SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2014, 05:05 AM   #1
AprilSL1
AprilSL1 has a spectacular aura aboutAprilSL1 has a spectacular aura aboutAprilSL1 has a spectacular aura about

Default Parts Master fuel filter vs Wix fuel filter

Hello All!

I now have 117k miles on my 2000 Sl1 and I see changing the fuel filter is a task required at 100k.

So I was wondering what the difference is between the parts master and wix fuel filter, besides price?

What is more recommended?

Thanks!

April

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AprilSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AprilSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AprilSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1
Default Re: Parts Master fuel filter vs Wix fuel filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilSL1 View Post
Hello All!

I now have 117k miles on my 2000 Sl1 and I see changing the fuel filter is a task required at 100k.

So I was wondering what the difference is between the parts master and wix fuel filter, besides price?

What is more recommended?

Thanks!

April

The Saturn OEM filter can go way beyong 117K, I would leave it alone, That filter is very complex and has the pressure regulator built into it, However if replacement is decided it should be either OEM or WIX nothing else.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

I replaced mine around 140K as 'preventive' maintenance. As stated, probably not even needed. I just purchased the filter from the Saturn dealership before they all closed, had it laying around and had a bit of time on my hand, so I changed it.

If you decide to do it, just take your time as you are dealing with something flammable.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
KDulcimer
KDulcimer is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

As SL19302 said, Wix or nothing. However, I would change the fuel filter if I were you. Especially if the bolts look like they'll come out nicely. If the bolts look a little rusty, you should be fine, but if they look really rusty, you might want to figure on tapping them, as they are known to break.

Here's the ever-helpful Richpin with a video on changing the fuel filter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVeyA6B2afU

SaturnFans helper map: http://bit.ly/1uDorVF
Wife's: 98 SW2, 130k, auto trans, bought 01/2014
Mine: 07 Focus wagon, 5 speed, 380k km, bought 02/2015
02 SL sold after 3.5 years of faithful service.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KDulcimer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KDulcimer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KDulcimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
wingsauce7
wingsauce7 has a spectacular aura aboutwingsauce7 has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL19302 View Post
The Saturn OEM filter can go way beyong 117K, I would leave it alone, That filter is very complex and has the pressure regulator built into it, However if replacement is decided it should be either OEM or WIX nothing else.
What exactly have you seen go wrong with the R/R of the filter? As long as you get the 3 hoses where they belong, what's the big deal? Just curious..

2001 SL1
5 Speed
390,000 miles!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wingsauce7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wingsauce7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wingsauce7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #6
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsauce7 View Post
What exactly have you seen go wrong with the R/R of the filter? As long as you get the 3 hoses where they belong, what's the big deal? Just curious..
As SL19302 said, the fuel pressure regulator is part of the filter, and experience has shown that only the OEM and the WIX have the proper pressure. Some have tried other brands and the fuel pressure was not correct, and it needs to be. It isn't the remove/replace process, it is the actual quality of the filter, with the poor quality filters not being within spec.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, running nicely at 204K miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
wingsauce7

2001 SL1
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbox View Post
As SL19302 said, the fuel pressure regulator is part of the filter, and experience has shown that only the OEM and the WIX have the proper pressure. Some have tried other brands and the fuel pressure was not correct, and it needs to be. It isn't the remove/replace process, it is the actual quality of the filter, with the poor quality filters not being within spec.
I'm not trying to argue, but isn't the majority of the combustion controlled by the actual injector atomization? I'm really not sure of the exact system pressure (my SOHC SL1 runs at about 60psi). Whether I have 60 or 65 psi to the rail, the injector nozzles will only allow so much output?

Maybe I committed sacrilege last time I changed a filter, but I used a Duralast about 20,000 miles ago and it seems to run fine (Got lucky?).

2001 SL1
5 Speed
390,000 miles!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wingsauce7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Maybe I committed sacrilege last time I changed a filter, but I used a Duralast about 20,000 miles ago and it seems to run fine (Got lucky?).
I wouldn't worry about it. If it worked, it worked. Maybe they've improved the Duralast ones to meet the OEM specs. Maybe there was nothing wrong with them. Maybe people who installed aftermarket filters on their cars didn't install them correctly and had issues. I remember one of the more popular experts here, early on, was recommending a cheap Chevy fuel filter that many others had stated they had no issues with, so he decided to recommend it also. However, some people were having issues with the Chevy filter and he stopped recommending it - started telling people to get only the Wix.

If you're here long enough, you'll see (read) all sorts of opinions, that sometimes change.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
I'm not trying to argue, but isn't the majority of the combustion controlled by the actual injector atomization? I'm really not sure of the exact system pressure (my SOHC SL1 runs at about 60psi). Whether I have 60 or 65 psi to the rail, the injector nozzles will only allow so much output?

Your fuel pressure is to high at 60psi the Saturn spec is 46-51 psi, the quality of the aftermarket replacements with that regulator assembly are poor and very few manufacturers have gotten that regulator to work with factory specs, WIX is one of the brands that work correctly on the 98-02 S-Series

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
wingsauce7

2001 SL1
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL19302 View Post
Your fuel pressure is to high at 60psi the Saturn spec is 46-51 psi, the quality of the aftermarket replacements with that regulator assembly are poor and very few manufacturers have gotten that regulator to work with factory specs, WIX is one of the brands that work correctly on the 98-02 S-Series
...of course the 60 psi reading is with a Harbor Freight pressure gauge....

2001 SL1
5 Speed
390,000 miles!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Those HF units are just as accurate as anything else you will likely purchase and are much better bet than the FLAPS loaner.

Pressure above or below the spec posted above, 45-51psi can lead to engine damage or irritating codes and low fuel mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
wingsauce7

2001 SL1
2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Those HF units are just as accurate as anything else you will likely purchase and are much better bet than the FLAPS loaner.

Pressure above or below the spec posted above, 45-51psi can lead to engine damage or irritating codes and low fuel mileage.
What kind of engine damage OldNuc?

2001 SL1
5 Speed
390,000 miles!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #13
wingsauce7

2001 SL1
2000 SL1

sh1t. I hate to replace a 3 month old, $50 fuel filter, but ya'll are gonna give me nightmares. I sure don't want to induce injector damage or burn up my cat or worse..

Is the wix model the 33731? Someone said napa makes a decent one too?

2001 SL1
5 Speed
390,000 miles!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #14
lamping.ap
Advanced Member
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

NAPA sells a lot of WIX products under their name.

To the OP... I replaced mine (with OEM) when I noticed the car was no longer keeping pressure in the fuel line when the car was not running. Mine became problematic in my 98 some where between 120k and 130k mi in 2012. Only problems during install was the rusted bolts that broke that hold the plastic bracket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamping.ap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamping.ap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #15
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
sh1t. I hate to replace a 3 month old, $50 fuel filter, but ya'll are gonna give me nightmares. I sure don't want to induce injector damage or burn up my cat or worse..

Is the wix model the 33731? Someone said napa makes a decent one too?
Google is your friend, paranoia and blind faith is your enemy.

Unless you have evidence of running rich, codes, or inconsistencies in fuel pressure that would cause issues, a few PSI over spec isn't going to grenade any properly working engine. The car will adjust injector pulsewidth accordingly, and it will play with your trims a little different than a lower pressure. But unless it's enough of a pressure change to make it run grossly rich as WOT the chances are slim to none that it's going to cause any damage beyond setting a code or doing something that would let you know the system can't cope with the pressure.

As for MPG, unless the system can't cope with the added pressure, unlikely to drop and may even climb. Quite a few injectors will atomize fuel better as pressures rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. If it worked, it worked. Maybe they've improved the Duralast ones to meet the OEM specs. Maybe there was nothing wrong with them. Maybe people who installed aftermarket filters on their cars didn't install them correctly and had issues. I remember one of the more popular experts here, early on, was recommending a cheap Chevy fuel filter that many others had stated they had no issues with, so he decided to recommend it also. However, some people were having issues with the Chevy filter and he stopped recommending it - started telling people to get only the Wix.

If you're here long enough, you'll see (read) all sorts of opinions, that sometimes change.
Quit making sense and start spreading some fear mongering! They are trying to assimilate another into the cult of blind faith, and you can't do that by telling people they can use more than one part without fear of the car exploding!

But then again, neither of us has Stant thermostats, and we both get good MPG. What could we possibly know?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #16
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Incorrect or inconsistent fuel pressure will potentially result in engine performance issues long before you set any codes and you may never even set a code. The information relating to theses filter regulators is far from "fear mongering" or scare tactics. Taking advice from individuals with no experience with these units is not prudent either. If you choose to save $20.00 or so and gamble on your engine then have a nice day but don't come back her crying when you find out that marginally low fuel pressure and high load-high RPM operation results in burned exhaust valves or that marginally high pressure results in a marked decrease in MPG. These cheap, low quality filter/regulators either fail immediately or rapidly degrade over time. A few may even function correctly but for how long?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
What kind of engine damage OldNuc?
In the DOHC burned #3 exhaust valve on the left side caused by a lean condition at WOT or >75% throttle with heavy engine loads, happens very rapidly with no codes or noticeable running. This is a low pressure condition at high flow which is not detected with a static test. The 2000x S-10 filters that were popular here for a while tended to work fine for a period of time and then drift up to 60+ psi and set 172 codes along with significant MPG decreases. WIX makes/made the OEM filter/regulator and it is expensive for a reason.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #18
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Ahhh... so it's lean conditions caused by fuel pressures higher than spec? Try selling that to anyone that knows anything, it's laughable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Read it again very slowly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #20
lorentholcke
lorentholcke is on a distinguished road

Trust oldnuc on this one. Do not buy aftermarket! I made the mistake of getting fuel filters from autozone and right away noticed it ran like garbage. Long term fuel trims idles around 20, after about 15 minutes I was throwing codes reading it was running rich. Get the correct filter back on the car, code went away and long term fuel trims at idle went back to around 4 (much closer to the desired number). I did not check fuel pressure but I think the fuel trims alone show evidence that the built in FPR was not up to spec.

The sad thing is you can get the wix filter for less than you can get an aftermarket at most parts stores. I ordered from usafilterstore.com and I think it was around $30. Rockauto.com also has them for around $55 after shipping.

2001 SL1- 246xxx, Original clutch, transmission, and engine with no overhauls---Retired
2000 SW2- 150xxx, I wish it got the same gas mileage as the SL1
2013 Mazda3 i touring hatchback

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lorentholcke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lorentholcke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lorentholcke is offline   Reply With Quote