SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Pillar2004
Pillar2004 is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2
Dizzy Wheel covers???

Is there really no alternative to the stock wheel covers for my 2005 Relay? $50 for 1 brand new, or $30 for 1 used that looks like it was run over... Frustrating for sure.

I wish I had known the hubcaps the dealer had forced on weren't stock when we bought it -_-

Anybody have any suggestions?

~2005 Saturn Relay-2 142k~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pillar2004's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pillar2004 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pillar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Wheel covers???

Get over it and move on. Wheel covers are wheel covers and come in all sizes and designs. Presuming your wheel rims are steel, there are many aftermarket wheel covers to suit your idea of either an original or different appearance.

Not trying to be callous with my remarks but I just replaced my original (11yr old) Saturn aluminum rims after denting three of them over the years. They were already scratched (chrome) and corroded from incorrect wheel weights with the clear coating flaking off around the rim edges, making them ugly. I didn't justify repairing or replacing them until the dents and worn appearance weren't worth the repairs to refurbish them back to like new condition. I bought new rims at relatively low cost from a national distributor. The new rims look fine without being conspicuous. I took the old rims to the local recycling center and the money from there paid for balancing all four new wheels.

You always have choices; remove the remaining three wheel covers and refinish all four wheel rims for the basic black look, find a pair of wheel covers to fit the left or right side so either side looks correct, keep searching for one original replacement or find out if hub covers fit instead of a full wheel cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Pillar2004
Pillar2004 is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2

I can't buy just any old cover. The large lug nuts press against the wheel cover too much to sit securely. Even if I were to replace with smaller lug nuts, the studs would still stick out. I'm not about to buy new wheels and I'm definitely not about to pull all 4 wheels off again to try and replace all the studs and lugs. You obviously had alloy wheels, have you personally tried replacing these plastic wheel covers? What I'm saying is, there is no way I'm spending $50 each for new or used wheel covers and the ones I've found used for less money, look terrible. The solution, which im not happy about and is why I posted here, is A) over pay for a cheap piece of plastic B) Buy new wheels or C) continue to drive around with my bare steel wheels.

My hope was that someone could say "Here's a link to what I found."

~2005 Saturn Relay-2 142k~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pillar2004's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pillar2004 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pillar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I never suggested replacing the rims at all. What you brought up in your original post was that you didn't realize the wheel covers were incorrect. Does this imply the steel rims and wheels are not original stock equipment and perhaps replaced for larger and/or wider tires, making it difficult for the dealer to cover and ultimately you late in finding this out?

Some dealers are unscrupulous and may be without principle; the infamous Toyota runaway incident (occurring in California) a few years ago that was initially blamed on the electronic drive by wire throttle system was never found to be at fault. It was determined the dealer threw in carpets that were not factory authorized. This allowed the carpet to bunch up and caused the accelerator pedal to stick, killing the panicked driver and his family in a high speed crash. Toyota settled as the parent company since the dealership sold the Toyota but closed door settlements never reveal whatever repercussions occurred between Toyota and the dealership responsible for the errant floor covers.

Repainting the steel rims another color like silver can dress up the appearance of bare wheels. There are always alternatives to consider. That was my reason for sharing my personal experience with old alloy rims and the questions I had to deal with them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote