SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
Ribbey
Ribbey is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
Question 08 Outlook: Stalled while Driving

Background Info:
About 6 weeks ago, my wife was driving our family to the store when our 2008 Outlook stalled as she was driving down the road. When I asked for details, all she could tell me was that it shut off (luckily, she was able to get to the side of the road without causing an accident). After a few minutes, she tried to start it and it fired right up as if nothing was wrong, so she drove it straight back to our house. When I got home from work I started it up and noticed the check engine light was on and I drove it around the neighborhood and everything seemed fine. The check engine light wasn't on the next morning when I went to work and I have been driving it since then and have not noticed anything that would make me think it would happen again.

Then, this past week, it finally happened to me. Now that I have some details and can explain exactly what happened, and I'm hoping someone can help.

Problem Details:
My son and I leave a store. The Outlook has been parked for 45 minutes. Gas tank is half full and the gas cap is on tight. My key ring consists of 4 keys and 2 key fobs. The outside temp is mid 60's, no rain. I start it up, drive 100 yards and go through a drive-thru window of a restaurant, where I idle for approximately 5 minutes. I get about 200 yards down the road when it stalled. We were on a small side road and my speed was about 15 mph. I wasn't giving it any gas at the time it stalled because we were approaching an intersection and I was just coasting toward my stop. As I tried to get into the right hand turn lane, I noticed I did not have power steering. The Outlook stalled and I didn't even realize it. We still had full power - I don't even recall hearing the radio skip. It seems as though it just shut off the engine, but the power supply to everything wasn't interrupted. I tried to start it right back up, but it would not do anything. Then starter wasn't even trying. The display was telling me STARTING DISABLED, SERVICE THROTTLE. I pushed the Outlook a few feet to make sure anyone behind me could get by. I waited about 1 minute and it started right up. As I drove it down the road, everything again seemed fine. After about 2 miles, it happened again. Moments before, I was stopped at a red light. It was while I was accelerating that it happened. I had reached approximately 35 mph, and was approaching a slight curve in the road. I let off the throttle and a few seconds later, as I started to turn, I noticed again that I did not have power steering. I was able to safely get the Outlook into a parking lot using the momentum I had, but barely stopped before hitting a car because the power brakes go out when the power steering goes out. The same message was displayed. This time, I tried starting it at different time intervals to see if I could figure anything out. I tried right away, then waited 15 sec and tried, then 30 sec and tried, then 45, then 1 minute, then 1 min 30 sec, then 2 minutes. After that, I waited about 3 minutes and it started right up again. No problems for one week now.

If you are still reading, Thank you. My intent was not to type a novel, but to provide all the details I had and to try to relay the experience as it happened to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ribbey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ribbey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 08 Outlook: Stalled while Driving

Some more info would help with an overall history of your Outlook. Total mileage, maintenance done, parts replaced? When a random engine die off occurs for no rhyme or reason, a general diagnosis would be needed for fuel/pressure and spark. In addition, power (battery, battery cables and their connections) should be considered too. There is a service bulletin describing possible corrosion/fretting issues with electrical connections but it doesn't specify which connectors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
PsykicDzstr
PsykicDzstr is on a distinguished road

I didn't have this issue w/my 2008 Outlook, but the same thing happened w/my work van, which is GM. I would be driving along, when the van lost power and would not let me accelerate. The dash read; Power reduced. Service Throttle. This happened for a few weeks, until finally It stalled on an icy hill causing me to slide down the hill backwards. The dash read; Starting Disabled. Service Throttle. I was told the computer had to be reprogrammed. The vehicle needs to be taken to the Dealer, because this is a dangerous issue. Lucky for me, nobody was behind me except a ditch at the bottom. I hope this helped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PsykicDzstr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PsykicDzstr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PsykicDzstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
diesel327
diesel327 is on a distinguished road

Why cant I find a button on here to create a new forum/thread? I have a question of the headlight wire colors.
Need to tap into power and want to use my headlights wire. Any help on posting a new question would be much appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to diesel327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help diesel327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
diesel327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
Ribbey
Ribbey is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Fryer: My Outlook had 103K on it. As for service, the only large service item performed was a couple years ago when it had a transmission problem that was serviced under the powertrain warranty. I've had a couple things fixed on the inside of the vehicle, and they may have removed the dash to fix them. The front blower motor quit working and the drain channels that allow water to drain, if it gets in around the sunroof, were clogged or kinked. I don't know if the inside items are relevant, but if they did pull the dash for either, maybe the problem arose from disconnecting & reconnecting something. Thanks for helping.

PsykicDzstr: Thanks for responding. It sounds like, unfortunately, you experienced the same thing. I looked everywhere trying to find some information regarding this, but had not found anything to help or anyone that had it happen to them. I was hoping I could avoid taking it in to an authorized dealer to be serviced & just fix it myself, but i think I had better schedule an appointment. Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ribbey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ribbey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ribbey is offline   Reply With Quote