The problem with the locking may be not turning the key ALL the way back towards the left when you are turning it off. You should see a little "LOCK" label next to the ignition cylinder. If the key position is between there and "ACC" then the car itself is not locked and neither is the ignition. Thus it can actually be started by shoving a screwdriver or some other key in there and turning it.

Point 2, sounds like some kind of sensor is getting messed up in the traction control system. I'd look into those.

I looked those codes up in my Haynes manual for the S-Series:
P0442 is one that comes on in the winter time for me and leaves by spring for the past 2 years. It means there's a medium size leak in the EVAP system. EVAP system is how unspent fumes from the engine get displaced back to the gas tank so the engine runs a bit greener. I got annoyed earlier this year with it and just wiggled some hoses all around trying to find it. I turned the car back on and the light went off.

P0133 - "Upstream oxygen sensor response slower than minimum required switching frequency" This sounds like a wire or the sensor itself.

P0113 - "Intake air temperature sensor input above maximum acceptable range" Sounds like it might be a similar problem to the previous one.

P0341 - My manual for some reason didn't have this one but it appears to be some sort of problem with the camshaft position sensor.

I would attribute the third point you posted to being a combination of the above. Possibly just need a tune-up with some new spark plugs, coolant flush, oil change, air filter (if its really bad), or transmission fluid flush.

Hope that all helps!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to connorwm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help connorwm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
connorwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
PNO TECH
PNO TECH is on a distinguished road

Welcome!
If your mechanic doesn't drive one of these cars/his lot doesn't always have at least one of them in it, do yourself a big favor(and save $!), and search those codes on this forum.
Example: we bought a 10yo, 100k SW2 for $600 because the owner's mechanic thought it had a blown headgasket: he didn't know Saturns. After some searching and troubleshooting, I replaced a $25 fan motor. Still running 50k later.
Another: I put Bosch Platinum spark plugs in a Saturn because they worked well in my Subarus & VWs. Ran like crap! Searched here and found that plain copper(and cheaper!) plugs were what these cars like.
So, check your oil often, change your trans fluid every 30k, and smile as you pass by all those gas stations.

Cheers!
Scot

"I'm fine with the laws[of gravity]. It's the harsh minimum sentencing guidelines I'm having an issue with." -Darby Conley

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PNO TECH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PNO TECH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PNO TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
Steffcan
Steffcan is on a distinguished road

Thank you connorwm and PNO TECH for all the input!

I will definitely check up on what kind of parts go together well with my Saturn! I never thought about knowing which specific parts go well with my car.

Also, the P0341 does refer to the cam position sensor, but my specific car doesn't actually HAVE that part in it, which may be why you couldn't find it in your manual? I've been researching it and asking people and most of them say I should get the spark plug/wires changed and that should help.

And my key is pretty worn so I'll probably get it re-made.

I think she just needs a tune-up most of all. Thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steffcan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steffcan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steffcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
walke2jd
walke2jd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffcan View Post

And my key is pretty worn so I'll probably get it re-made.
I had similar issues with my ignition cylinder and copied keys didn't work. I just popped the cylinder out and ground off the fins and now it works every time. This also allows you to turn it with anything flat, like a screwdriver, etc, but my door still locks and I feel comfortable that there aren't too many Saturn thieves around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walke2jd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walke2jd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walke2jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Most of the time the lock cylinder acting up is due to a worn key or the brass filings from the key gumming up the lock cylinder mechanism, You can try a new key from the GM garage and it wouldnt hurt to remove the lock cylinder and clean it out manually, I would do a tune up using the OEM NGK plugs and a decent set of plug wires, The O2 sensor code could be a vacumm leak or the sensor itself is getting tired.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
Vinnyboy2590
Vinnyboy2590 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: 2002 Saturn SL2 help?

Hi everyone,

I also had a problem with the P0341 code. Unfortunately I snapped one of the bolts. From what I have read so far is it needs to be grounded by these bolts. Is there any way to fix this problem without extracting the broken bolt? I guess I can try if nothing else is possible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vinnyboy2590's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vinnyboy2590 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vinnyboy2590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Being a new saturn owner I'd suggest you start here

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=177672

Welcome aboard.

Highmile
95 SL1 553k and counting

Highmile
95 sl1 496k (rebuilt engine)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote