SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who Changes Your Saturn's Oil?
I Do 48 41.74%
My Retailer 55 47.83%
Service Station 12 10.43%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 10:20 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Question Do You Change Your Saturn's Oil?

Do you change your Saturn's oil? Do you bring it to your retailer, or a third party service center?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2003, 10:36 PM   #2
swoker183
swoker183 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

bring it to my retailer, saturn of berlin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swoker183's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swoker183 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2003, 11:07 PM   #3
XtremeGrandAm
Master Member
XtremeGrandAm is on a distinguished road

I always took it in. Saturn of Indianapolis and saturn of fishers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XtremeGrandAm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XtremeGrandAm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:01 AM   #4
f clark
f clark is on a distinguished road

Do mine own
That way I know if there any parts in it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to f clark's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help f clark reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:02 AM   #5
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member
Hiddenlites is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

I change the oil in my own vehicles most of the time. It's remarkably easy compared to the two Subirds that I used to own. If I didn't have to put the front end on jack stands, It would almost be easier than changing the oil in my S-10.

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2008 Saturn VUE Redline 175k sold 7/8/16
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiddenlites's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiddenlites reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:35 AM   #6
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

I have my Retailership do it. Saturn of Aurora.

Make sure it's done right, and if something is wrong, they let me know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Xanatos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Xanatos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 12:50 AM   #7
94sc293sl1
Advanced Member
94sc293sl1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Finally learned how to change my own oil this year. My friend let me go up to his shop, we'd jack it up and be done in like 10 minutes. Since I'm moving back home that option won't exist. My neighbor across the street has car ramps and all kinds of stuff so I'll probably be going over there from now on.

Craig
Saturn owner no longer as of 12/21/05, sold my SC2.
www.insidetrackmagazine.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc293sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc293sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 03:49 AM   #8
MydnightMyst
Advanced Member
MydnightMyst is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

I do, for the most part, but since I change my oil more often than recommended, because I drag race, sometimes I don't have the time and Johnny Mac Motorsports does it for me.

~Christena J. Snowden~
1996 Saturn SL2 drag car
1996 Saturn SL2 street car
1997 Saturn SC2, 2003 OLOA class winner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MydnightMyst's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MydnightMyst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 04:40 AM   #9
muzikmann
muzikmann is on a distinguished road

1993 SL1

I used to change my own, but the cool manager at the apartments got promoted and we got stuck with a bunch of idiots. But that'll change soon since we're moving into a house. For the time being, I take it to the dealership close to me (Saturn of Chapel Hills) since it's cheap and they wash my car for me; something else I can't do here.

Jeff Parham
1993 SL1 - R.I.P. @ 198,000 Miles
2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to muzikmann's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help muzikmann reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 07:18 AM   #10
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Weather permitting, I do my own in the garage. Can't beat the set-up for changing oil in the Ecotec. Takes 10 min. with little mess. No more S-Series oil change nightmares.
Occasionally, I will take it to the dealer to change and get a free car wash out of it & buy a couple filters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 07:19 AM   #11
Galileo
Master Member
Galileo is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default My Retailer

I learned how to change my oil on my '93 SL2 and did it a few times but, once the novelty of doing it myself wore off, I just let my retailer do it for me now.

Beautiful People First~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Galileo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Galileo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 08:19 AM   #12
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

i do it unless it's freezing cold and snow outside, then i have saturn do it.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 08:45 AM   #13
03VUEAWDVTI
Advanced Member
03VUEAWDVTI is on a distinguished road

I do my own. That way I know it's done right. Too many horror stories out there of botched jobs resulting in fights over who is responsible for the melted engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 03VUEAWDVTI's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 03VUEAWDVTI reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 09:03 AM   #14
bennett9000
bennett9000 has a spectacular aura aboutbennett9000 has a spectacular aura about

All myself. I don't see the point in paying somebody to do it if I can do it myself. Same way with any service on my cars- it's me or nobody. Unless it requires a piece of equipment or skill I don't have (bending exhaust, new tires, or replacing a windshield or paint work or something) I HATE letting someone else work on my car.

-Andy

01 SL1 (2011-2014) 99 SW2 (2002-2009) 95 SL2 (1997-2002)
00 ROUSH Cougar V6 03 SVT Focus #2370 08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bennett9000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bennett9000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 11:40 AM   #15
sstar
sstar is just really nicesstar is just really nicesstar is just really nicesstar is just really nicesstar is just really nice

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

No one touches my car except for my trusted mechanic. Except for warranty repairs, and then I'm on pins and needles. I personaly know of two retailer oil change mishaps (non Saturn). One Ford retailer forgot to put the oil in my neighbors truck. They had to replace the motor! The other was a loose drain plug. The oil light came on when he got home. He was furious. Fortunately, no damage was caused

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sstar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sstar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 11:52 AM   #16
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally posted by sstar
No one touches my car except for my trusted mechanic. Except for warranty repairs, and then I'm on pins and needles. I personaly know of two retailer oil change mishaps (non Saturn). One Ford retailer forgot to put the oil in my neighbors truck. They had to replace the motor! The other was a loose drain plug. The oil light came on when he got home. He was furious. Fortunately, no damage was caused
A co-worker of mine just went through the same thing. Thought he got a bargain when he went to "A named brand tire dealer" to get a $15.95 oil change. Drove the car for a week when he heard a loud pop on the freeway, smoke everywhere. The 2001 Malibu limped to the parking lot here at work, then died.
Seems the mechanic put the wrong filter on & it worked it's way off blowing the motor.
Lucky for him the tire store bought him a used 3.1 V6 for only $3500.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 03:36 PM   #17
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

And we had Saturn techs putting the 6 cyl. filter in the 2.2 for the L. The filters are easy to tell apart. I had a case where the filter wasn't changed by a Saturn Tech on my L. Just because they are nice and wash your car dosen't mean they do the work right. I like to do myself. I know it was done right and what materials were used

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 06:42 PM   #18
bravesfann23
bravesfann23 is on a distinguished road

I do it myself. Actually I just did the first one on my L200. It was so easy I can't justify letting someone else do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bravesfann23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bravesfann23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 07:31 PM   #19
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

I changed my own oil on my previous car, but lost accesss to the nice warm garage where I used to do it. That fact, the lower clearance under my Saturn, and low service prices convinced me to let Saturn do it when I bought my SW2.

I only had a problem once, when somebody stripped the threads on the oilpan, but that was replaced under warranty - since ALL work had been done by several Saturn retailers. This isn't rocket science but then they don't have master technicians doing oil changes (more like the car lot jockey or former parts counter person).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2003, 08:16 PM   #20
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

I do my own - have been for 30 years. Over that time I can count on 1 hand the number of changes that I didn't do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread