SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 10:14 AM   #1
QC_Nate
QC_Nate is on a distinguished road

Default saturn wants me to return my car, please help

Hello all,

I would like to anounce that I am a proud owner of a silver QC.

I need your help.

I bought a new QC on Friday, I decided to upgrade to one with a sunroof on Monday. I went in to exchance it and the sold me one with 17" crome wheels and the sunroof (fully loaded) for $3000 more.

The next morning they called me telling me they made a mistake and want the wheels back, They cost an additional $2,200 by them selfs.

What should I do?? They sold me on the car because of the wheels. The managers and the salepeople were all aware that the wheels were on the car before we took delivery. I assumed they were included.

What legal recorse do I have? I dont want to cheat anyone, but thats why I bought the car (the wheels).

What shoud I do???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QC_Nate's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QC_Nate reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2003, 10:41 AM   #2
sc288203
sc288203 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1994 SC2

It sounds like Saturn is at fault. The way I see it, you just spent an addition $3,000 at their dealership. If they want to get picky, tell them they can have the damn car back and you will go somewhere else.

Check the laws for Illinois, because some states require a "cooling off" period - about a week after you buy the car that you can decide to return it if you choose to do so. Other states don't give consumers that choice - once you sign the contract, the car is yours.

If they keep harassing you, find one of those lawyers that offer free consultations and see what your legal rights are.

Step
'98 Saturn SC2

Perverted-Justice.com - Keeping Kids Safe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc288203's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc288203 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 11:25 AM   #3
Laurence
Laurence is on a distinguished road

If this was a mistake made by the Saturn dealer (which it appears to be) then tough luck on them. I'd keep the car and take the matter to Customer Service at Saturn to see if they can resolve the matter. It's certainly not your fault as one would naturally assume that everything was included on the car you bought and contracted for. The dealer made a mistake and didn't realize this until you had signed the contract and taken delivery of the car so in my opinion they have to live with it.

Laurence

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Laurence's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Laurence reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

I hate to say this. But the old "bait and switch" seems to have failed at the switch portion of the game. I think that Saturn should to say "oops, we goofed that one, And have a nice day." I believe that they still will. So how many people, including me, have had small pricey acessories added at the signing. Like floor mats, and etc? They are professionals. They are well paid not to goof like that.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 11:43 AM   #5
03VUEAWDVTI
Advanced Member
03VUEAWDVTI is on a distinguished road

You have a signed contract in your hand stating the sale of the car with the features on it at the time of sale. It is a legal binding document, and they must abide by it. I would certainly inform them of this and let them know that you would be willing to make it a court matter if they wish to pursue the matter further. (If you want the car that bad).

I can gurantee you that they would be shoving the contract down your throat if the situation was reversed.

They screwed up, they get to eat the mistake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 03VUEAWDVTI's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 03VUEAWDVTI reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 11:53 AM   #6
MydnightMyst
Advanced Member
MydnightMyst is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

While I agree that they are indeed at fault for this mix-up, you will have to handle things diplomatically. Especially if they have the only Saturn Retailer within a driving distance you are willing to make. Why? Even though they have to fix things, they can be picky and they can find other ways to mess with you during service. Warranty issues, well, could be a nightmare. Yes, technically, they have to fix any warranty related thing, but they certainly could make it a bad experience for you.
Go to them in another car. Ask to see the head guy and sit down and talk. Bring a friend if it makes you more comfortable (also a witness). Bring your contract and try to hash things out before you decide to threaten legal action. Don't say anything about lawyers. Just tell them you both signed the contract for THAT car with THOSE wheels. You paid extra for THAT car with THOSE wheels. It's a binding contract. Above all, be civil and be nice. This will be the dealer that will be servicing your car in the future, unless there is another retailer.
Anyway, if they feel that they won't budge, ask what compromise could you make. Most importantly, ask them why those wheels appear to me more important than your satisfaction and legal, binding, contract. If you can't work things out, and you've tried everything you can, bid them good day and inform them that your lawyer will be the next person they talk to.
That may change the tune, but ultimately, I would be very aware of that retailer whenever or if ever you bring the QC to be serviced.
Most importantly, get wheel locks...

~Christena J. Snowden~
1996 Saturn SL2 drag car
1996 Saturn SL2 street car
1997 Saturn SC2, 2003 OLOA class winner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MydnightMyst's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MydnightMyst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 11:57 AM   #7
QC_Nate
QC_Nate is on a distinguished road

Just a few more things to add.

There is another saturn dealer only 10 mins away for service.

can they do something to cancell the financing? Its only been one day. What if the cancell it, or do something that will stop the process?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QC_Nate's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QC_Nate reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:15 PM   #8
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

If they pulled stuff like that they could get in real big trouble.

Document everything. Don't act fast and don't fold under pressure. You are in control as long as you have the car and that dealer may have to eat the loss.

You paid $3K more. The sunroof is $800 I believe. I don't know what else was different, but it was the dealer's responsibility to charge the right amount.

Best of luck and don't let them guilt or pressure you. This is business and at this point in time you are still holding all the cards.

Either keep the car as it is or negotiate lifetime service, warranties, and other stuff in writing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:18 PM   #9
DualCamCoupe
Advanced Member
DualCamCoupe is on a distinguished road

What Saturn delaership is it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DualCamCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DualCamCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:41 PM   #10
leonards
leonards is on a distinguished road

negotiate with the dealer. It is not your fault. I assume that the chrome wheels ARE mentioned in the contract along with the other extras, aren't they? Also, if you're going to the dealer, go with another car and bring them a COPY of the contract, not the original as they may not return it to you. If all is mentioned in the contract, it is binding. If the situation was reversed, what do you think would happen? ... EXACTLY!! Be diplomatic as they might be the ones servicing your car. Let us know...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leonards's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leonards reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:45 PM   #11
GreyDuck
Advanced Member
GreyDuck is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

if its Saturn Of Sam Swope, I can see how they would do that. But they will just have to "bite the bullet".

Brian
2001 Ford Focus ZTS
1992 Saturn SL2
Go UofL Cardinals!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreyDuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreyDuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:49 PM   #12
leonards
leonards is on a distinguished road

negotiate with the dealer. It is not your fault. I assume that the chrome wheels ARE mentioned in the contract along with the other extras, aren't they? Also, if you're going to the dealer, go with another car and bring them a COPY of the contract, not the original as they may not return it to you. If all is mentioned in the contract, it is binding. If the situation was reversed, what do you think would happen? ... EXACTLY!! Be diplomatic as they might be the ones servicing your car. Let us know...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leonards's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leonards reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:58 PM   #13
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

That is the cost of doing business. They sold it to you that way and it is yours. Swope has a lot more money than you do, enjoy the rims and the QC.

Swope in Wooeyville is a great dealership, I'm sure that they recognize that they screwed up and are out the wheels.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 02:02 PM   #14
BruceOz
BruceOz is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1997 SL2
Idea Re: saturn wants me to return my car, please help

Quote:
Originally posted by QC_Nate

The next morning they called me telling me they made a mistake and want the wheels back, They cost an additional $2,200 by them selfs.
You are aware that $2200 equates to $400 for EACH wheel and $150 for EACH tire!!!! Now that is in addition to the wheels and tires you exchanged, so to put it mildly......someone is NUTS!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BruceOz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BruceOz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 02:23 PM   #15
Lurker1999
Lurker1999 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

Remember to document everything. As others have said leave the car in your garage and take something else to the dealership. Full names of everyone you speak to and bring only copies of paperwork leaving the originals at home. You have the upper hand. You have the car. You have a signed contract. They let you drive off the lot. Do not let them intimidate you into making any statements. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING without taking it home to review. I wouldn't mention lawyers. You are under no obligation to explain anything to them. Make THEM explain in excruciating detail why a binding legal contract should now be disregarded.

All this sounds paranoid but it really is the best way to do business. Trust but verify.

93 SC2a 69k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lurker1999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lurker1999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 02:58 PM   #16
SilverNickelQC
Advanced Member
SilverNickelQC is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Keep that car if you have a contract they maybe trying to scam you especially if you already paid for them not saying that a Saturn Dealer is like that but i have heard stories and been through something of the sort but i gave the car up and i regret that i did but cest la vie still ended up w/ exactly what i wanted

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverNickelQC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverNickelQC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 03:48 PM   #17
XtremeGrandAm
Master Member
XtremeGrandAm is on a distinguished road

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else. You bought the car legally and you had nothing to do with putting the rims on there. They were at fault and legally they cant make you return your car because they made a mistake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XtremeGrandAm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XtremeGrandAm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 04:05 PM   #18
Arnel
Arnel is on a distinguished road

Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Home of the World Champion Steelers & Penguins!

2001 SC2

They f'ed up. Their loss. As long as all of your paperwork reflects the additional equipment (wheels, sunroof), then you don't have to return the wheels. They made a clerical error and are hoping that you will fold.

Since you have signed all of the paperwork, it would be illegal for them to fudge the numbers to the financing bank and try to screw you. Can you say Securities and Exchange Commission?

Just go over all of the paperwork that you got with your car. If there is a Transfer of Power of Attorney form that you signed, then they may be able to screw with you. Otherwise, someone screwed up on the math and it is the retailer's loss.

Either way, let the situation cool down a little. They will be hot and bothered for the next 10 days because the most precious time of the month for car salesman is the last 10 days. Half of their cars are sold in the last 10 days. Wait until June to act upon anything. That'll make them sweat and allow you to make sure all of your "t's" are crossed and "i's" are dotted.

Good luck & may the force be with you....

93m SL1 "SLone" 145,000 mi. - RIP 10/08
94m SL2 "Ringo" 209,425 - ret. 7/31/07, RIP 10/08
01m SC2 "Lello" 129,000
07a GL VUE "Orbit" 48,900 - RIP 6/19/10
10a Ford Escape Hybrid - 8600 mi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Arnel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Arnel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 08:24 PM   #19
y2chuck
Advanced Member
y2chuck is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Re: saturn wants me to return my car, please help

Quote:
Originally posted by BruceOz
You are aware that $2200 equates to $400 for EACH wheel and $150 for EACH tire!!!! Now that is in addition to the wheels and tires you exchanged, so to put it mildly......someone is NUTS!!
I agree. Something just ain't right. Did they say why they want the wheels back? You bought and paid for them, albeit you paid way too much, but you did pay for them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to y2chuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help y2chuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2003, 11:02 PM   #20
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

Any aftermarket modifications made to the car should have included a buyers' order (aka window sticker). It should have been included in your paperwork.

Like BruceOz said, that is a LOT of money for wheels. If you consider it further, for $5200 more than your initial cost, you could buy a supercharger.
Wei

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread