SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
ghack
ghack is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default leaking transmission cooler line

I have an 02 SL1 with 266k miles. The hex nut that holds the transmission cooler fitting to the inside of the radiator is rusted and coolant is leaking. I have read a number of posts regarding leaky trans cooler lines, but most seem to say the radiator needs to be replaced. If the experts agree that is the best course, I will do that. It just seems that the nut was definitely rusted out(stamped metal) and not holding much. I should be able to replace that nut, possibly add a new rubber gasket under the nut and tight to the fitting, possibly teflon tape, and it would tighten up. I'm guessing there is also a sealing gasket already on the fitting that seals agains the inside face of the hole in the radiator. I don't see the radiator is cracked anywhere. Has anyone had any experience just replacing that nut? Any recommendations? I should mention, the leak is on the lower line. The nut probably cost a couple bucks, the radiator to buy locally is $100. I don't want to replace the nut, and find it leaking again after a few days either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ghack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ghack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ghack is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: leaking transmission cooler line

Replace the radiator, also I would replace both cooler lines and the fittings that screw into the transaxle where the cooler lines hook into.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
chriscompton
chriscompton is on a distinguished road

Heads up, if you end up buying new Tranny Coolant Lines, don't buy from Napa! I just made that mistake and the end that goes into the tranny did not fit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chriscompton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chriscompton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chriscompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghack View Post
I have an 02 SL1 with 266k miles. The hex nut that holds the transmission cooler fitting to the inside of the radiator is rusted and coolant is leaking. I have read a number of posts regarding leaky trans cooler lines, but most seem to say the radiator needs to be replaced. If the experts agree that is the best course, I will do that. It just seems that the nut was definitely rusted out(stamped metal) and not holding much. I should be able to replace that nut, possibly add a new rubber gasket under the nut and tight to the fitting, possibly teflon tape, and it would tighten up. I'm guessing there is also a sealing gasket already on the fitting that seals agains the inside face of the hole in the radiator. I don't see the radiator is cracked anywhere. Has anyone had any experience just replacing that nut? Any recommendations? I should mention, the leak is on the lower line. The nut probably cost a couple bucks, the radiator to buy locally is $100. I don't want to replace the nut, and find it leaking again after a few days either.
I remember reading that there was someone here in the past that tried to replace the nut and did not hold. These radiators normally crack right there anyways. Do yourself a favor and buy a new radiator and only buy Sella or Delphi, as these are the only ones that will last long. The others may last a couple of years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
mrriden
mrriden is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2002 SL1

You probably will never get the lower transmission line off the radiator to replace the nut without causing a crack sooo....
Under $50. It's a Silla. Free shipping to your door. Buy it. Replace it, done! I did it in short order on a Saturday. Don't screw with it. Just swap it out. Be happy!
http://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Auto-...n+sl1+radiator

The how to video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nUyGjeLpVs

See if you can bust the transmission lines loose from the radiator before you start. Won't budge? [I suspect they won't on a New England car]buy new lines also. On the trans-axle side they connect with a quick release fitting.

'02 SC2 'The Schnoot'
'94 SL2 'Beauty' (R.I.P.)
'02 SL1 'Silver Lining'

Last edited by mrriden; 04-11-2014 at 07:49 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrriden's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrriden reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrriden is offline   Reply With Quote