SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
pwnsnl300
pwnsnl300 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default 03 saturn l300 NO START ISSUE!

Ok so there is a bit of a laundry list of details I want to share. I have tried to find similar problems to my issue but with no avail and no definent answer. I would very much like to get some tips, idea's or solutions before I send my car to GM. Ok so here goes

Problem: My vehical crank's but does NOT start. This happened after I had changed my fuel filter. Before I get into this I would like to share earlier symptoms before my car couldn't start. A week before this happened I was driving on the highway going about 50-55 when suddenly the reduce engine light came on and I lost acceleration power almost immediately. I took the next off ramp found a safe spot, parked and shut down. After aout 5 minutes I restarted and Everything was running normal as usual. about 15 mins after driving my car seemed like it wanted to stall out and it did. Several times, mostly when my car was in idle. Started up fine gave it some gas and it seems to idle for a bit then stall once again. Drove it home and decided to give the car a tune up. My check engine light was on, and had been on for quite a while even before this incident. Autozone gave me codes it was the EVAP codes p0442. Replaced gas cap, there was a hole in the vapor line in filler neck replaced entire filler neck assembly and vapor solenoid. Spark plugs also been replaced. When all that was changed car still started. After I changed the fuel filter and yes the arrow point's towards the engine so it was on correctly the car just would crank and not start. Replaced the fuel pump and checked fuse and relay both were ok even replaced relay with horn relay and then baught a new relay same issue. usually when the key is on the ON position the fuel gauge would read some type of fuel in my tank it just read's empty all the time. I don't hear anything from the pump and the fuel rail has some fuel but no healthy spray. I tested out the relay with a test light I only got power from 86 and nothing from 87 or 30 on my relay there is 30 and 30a Im guessing 30a is where I could jump the pump to get it started? I tried it and nothing happened. Or is it 30 and not 30a to jump it went from 87 to 30a. while the key was on still nothing. I also replaced the CPS and still no start. Im not sure what to do next. I did check for good ground on the wires to the pump which is under my back seat and it was checked to be ok I did not check the connecters that are on the pump. Im just baffled that a fuel filter would cause a no start issue with my car. Also is the ECU responsible for the fuel system or is it the PCU I am lost with those two not sure what to check. also I only have 2 bolt's on the ECU would that cause it to not work because it worked fine before this happened so im leaning towards bad ecu/pcu or just brining it to GM to get it checked out any help is appreciated sorry for long post thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pwnsnl300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pwnsnl300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pwnsnl300 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 03 saturn l300 NO START ISSUE!

Welcome to the Saturnfan Forums! First off, all L's with V6's have an ECM (Engine Control Module) and a TCM (Transmission Control Module). The four cylinder engines have a PCM (Powertrain Control Module) to cover both engine and transmission. The ECM oversees/controls various things including fuel injection, but that control depends on input from various sensors. The most common issue relating to failure such as yours is with the crankshaft position sensor having gone bad. Search the threads here, there are many relating to that sensor, and I think you'll find some common ground relative to your troubles. As the venerable fdryer puts it, "The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No CPS = dead EFI system."

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
pwnsnl300

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yeah I have already replaced the cps. I had a buddy of mine who wet to UTI check my car for me he did my old cps wasn't getting spark when we did the spark test from coils so I replaced cps rest the computer tried to turn her over an sill nothing still not getting any pressure to fuel rail very little comes out no healthy spray as i saw mentioned in forums. I did read a similar problem an he guy bright his l300 to saturn and they replaced te ECM if I were to replace that could I out one on that i saw on eBay already programmed on my car it's te same year and model just wondering I can do that also there are only two bolts holding it in place do you think if I find two more screws would help? I want to do everything I can do before I send it in for service thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pwnsnl300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I certainly don't know if replacing the ECU will solve your problem, however, I believe you should be okay in using a part from a donor vehicle with the same engine and year as yours. I would always prefer to have the unit securely in place so, yes, find a pair of screws. To the best of my knowledge, those specific ones are only available from the dealer. I don't believe that the lack of screws will hinder the performance of the unit.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Check every fuse to be sure none are blown. The simplest fuse check; use a voltmeter or test light and ground one probe/wire to the engine/chassis while probing with the other test probe to measure voltage or light. A good fuse will show 12v on both sides while a blown one will not show 12v on one side. The same for a test light; both sides of a good fuse will turn on a test light but a blown fuse will only power a test light on one side.

The ecm in one post was loosely mounted to the engine block and caused very erratic starting/running problems until it was securely bolted to the engine block - poor grounding prevented the ecm from operating. Do whatever it takes to mount the ecm to the engine block as mounting provides proper electrical grounding.

When the EFI system is working the best examples of it are the visual indicators and sounds; at ignition ON time/engine OFF, all gauge lights turn on for a few seconds then turn off leaving a few lights while the fuel pump cycles for 2 seconds to pressurize the fuel lines - a faint hum/hiss sound can be heard in the car. Either a fuel pressure gauge can tell you or depressing the fuel test valve to see fuel spray.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #6
pwnsnl300

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Hey Fdryer I wasn't expecting you to reply lol your like everyone super hero on here I'm honored. So I wan't to shed more light on the history of my car. First off I baught this thing used from a 3rd party dealership. It currently had about 175k when I first baught it. After a week or so of driving the cursed engine light light up and I brought it back and the guy who sold it to me said it wasn't a problem and reset the battery to get rid of the light. 3 days later it came back on and I just delt with it. 2 years later here I am still with this car because it was still reliable and I still think its a very nice vehical when it starts and runs. So anywho I did check all my fuses and relay's with a test light and all were ok. Could you please tell me what pin should be hot all the time on the fuse pump relay? Is it 30a or 87? and how do I jump the fuel pump correctly is is 30a to 87 or 30 to 87? The ECM had two screws to begin with and the car ran with just those 2. The bolts look's like they has spline heads or star heads. Im sure I could find something similar at autozone or hardware store. Most parts for Saturn l300 are discontinued and I am having a hard time finding part's at the junk yards as the one in my area never have my car. So let me run it down for ya one more time.

THings I have replaced to current date: Serpentine belt, filler neck, fuel pump, vapor canister solenoid, gas cap, spark splugs, CPS, horn, horn relay. and fuse box. I had accidently broken the one that was in there because I was trying to undo the power connecter bolt and the ground connecter snaped as I turned it a bit too hard.(This happened just recently not before I tested everything just fyi) waitng Friday to get it through ebay. Also while testing a week ago my friend told me that the throttle body butterfly plate didn't open when my foot was on the gas pedal while the key was in the ON position. Could thise be some factor of the ECU not working? also when we did the spark plug test he said it gave out very little spark. Has anyone else here said anything about car not starting after replaing the fuel filter? This is just the crazies thing. You think the passlock could do this? After we cranked the car a few times I did see the passlock light come on for about 10 seconds then shut off on its on we turn the key again and it doesn't show anymore it
s random. Also 3 days ago I turned the key to on and I hear fast clicking noises souned like it was coming from glove blox or engine not sure and all the lights were dimming rapidly, The climate control turned on on its own and blew out cold air when that happened the clicking stopped when I turned the button off for temp control it happened again. Next day that problem stopped all together. Battery was dying and had to recharge.I am thinking to replace the battery on this thing seeing as how it might be faulty at this point.And Im not sure when it was replaced... one thing I didn't mention is that we did NOT disconnect the battery when we replaced the fuel filter and did not take off any fuses or relays so not sure if we had to for this procedure and yes the arrow on fuel filter points towards the engine correct? I'd really hate to bring this to GM cause id have to tow it 8 miles away and then wait 2 weeks for them to just look at it..thanks you guys! Sorry for all the question I just trying to narrow it down for you guys as much as I can.

One last thing I have reset the battery a few times and when the key is ON the check engine light is on and the service engine light is on its the icon with the car and a wrench. Not sure what it means actually. and the passlock and ABS light comes on sometimes. or It may be just ABS and no passlock.. My car seems outta order eh?

Last edited by pwnsnl300; 04-01-2014 at 10:55 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you cannot hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds at ignition ON time or see fuel spray out the fuel rail test valve, jumpering the fuel pump won't help. The ecm runs the fuel pump when ignition is first turned ON and when the engine's running.

Jumpering relay terminals 30 and 87 sends 12v power to the fuel pump immediately.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
pwnsnl300

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The culprit was the ECM my father ended up starting the car while lifting the back en of the ECM she fired right up bit when we let the ECM go car dies so in thinking there is a short in it I ordered a used ECM fully tested and working same part number so in hoping the new ECM will fix the issue once and for all thanks for all your help hope someone takes use of this information heck ecm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not clear about lifting the ecm off the engine block and successfully getting the engine to run. Do you mean the ecm will run with it clear of the engine (still connected electrically) or run with it bent over but still loosely mounted? ECM's must be mounted securely to the engine block - it needs to be grounded to operate. While ecm's rarely fail, there are exceptions.

Examine the two siamese multiple pin connectors for secure (locked) connections. Do not disconnect them unless battery negative is disconnected first. There's memory power always supplied to ecm's, bcm's, radios, etc..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #10
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I am thinking a wire with worn insulation or a break here, or a loose connector or something.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #11
Thedeadman21
Thedeadman21 is on a distinguished road

I'm having issues with my 01 l300. Recently took stock stereo out. Well ended up putting the stock radio back in. When I did I forgot to disconnect the battery and then my radio didn't work. Found out the fuse was blown so replaced the fuse and again due to being really sleepy forgot to again disconnect the battery and the car does not crank, no lights come on at all. But right after I replaced the fuse for the radio the car almost came on then died before it actually cranked or did anything. Have tried jumping the car and did nothing. Thought it might be a fuse. I'm in need of some help plz

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thedeadman21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thedeadman21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Thedeadman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Dead battery? Any chance of blowing other fuses not checked? Tried jump starting your car with a boost from a portable jump pack or another car and jumper cables?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #13
Thedeadman21

I've checked few of them. Trying to check my 30 which is one of the bigger ones. But from what I can see it appears to be ok. I've had someone try to jump my car and did nothing. Nothing comes on not even dashboard lights front or rear lights. Nothing works at all. I'm gonna try tomorrow one more time to try and jump it to see if it helps. I did see a spark when I put the new fuse in for the radio. So it appears the issue started right after I replaced the radio fuse. We used jumper cables and tried to jump my car from my neighbor's car and nothing happened. Still didn't even crank

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Thedeadman21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:09 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Unless you truly bungled a radio installation and did more damage than you realize, I can't think of electrical damage from inside the car unless wiring near the radio harness were cut/chafed/pulled/yanked to damage ignition switch or bcm wiring. While it may be a pain, removing the radio and disconnecting the radio and checking for any damaged wiring in the radio opening may reveal something. The interior fuse panels in driver and passenger footwell has fuses. the body control module has several fuses that are located in the engine bay. The bcm runs most of the instrument panel lighting with ABS and airbag indicator driven by their modules. If nothing is found, main power is considered; battery, battery cables and their connections.

The ignition switch has one or two fuses, the bcm has several. You may have to go thru every fuse to find the blown one(s). If battery connections aren't secure and loose, clamping jumper cables onto loose battery connections may not allow booster battery connectivity. For safety, the red battery booster is connected to either the battery red terminal or onto the main fuse terminal near the battery - a flip up red cover exposes battery connection to the fuse panel and allows a jumper cable connection. Battery booster negative should be connected to the engine block - the lift bracket on the engine provides a direct ground connection to the engine. Side terminals are very small and don't provide good electrical connections for powering the starter.

Last edited by fdryer; 10-11-2017 at 09:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #15
Thedeadman21

I didn't to my knowledge rip or tear any wires out. Also when I originally tried to install the aftermath radio I used a wire harness to avoid cutting anything. Also bought a stereo kit that came with crimpers, and other tools for the car installation process. But after I removed the aftermarket stereo things seemed fine. It's weird i only had an issue today right after replacing the radio fuse and saw a spark then tried to turn car over and lights came up for a sec then the car died. And tried to turn it over again and nothing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #16
Thedeadman21

Think I'm gonna tomorrow give jumping the car one more try cause I truly feel like that may fix the issue. Or the fuses. Could be the fuses too. Was my other thought it might be the fuses I could've blown one. Especially since I just replaced the radio fuse within the last month and it blew when I switched the radio back to the stock one ik it did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2017, 05:11 AM   #17
Thedeadman21

Update... So I went to my car this morning and when I opened my car door heard buzzing sounds. Faint but buzzing coming from within the car dash. Lights were faint. Then tried again to jump the car. The lights came back on for a few secs again after I tried to start it. Person gave me a boost. Then the buzzing occurred again. Then a 2nd time tried to start the car and the buzzing stopped

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #18
Thedeadman21

So my issue has been solved. My contacts on the battery had corrosion on them. Cleaned the contacts with a special tool. Now my car starts without any issues. Took like 5mins to correct

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #19
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedeadman21 View Post
So my issue has been solved. My contacts on the battery had corrosion on them. Cleaned the contacts with a special tool. Now my car starts without any issues. Took like 5mins to correct
Congratulations on correcting your starting problem! It's interesting to note that when diagnosing a starting problem this is one of the fundamental things that we always looked at and would coincide with a battery test when I worked for my father at his service station.

I can recall seeing many cars come to us with starting problems which developed over time due to heavy concentrations of corrosion at the battery posts. This would occasionally require the battery to be recharged, cleaning the cable terminals and battery posts and all would be well. If the condition persisted too long it would weaken the battery to the point of requiring replacement so corrosion is not something to be taken lightly by any of us. The thing about battery corrosion is that it simply creates resistance. Once this resistance is great enough, the power from the battery to the cables is blocked and, as you experienced, it becomes a no-start problem. Be sure to verify that your battery is fully charged. If it's a little bit low, put it on a trickle charger over night. Running a car on a weakened battery means the charging system can be over worked on other problems may arise from that.

Question: how bady corroded were the cable terminals and the battery side posts? I ask this because I've had no corrosion at the battery or cables whatsoever since I purchased my LS1 in 2001. (FWIW, I think there can be a tendency toward expecting complex solutions to repair problems all to often and I sense this tendency in myself.)

Last edited by pierrot; 10-12-2017 at 09:56 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #20
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Battery corrosion tends to sneak up slowly until all power is lost, as you discovered. A simple maintenance procedure would be using a warm solution of water and baking soda with a toothbrush to apply, brush and dissolve dried battery acid. Bubbling is the reaction to baking soda neutralizing acid with a water rinse. A light coat of grease or can of battery terminal protector and sealer sprayed onto terminals can slow future build up of corrosion.

Since you found corroded battery connections that killed all power to the car and everything is back to normal, you can reinstall your new radio system. It may be wise to disconnect battery negative or radio fuses. Be sure to check all new wiring to the radio. If fuses blew and you didn't find the source of this problem, you might repeat blowing more fuses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corrosion.jpg (58.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg battery corrosion-1.jpg (24.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by fdryer; 10-12-2017 at 12:06 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!