SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #21
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Motor mount changed, still vibrates hard.

I don't know if richpin talks about the torque in his video as I have not watched in a while, but the studs only go in the cover at 89 INCH-lbs

Mount to front cover nuts are 37 ft/lbs and should be torqued evenly in stages. The nuts should never drive the studs

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #22
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I don't know if richpin talks about the torque in his video as I have not watched in a while, but the studs only go in the cover at 89 INCH-lbs

Mount to front cover nuts are 37 ft/lbs and should be torqued evenly in stages. The nuts should never drive the studs
Great info to have...I will be using it soon.

So at this point I have the helicoil kit that I mentioned in an earlier post and the longer studs as well. My plan is to practice using this kit a few times before attempting it on my timing cover. I think I have all the info I need so I will post back after the results.

BTW -- I'm glad I bought this kit with the longer (15mm & 20mm) inserts per OldNuc's suggestion. The standard 10mm long ones do not have a lot of thread to work with and I wouldn't want to use them in my timing cover to support the engine....I will be using the 20mm insert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:14 PM   #23
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

Success! The threads are now repaired with the 20mm helicoil insert...job was quite simple and straight-forward. Thanks to everyone for the info. To anyone else doing this job, I highly recommend the helicoil kit I mentioned from an earlier post. It made this job a breeze.

On a negative note, the vibration is still there...and it's horrible. I'm pretty sure the top mount is to blame for this since sitting in the pass. seat makes the vibrations feel even worse. It's possible the dogbone is bad also so I will have to check that one soon. When I get some extra cash I will be changing the top one with an OEM mount.

At the very least, I have peace of mind knowing my engine is securely supported.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2014, 06:41 PM   #24
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachands View Post
On a negative note, the vibration is still there...and it's horrible. I'm pretty sure the top mount is to blame for this since sitting in the pass. seat makes the vibrations feel even worse. It's possible the dogbone is bad also so I will have to check that one soon. When I get some extra cash I will be changing the top one with an OEM mount.
Get the OEM top engine mount and install it, After the install loosen and re-tighten the lower dogbone mount bracket to remove the pre-load and align everything, The vibration should be alot more bearable.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #25
bachands
Advanced Member

2002 SL2

In an attempt to explain my vibration problem better, I have looked at ALL my mounts. I actually removed the pass. side dogbone to inspect it, and I visually looked at the ones on the trans side.

The pass. side dogbone looks just fine. It appears to have solid rubber inserts (original OEM dogbone maybe) and everything is in tact....no problems there.

On the trans side, the trans mount looks compressed due to age, but it has plenty of rubber support. The dogbone also looks to be in good shape as well without any deteriorating rubber.

Upon re-installation of the top mount again (since I removed the dogbone on that side), I followed the same procedure as Richpin. That includes loosening the dogbone bracket nuts and re-tightening to remove any preload. I also torqued all the top nuts to spec.

The vibration persists....very badly.

The purpose of all this was to attempt to isolate the problem. Since the Westar EM-2829 solid-type mount I purchased (looks identical to the DEA solid mount) appeared to be a decent quality mount, I wanted to avoid thinking that this was the cause of my vibrations. But now it seems to be the only good explanation I can come up with.

So at this point, I'm not looking for anymore explanations or advice....I have all that I need. I always like to read about what people's RESULTS were, not just what they bought or what they fixed. So I'm giving interested parties my RESULTS.

That RESULT is simple....my Westar solid-type mount did not cure my vibration problem. In fact, it actually made it worse.

So now I'm going to wait until I have the $$ to buy the OEM mount. In fact, I'll probably buy both the OEM top and trans mounts. When I get to that point, I'll probably revive this thread to record my results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #26
bachands
Advanced Member

2002 SL2
Happy Re: Motor mount changed, still vibrates hard.

I finally got the extra money to buy the OEM mounts....cost me $120 total from www.gmpartsnow.com including shipping for both the trans and top motor mounts.

Upon arrival, I inspected both mounts. Right away I noticed a difference in the rubber material (compared to the Westar I already had). Although the design looks identical, the rubber material on the OEM mounts has some "give" to it whereas the Westar material feels hard like a rock.

Since I have an auto trans, I elected to remove my battery and battery tray as well as lower the subframe by loosening the two driver's side bolts. Let me say, for an auto trans, lowering the subframe seems absolutely necessary. The endcover of the trans ends up hitting the frame on the way up....once there, there is not enough room to remove the mount unless the subframe is lowered.

When I got the old mount out, I almost laughed. I've seen pictures of very "depressed" old mounts but mine literally had lost the majority of its rubber and it was in two pieces. I could grab the bottom and shake it to get the top part of it to rattle around. I have no doubt it was the original...good thing I bought a new one.

With the subframe lowered, installation of the new one was fairly easy...only a little persuasion necessary. I tightened the subrame back up (had a bit of trouble with the rear nut/retainer but was able to put it back in place alright), lowered the trans down, and tightened everything to spec.

Then I replaced the top engine mount also...didn't take long since I've done it so many times.

And for the big test: Started the engine. Wow! What a difference. The vibration is nearly gone and my expectations are completely met. The extra $$ I paid for these mounts was well worth it and since they are OEM they should last for years to come.

This whole job took about 4 hours time from start to finish...and I take my time while working on my car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #27
lamping.ap
Advanced Member
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachands View Post
Since I have an auto trans, I elected to remove my battery and battery tray as well as lower the subframe by loosening the two driver's side bolts. Let me say, for an auto trans, lowering the subframe seems absolutely necessary. The endcover of the trans ends up hitting the frame on the way up....once there, there is not enough room to remove the mount unless the subframe is lowered.
I've done this twice on an automatic. This isn't difficult. I replaced the top at the same time, so first I removed that mount. Then, remove the lower nut and the two bolts for the trans mount. Put a jack under the trans and lift till the engine begins to raise. The old mount will come right out. To get the new (taller because it's new) use a long bar of any rigid type, I have a 4 foot black pipe, to move the drive train toward the passenger side while maneuvering the mount in there with your other hand (may be easier with another person). Then install top mount. Messing with the subframe could be more of a pain in dealing with the alignment issues... just my 2 cents.

Last edited by lamping.ap; 05-17-2014 at 06:19 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamping.ap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamping.ap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #28
bachands
Advanced Member

2002 SL2

Just for kicks I took some pictures of the mounts that came off my car.

That trans mount was just gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_051814_001.jpg (188.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Photo_051814_002.jpg (195.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Photo_051814_003.jpg (197.8 KB, 27 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #29
bachands
Advanced Member

2002 SL2

The frowny-style top mount was almost gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_051814_016.jpg (138.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Photo_051814_018.jpg (131.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Photo_051814_017.jpg (126.6 KB, 14 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #30
bachands
Advanced Member

2002 SL2

Note how the Westar solid-type mount looks just like an OEM. Appearances can be deceiving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_051814_015.jpg (139.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Photo_051814_014.jpg (133.5 KB, 17 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!