SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
i5spiders
i5spiders is on a distinguished road

Default 2006 vue keeps dying

2006 Saturn Vue 4cyl keeps dying and takes over an hour of being off before it will start again. We just replaced the starter and have no money left for expensive diagnostic tests. When it does start, the power drops significantly but stays on if it's had a long enough rest. It's also extremely hot here now, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to i5spiders's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help i5spiders reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
i5spiders is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2006 vue keeps dying

THe battery is how old and is it charged? Hot where? How many miles were last driven without stopping the engine?

Total miles? Transmission?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
i5spiders

The battery is less than a year old and we had it tested as we thought the battery was the problem. The testers said it was good. The total miles on the car are around 124,000. Not due for another oil change for another 1,000 miles. We had only driven 5 miles when the car first messed up and we thought it was the battery. It simply wouldn't start or even turn over, even with a jump start. They checked the battery, said it was fine. That's when we replaced the starter and now it'll start but won't drive for more than a few miles and needs over an hour of cooldown before it will stay on. Basically, the engine turns over but then the power dies and the engine turns back off. Hot wise, I meant in california it's hitting 100 degrees for the first time and I thought now the solenoid was overheating or something.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help i5spiders reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by i5spiders View Post
We had only driven 5 miles when the car first messed up and we thought it was the battery........... I thought now the solenoid was overheating or something.
FIve miles after buying it? How many miles have you driven it since purchase? What trans?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #5
i5spiders

No, we bought the car a few years ago at 67,000 miles. It's an automatic trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
jrw1621
jrw1621 will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 2.2L

In this picture shown, the black part is the ignition coil. The silver part is the Ignition Control Module (ICM)
Old cars had spark plug wires and a distributor. Our cars (and most newer cars) do not have plug wires; rather, Ignition coil. Instead of distributor; ICM.

I suspect the ICM. These can be gotten at auto parts stores for $60.
Personally, I spent $24 at a Pull-it-yourself junkyard for both the black and silver, combined when my 2.2L was running rough and down on power.

I wrote more on the topic in this thread:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200473
I that thread, the gentlemans car would not start.
In my issue, the car would run but rough and weak,
In your issue, the car will not stay running but I think all are versions of "bad" Ignition and this is the module controlling that.

Last edited by jrw1621; 05-18-2014 at 07:16 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jrw1621's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jrw1621 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jrw1621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
i5spiders

Thank you. I will check it out and let you know if that turns out to be the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
i5spiders

Looks like it might've been the icm. When we went to change the starter originally, the battery was disconnected for so long that it went back to factory settings and that messed up the timing. So we tried to correct it and we also cleaned every valve we could find, including the Throttle Body, and after a bunch of crap flew out the exhaust, it seemed to be running fine. We're going to test run it for a few days, but if it starts stalling again, I'll be back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2014, 12:03 AM   #9
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Looks like it might've been the icm. When we went to change the starter originally, the battery was disconnected for so long that it went back to factory settings and that messed up the timing. So we tried to correct it and we also cleaned every valve we could find, including the Throttle Body, and after a bunch of crap flew out the exhaust, it seemed to be running fine. We're going to test run it for a few days, but if it starts stalling again, I'll be back.
Don't forget to re-learn the idle.
The the key on, leave for a minute but don't start the car, turn it off. Start the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #10
jrw1621
jrw1621 will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Looks like it might've been the icm.
Did you actually put in a different icm?

Quote:
When we went to change the starter originally, the battery was disconnected for so long that it went back to factory settings and that messed up the timing.
I am confused by what you have written here.
Your issue was that the car would not continue running. The starter only functions to start the car. The starter has no function in keeping the car running so I am unclear why the starter was suspected.
I also do not think that having a battery disconnected will cause any changes to timing? I am confused by this statement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jrw1621's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jrw1621 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jrw1621 is offline   Reply With Quote