SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Texas_North
Texas_North is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default 2002 SL2 Electrical Issues

I've used this forum as a reference for maintenance on my car before and it's always been an invaluable tool. I'm hoping you all could help me with my latest issue:
My 120kish 2002 SL2 with a 5 speed and no ABS is having electrical issues. When I started the car today, the power locks began to have a fit- first the passenger rear door, then the driver's door, then all of them. It was enough to toggle the lock at times, but was a constant switching back and forth. I tried pulling the fuse marked "windows", but this wasn't any help- I think they're on the ECU circuit anyways? I ended up disconnecting the battery and caught a ride to work.

The car is otherwise fine. I did some work to the audio system the better part of 2 years ago. I just replaced the head and speakers with aftermarket units; no subwoofers or anything crazy. It's been fine so far, but I figure any bit of information helps.

I have no idea where to start to diagnose this. I'm mechanically inclined enough to follow a Richpin video, but that's about it. I have some money to replace parts, but don't want to start throwing parts at it because I'm a student and don't have much in the way of extra cash.
I thank you in advance. It may be a few hours before I'm back to give extra info as I'm at work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Texas_North's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Texas_North reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Texas_North is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 2002 SL2 Electrical Issues

You have a dirty or stuck switch. You have to remove and clean. The big search box in the center of the page will bring up posts with pictures etc. I detest power doors and windows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I detest power doors and windows.
I agree, Only more to break....

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
Texas_North

2002 SL2

[QUOTE=OldNuc;2084836]You have a dirty or stuck switch. You have to remove and clean. The big search box in the center of the page will bring up posts with pictures etc.

Thanks! Just went and did this, seems like the return springs in the switch finally bit the dust. Ended up pulling the entire switch and button assembly like a rotten tooth, problem's gone. Now to decide if I want to replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Texas_North reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Find a good one at the pick and pull, take it apart and carefully clean it up. With a little maintenance they last a long time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
Texas_North

2002 SL2

Will do. Since it's non essential and my power locks still work, I figure I'll just leave it as is until I end up at the salvage yard for whatever other component I need. Thanks again for all your help, it's very much appreciated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Don't wait too long to go shopping as all of those parts are going fast.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!