SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
94streetracer
94streetracer is on a distinguished road

Default 350 WHP SL1 Build

Okay call me crazy, stupid whatever you like. However I want to build my 1994 saturn sl1 into a 350+ WHP, murdered out, beast on the street. I know it's a lot of work and probably not worth it but I intend to do it anyway. So without further ado (input please!!!)

T3/T4 turbo
2.5 " Stainless exhaust
Newer DOHC 1.9 with older valves (?) (need to lower compression)
Standard trans
(The two above scream donor car so... car seaching time!)
New computer (for motor and trans combo)
injectors and injector control
fuel pump
rigged e brake for rear tires only (it doesn't work now so I dont really know how this will work out...)

Is there anything that I should really look into other than these? I know that the motor will be gone thru and new seal kits and replace anything that's worn out but anything else I should worry about?

Junkyard will be my best friend for some of this but please any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Doug

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94streetracer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94streetracer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
94streetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
1fatskizz
1fatskizz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 350 WHP SL1 Build

Are you serious?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1fatskizz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1fatskizz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1fatskizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
brian74
brian74 is a jewel in the roughbrian74 is a jewel in the roughbrian74 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
2002 SC2

This thread probably belongs in the S-Series Fantasy section, Not the S-Series Tech section.

2001 SL1 205k miles; daily driver
2002 SC2 166k (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brian74's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brian74 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brian74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Depending on what specific years you're thinking, old valves & new pistons increase compression not decrease it.
The Swap Guide is a good place to start, though it doesn't have much of anything on turbocharging. Sixthsphere.com has tons of info buried in the most random places (some is in a logical place).

Rigged ebrake for rear tires only? lmao
Fix what's on there stock & you'll be fine. It locked up 205/45R17's just fine for me.

Stock style pistons won't hold up to much boost, nor will the stock rods. Not sure where the limit consensus is but I'd guess 7-10psi.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

WHere are you going to source a LT1 350 or fresh LS1?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
38TransAM
38TransAM has a spectacular aura about38TransAM has a spectacular aura about38TransAM has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2
1999 SL2

Easiest way?

Cut it up and make it rear wheel drive and drop in a 5.3/5.7 LS motor and problem solved....

One day I will do this.

Your way?

It can be done, but no one in this community wants to share info, so its more or less a band aid pasted over waste of time or your going to aftermarket controllers and living with a manual trans.

Saturn OEM GM reman. engine NO LONGER AVAILABLE (SOLD OUT)
96 SL2 still kicking at 182k (now with updated mileage)
99 HCE 63k Now at 97k and new GM Reman engine due to road debris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 38TransAM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 38TransAM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
38TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38TransAM View Post
Easiest way?

It can be done, but no one in this community wants to share info,
Bah, plenty of info given on this board. Just because we don't see his pipedream and won't blow sunshine up his rear doesn't mean no one cares.

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
94streetracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fatskizz View Post
Are you serious?
Yes I'm serious - I hate ricers and I want to see a sleeper saturn burn these guys off the road

fetchitfido - I have referenced this article by the way and have found it very useful. I don't know what motor/trans year I will be using yet so I haven't worked out those details yet.

If anyone knows of a wrecked or otherwise shot saturn in my area that can be bought/picked clean let me know and I'll make an effort to get some parts bought off of it.

By the way... to the "haters" (and I AM BEING SERIOUS here) I appreciate your input as well on here. You honestly drive me to start and finish this project and it will probably serve me better to hear you guys discredit my "pipedream" than any other advice I could get here. Thank you,

Doug

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 94streetracer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
1fatskizz
1fatskizz is on a distinguished road

I also have an Ion Redline w/stage 2, I bought it new and there weren't many "ricers" that stood a chance. Now with that said, that was back in 2006 and I don't drive like that anymore. I can understand why you want to do this, but I can't support street racing in any way, I've learned from other people's mistakes and you'd be smart to do the same. If you want a fast Saturn build a drag car and stick to the race track.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1fatskizz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1fatskizz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1fatskizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
94streetracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fatskizz View Post
I also have an Ion Redline w/stage 2, I bought it new and there weren't many "ricers" that stood a chance. Now with that said, that was back in 2006 and I don't drive like that anymore. I can understand why you want to do this, but I can't support street racing in any way, I've learned from other people's mistakes and you'd be smart to do the same. If you want a fast Saturn build a drag car and stick to the race track.
I agree The point of the build is to be able to drive it on the road (seats, stereo, lights, etc) but take it to the strip and blow away anything that even resembles a foreign car. I have learned as well. I have had three kids at my highschool that were in a terrible accident that (I'm sorry but it was) was their fault. Another, whom I was decently close to, died recently in a high speed accident that was again his fault. Both were three digit numbers and both were 100% preventable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

If you think you're going to go to the track and blow away anything that resembles a foreign car, you're going to need a lot more than 350 horsepower. And if you think you're going to keep it a daily driver and do it... well good luck with that.

http://www.differentracing.com/ That was the car from a member here. There is another site Sixthsphere where more people are into big power grenades and dyno queens, but you still don't find many big power drivers... unless they belong to mechanics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:29 PM   #12
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
If you think you're going to go to the track and blow away anything that resembles a foreign car, you're going to need a lot more than 350 horsepower. And if you think you're going to keep it a daily driver and do it... well good luck with that.

http://www.differentracing.com/ That was the car from a member here. There is another site Sixthsphere where more people are into big power grenades and dyno queens, but you still don't find many big power drivers... unless they belong to mechanics.
He needs to come to my track. There is a Honda there that I want to meet. He has won a lot of trophies in the IDRC. It is about 350HP with turbo and no bottle. He also is ONE of the best on the line with quite a few .000 lights. He needs to be real about how much money he is going to blow up trying this. I was pushing 450 with my Camaro and still couldn't keep up with him. 3200lb Camaro vs a 1500 lb Honda.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:25 PM   #13
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Well, if I was determined to pack >350hp into an S-series body, I would probably start with an engine swap.

If the theme is anti-rice, how about an LS3 ? Its a V8 in a transverse orientation. Adapting a manual tranny is challenging, but can be done. Automatic tranny is much easier.

These have been stuffed into Fieros, so maybe it would 'fit' into a saturn. In the end, I doubt it would cost much more than boosting that 1.9 SOHC. And there is MUCH more potential starting out with an LS3.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:39 AM   #14
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

Low Saturn had his built engine and all the hardware/electronics for an install into any Saturn under a shelf in his garage when I bought an engine from him a couple years back. Just make him an offer he can't refuse and you'd be way closer to your goal.

Mechanical Engineer - I make parts, like blend door actuator gears.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD - 62k
1998 SL2 - 240k
1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 134k
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 106k
1987 Mercedes 300D - 154k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #15
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

^^^ Speaking of Low Saturn, what was one of his primary admonitions (based on direct experience) wrt. building a turbo Saturn? One of the "spare parts" you'll need is a spare car, one to daily drive while your project car is on blocks, which is where it will spend the majority of its time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #16
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

What Saturn transmission will live with the punnishment? And for how many hours (or minutes) will it last

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #17
cleverbot
cleverbot is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
1998 SL2

The major issue I have with this thread is that you are going to take an sl1 and put a DOHC into it. Why not just find a nice SL2 or SC2 and use that. If I was you. I would focus on getting the Sl1 to get the best gas mileage it can get then you can focus on building your dream car on the SL2 or SC2. You will also save money in gas running back and forth to local auto stores getting parts for your build. Win win situation? I think so!!!

1994 Saturn SC2 (5-speed) with 240k. (RIP Junked 11/16/12)
1993 Toyota Tercel STD (4-speed) (sold)
1998 Saturn SL2 125,000 miles (RUNNING FANTASTIC!!!)
2012 Chevy Sonic 26,000 miles (5-speed)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cleverbot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cleverbot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cleverbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #18
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1

The trans will hold up, but you'll be buying an LSD for it. The block will need to be sleeved. Annnnnnnd your wallet will need to shed about 5 to 10 thousand dollars to make this work reliably.

For the record, there have been more than a few DD turbo turds. If one knows what theyre doing, its no different than driving a regular car. Except for the fact that you will be replacing tires and fuel more regularly.

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #19
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverbot View Post
Why not just find a nice SL2 or SC2 or SW2 and use that.
Fixed...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #20
cleverbot
cleverbot is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Fixed...
Nothing against the wagons but aren't they a bit heavier then the SL2 and SC2? This is the only reason I didn't mention them since he is wanted to get "350 WHP ". Though it would be awesome to see the looks on peoples faces when they see this Saturn Wagon fly by them.

1994 Saturn SC2 (5-speed) with 240k. (RIP Junked 11/16/12)
1993 Toyota Tercel STD (4-speed) (sold)
1998 Saturn SL2 125,000 miles (RUNNING FANTASTIC!!!)
2012 Chevy Sonic 26,000 miles (5-speed)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cleverbot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cleverbot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cleverbot is offline   Reply With Quote