SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
NickL30
NickL30 has a spectacular aura aboutNickL30 has a spectacular aura about

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default cruise control not working

Got an 04 Ion level 3. I bought it and the cruise did not work for me. Now my car is an auto to manual swap car and I read there is a switch on the clutch pedal that needs to engage and wondered if that was installed or if it is somewhere else. I cannot start my car without my foot on the clutch.

I know this problem also has something to do with the cars lights. I did check the one ground at the head lights on the drivers side that I could find. Sanded it shiney. Is there a ground behind the tail lights as well? Did not remove those yet and could not find a ground in the trunk for the tail lights.

Are there other locations I need to check out as well? Perhaps where the headlights plug in or behind the steering wheel?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NickL30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NickL30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NickL30 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: cruise control not working

With a auto to manual swap, it'll probably never work again. There probably is no protocol in the bcm for the clutch switch. With an auto car, cruise only works with the car in a forward gear, and at least one main brake light in tact, and with the brake lights off, and going at least 25mph. With a manual car it has to be in gear (probably a forward gear, but I'm not going 25 in reverse to test this theory), with your foot of the brake and clutch pedals, and going at least 25mph. The sensors and wiring are so different, I doubt you will be able to get the car to work right, but good luck.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL30 View Post
Got an 04 Ion level 3. I bought it and the cruise did not work for me. Now my car is an auto to manual swap car and I read there is a switch on the clutch pedal that needs to engage and wondered if that was installed or if it is somewhere else. I cannot start my car without my foot on the clutch.

I know this problem also has something to do with the cars lights. I did check the one ground at the head lights on the drivers side that I could find. Sanded it shiney. Is there a ground behind the tail lights as well? Did not remove those yet and could not find a ground in the trunk for the tail lights.

Are there other locations I need to check out as well? Perhaps where the headlights plug in or behind the steering wheel?
This confirms that there is some sort of interaction going on between the BCM and the clutch switch if it is wired correctly. Do you know if the ECM was swapped or reprogrammed? If not, there's no way the ECM will allow the cruise to engage. Does the orange LED light up on the switch on the steering wheel when the button is turned on? If not, then the EPS (2A) fuse is blown or missing (which might also disable the electronic power steering).

Check the EPS (2A) and CRUISE (7.5A) fuses in the I/P fuse block. If one or the other is blown/missing then cruise will not work. I doubt this is the case, but it's worth a look. It's just hard to say what it could be. It all depends on if the manual trans conversion was done the right way as opposed to just rigging it up to make it work. Unfortunately, most folks don't go the extra mile when doing such modifications.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 08-07-2014 at 08:21 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
NickL30
NickL30 has a spectacular aura aboutNickL30 has a spectacular aura about

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

The little light does light up but the setting cruise control on the right side look pretty worn out so I wonder if the switch would just need replaced. I did check the fuses and they looked good.

When I first got the car the car was in limp mode due to the auto to manual swap. The person who did the swap never completed it I guess. I swapped in an ECM from a manual and all was well after I passlock matched the ECM to BCM. From what I understand the car was swapped out correctly. All the right changes in the right places from what I can tell. Can a disabled airbag light on the gauges deactivate the cruise as well? I am in the process of fixing one of the seat belts that was apparently blown (due to the ball bearing jingle) and I am hoping that is why the light is on so once that is fixed I hope the light goes away and somehow the cruise would work again.

I just figured that if the airbag is deactivated then the cruise would be deactivated as well some how.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NickL30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NickL30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NickL30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL30 View Post
The little light does light up but the setting cruise control on the right side look pretty worn out so I wonder if the switch would just need replaced. I did check the fuses and they looked good.

When I first got the car the car was in limp mode due to the auto to manual swap. The person who did the swap never completed it I guess. I swapped in an ECM from a manual and all was well after I passlock matched the ECM to BCM. From what I understand the car was swapped out correctly. All the right changes in the right places from what I can tell. Can a disabled airbag light on the gauges deactivate the cruise as well? I am in the process of fixing one of the seat belts that was apparently blown (due to the ball bearing jingle) and I am hoping that is why the light is on so once that is fixed I hope the light goes away and somehow the cruise would work again.

I just figured that if the airbag is deactivated then the cruise would be deactivated as well some how.
The disabled air bag will have no effect on the cruise control.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote