SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
BroSaturnDay
BroSaturnDay is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn SL2 Beginner Mods

Hello, I have a 95 Saturn SL2 that I'd like to slowly build up and make pretty damn quick. As of right now the engine is stock, the only thing I have is a cold air intake and OBX headers. The car is pretty quick stock but I want it to be relatively fast. I have beaten some civics and other little four cylinder cars but I want to know how to make my car faster. I need something for better reaction time. Also I'm a poor teenager so a big turbo is kinda out of the question as of right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BroSaturnDay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BroSaturnDay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BroSaturnDay is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
pechsk8
pechsk8 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Default Re: Saturn SL2 Beginner Mods

Making a saturn go fast isnt your cheapest option but If you're on a budget head up to the junkyard. You can find a turbo, intercooler/piping, etc. If you don't want to turbo you can cat delete and get some bigger exhaust piping. But anything to gain some real HP is gonna cost $$. For better reaction time you can do the geo storm throttle body swap. Make sure you get the dohc geo storm gsi one though. The bigger tb should give you better throttle response.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pechsk8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pechsk8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pechsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
blanksaturn
blanksaturn is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2001 SL2

Dont waste your money on ignition upgrades, the stock saturn ignition system is very robust at the power levels the engine produces as an N/A

if you have a 3" cold air intake and header with 2" or better piping, then your on the right track and that is the cheapest power you can get from these cars...anything more is going to start costing money and the bill racks up quick when you start tearing the engine down for rebuilds

speed costs money, if you have a low income then just enter the forum and start absorbing the threads, there is a wealth of knowledge and without money and knowledge you will get no results. Search Deebs Rebuild and you will find a cost effective means of making more power, not big power...

lastly, unless your absolutely in love with this car, and have really deep pockets, dont expect to get much out of it, its an economy car.

if your racing, please be responsible and keep it on the track...you may just save yours or someone elses life. fast and the furious is a movie, and real people do die in street races...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blanksaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blanksaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blanksaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #4
Speedshow
Speedshow is on a distinguished road

sucks I read this late I would of donated my mandrel bent exhaust when i donated my car....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Speedshow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Speedshow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Speedshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Even if you get a junkyard turbo, you'll probably have to rebuild it ($75+), you'll need a custom fabricated exhaust manifold, and you'll need some form of aftermarket fuel control. I'm in the middle of doing all this myself. It's not cheap or easy.

One easy way to gain acceleration is to reduce weight. Got roadside assistance or AAA? Ditch the spare tire. Stuff like that. AAA isn't really expensive either.

2014 Cannondale 27spd 29": 30 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally" 5spd : 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve" 5spd : 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
madeinUSA
madeinUSA is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1998 SW2

Cheap mods:
Single Cam Crank Pulley swap (it is not a balancer)....lighter than stock which equals engine revs quicker and easier....or OBX aluminum pulley for $59 which is much lighter than stock DOHC (15 grams compared to 54).

Clean that throttle body and also the intake behind the throttle body. Carbon build-up is an air blocker and these engines need air with the rich factory tune.

New copper plugs and good wires...no need to mod without the engine running as good as possible.

Also if you cannot find a bigger bore throttle body or the Geo Storm GSI unit then at least smooth out the big lip on the edge for smoother flow.

Your vehicle may have the "saw blade" wheels as they came on the 95 SL2, but if not then they are much lighter than other factory Saturn wheels.

Driver mod. Learn how to shift quick and as close to rev limiter as you can.

Information is knowledge...so start reading and then trying things. I always go to the drag strip and see what difference my changes made...not so much in the e.t. but the trap speed which is a better indicator of the power the changes made (increases or decreases).

'92 SL2 / '91 SC / '06 Cobalt SS (supercharged!)....Proud American driving American made!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madeinUSA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madeinUSA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madeinUSA is offline   Reply With Quote