SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #1
Razzor19
Razzor19 is on a distinguished road

Default L300 Service Wrench Issue

I have a 2002 Saturn l300 with 189k miles. Lately something with the transmission has been acting up. The service wrench light will come on and the transmission will shift hard between 1st-2nd, and when going from park to reverse or drive it will stop for a second and then slam into gear which physically shakes the car. Looked up a little information on this and it looks it might be the Transmission line solenoid valve. I was wondering if anyone else has had any problems like this at all? and if you have how hard would it be to replace/can i do it my own.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razzor19's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razzor19 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Razzor19 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: L300 Service Wrench Issue

If you search past threads within Saturnfans you'll find one or two posts about similar problems and replacing the line pressure control solenoid. The search feature here isn't Google and requires wading thru threads but can be found within the L-series forums. Wrench lights cannot be read by generic readers. Better readers as well as GM'S Tech II scantool can decode wrench errors.

Perhaps the easiest try would be replacing the xmission fluid and filter if it wasn't done?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzor19 View Post
I have a 2002 Saturn l300 with 189k miles. Lately something with the transmission has been acting up. The service wrench light will come on and the transmission will shift hard between 1st-2nd, and when going from park to reverse or drive it will stop for a second and then slam into gear which physically shakes the car. Looked up a little information on this and it looks it might be the Transmission line solenoid valve. I was wondering if anyone else has had any problems like this at all? and if you have how hard would it be to replace/can i do it my own.
Your pressure solenoid needs to be replaced...Mine and my parents did that same problem your describing and 500$$ laters no more tranx mash 1-2 all smooth and running.....it's not easy I had a Tranx shop do the work....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I had a similar problem, that solenoid replacement sounded to be the key. I read that if you shut the engine off for a few seconds, then back on it will reset the solenoid so you can keep on driving, which I noticed when I stopped at the store, then drove home. So I got ready to drive my truck until I got it done, but never had the problem again.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:06 AM   #5
Sky Pilot
Sky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Wow, that sounds like the problem my wife's LW300 had last weekend. The little wrench lit up and shifting was really hard. She drove it the next time and no problem and then again with no problem. I don't mind repairing something if that's what requires repairing, but no shooting in the dark, that can get expensive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:34 AM   #6
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
Wow, that sounds like the problem my wife's LW300 had last weekend. The little wrench lit up and shifting was really hard. She drove it the next time and no problem and then again with no problem. I don't mind repairing something if that's what requires repairing, but no shooting in the dark, that can get expensive.
If it has gone 100K already it would seem time to change the parts to avoid future more expensive repairs. I rathter fix and spend less then spends thousands for tranx repairs or rebuilding the tranx. At least with the solenoid fix will keep the tranx shifting smoothly until the tranx does require rebuilding or replacement. But that would be based on ones driving habits-drive it hard and the tranx will go out eventually but maintenance it and it will last for years to come until parts wear out from general usage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
Sky Pilot
Sky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
If it has gone 100K already it would seem time to change the parts to avoid future more expensive repairs. I rathter fix and spend less then spends thousands for tranx repairs or rebuilding the tranx. At least with the solenoid fix will keep the tranx shifting smoothly until the tranx does require rebuilding or replacement. But that would be based on ones driving habits-drive it hard and the tranx will go out eventually but maintenance it and it will last for years to come until parts wear out from general usage.
Thanks. I read in another post that the MAF can cause the same issue. How can a bad or dirty MAF cause a tranny issue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
I don't mind repairing something if that's what requires repairing, but no shooting in the dark, that can get expensive.
I'm with you. This is an item which should be repaired based on a confirmed diagnosis and not on a possibility, or a hope that it corrects an existing fault. I have no problem with preventative maintenance, however, replacement of valve body solenoids or other related components have not historically fit into that category of automotive work.

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
mkhunt101
mkhunt101 is on a distinguished road

I have had the same issue with my 2004 L300.I cringe when the wrench light comes on because I know the transmission is going to do what you describe.I took mine to the trans shop and had them drain/fill with new fluid and a filter.Tech cleared the code and only once has it happened since and this has been a couple months now.When it comes on I just turn the key off and it resets and I am back on my way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkhunt101's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkhunt101 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkhunt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkhunt101 View Post
I have had the same issue with my 2004 L300.I cringe when the wrench light comes on because I know the transmission is going to do what you describe.I took mine to the trans shop and had them drain/fill with new fluid and a filter.Tech cleared the code and only once has it happened since and this has been a couple months now.When it comes on I just turn the key off and it resets and I am back on my way.
This is asking for trouble. Your already getting the early signs of the problem yet you are failing to fix the problem that will get worse and worse and the cost will cost more and more. Problems solenoid or tranx problem do not go away just with drain and tranx refill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Thanks. I read in another post that the MAF can cause the same issue. How can a bad or dirty MAF cause a tranny issue?
It can happen but if your tranx is over 100k and never been drain and filled or maintenance your MAF replacement will not fix the 1-2 slam shifts this requires a solenoid replacement to fix the hard shifts. I did what you did and the problem slam 1-2 remain and not til I had the solenoid replaced did the problem go away. Spent $$$$ on MAF when the problem was the solenoid replacement replacing the solenoid will save you more in the long run for tranx problem then a MAF will do for you.

Last edited by Russet; 08-12-2014 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: revise

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2014, 11:48 PM   #12
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkhunt101 View Post
Should this occur again and the wrench light illuminate, ask the mechanic to tell you what the code number is and its description. Make note of the amount of time passing between the occasions when this occurs. How much time elapsed between the transmission service and the next time that the wrench light came on?

273,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote