SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
chadly
chadly is on a distinguished road

Wrench Wire Color help please

HI
I'm trying to finish my VTI to manual Getrag swap. My final problem lies in the fact that the salvage yard I bought my engine harness from snipped off some of the plugs. A couple I transferred from other harness and I had to buy a couple new. The one I'm having trouble with is the VSS. I've looked at my different schematic, read lots of things to no avail. When I connect my purple with white stripe and black with white stripe the speedo works but bounces way to high at times, also i hooked up back up lights to a pink and a green, they seem to work fine. I also have an extra pink that is switched hot. Not sure what to think but it is an 2003 vue and the sensors are both 2 prong two wire but i believe the trans was for an ION, so has ION sensors, not sure if they are the same.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chadly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chadly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chadly is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Wire Color help please

You will need a transmission and output speed sensor from a Vue. The Ion counterparts appear to be different.

The speed sensor looks different which means the reluctor wheel in the transmission is also probably different. This would explain why your speedo is jumping around. The computer is not able to correctly interpret the signals it is receiving from the speed sensor.

The other differences between the Vue & Ion manual transmissions is that 5th gear and final drive gear ratios in the Vue are lower (numerically higher) than those of the Ion to overcome the additional weight and aerodynamic drag of the Vue. Furthermore, the cruise control may not work in the Vue with the Ion transmission because the RPM vs MPH/speed that the computer sees will be different than what it is expecting to see.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 05-12-2014 at 11:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
chadly

Thx
looks like the ION sensor is way longer, not sure if it will fit, When it has no VSS it runs fine then inconsistently the speedo will start working and the engine cooling fan will run, probably from the wheel sensors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chadly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadly View Post
Thx
looks like the ION sensor is way longer, not sure if it will fit, When it has no VSS it runs fine then inconsistently the speedo will start working and the engine cooling fan will run, probably from the wheel sensors.
Again, you can't just replace the sensor because it probably won't fit, and even if it did the reluctor wheel inside the transmission will cause the sensor to send the computer the same incorrect signals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
chadly

hey
do you know how to get the cooling fan to turn on and off correctly with out the speed sensor? I'm thinking of disconnecting it or a manual switch. Also I've got the correct sensor coming and maybe going to shim it up to fit, don't no really what else to do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

The fan should operate just fine without the speed sensor. The only difference is that it won't shut off like it normally would at highway speeds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!