SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
eseebeck
eseebeck has a spectacular aura abouteseebeck has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default should i buy a saturn

i have an 02 l300 with the v6. it has 205k miles and has been a great car to own. I am starting to think that perhaps i need a new car with less miles. I commute 40 miles one way and CAN NOT be late for work. So a break down would be a huge deal.

I love my saturn and would love to replace it with another, but what model/year should i get. I need good gas mileage, so thinking a sedan is best. would an ion be a good choice, can i get 25 mpg with an ion, do they come with 4 cyl or 6 cyl and which is best to have. what maintenance should i look for in a used ion with 100k or less miles. then i would drive it for another 100k. will an ion run 200k with minimal issues.

my l300 had catcon issues and replaced the crank sensor, so pretty much bullet proof. other than oil changes, brakes and tires of course.

Thanks for any ideas and insight

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eseebeck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eseebeck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eseebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: should i buy a saturn

No timing belt replacement in your V6 in 205k miles? The way you're driving, your L300 should last a long time with only long term wear and tear issues to be concerned about; alternator, timing belt, water pump, plugs, hoses, radiator, struts, brakes and bushings. With mainly highway mileage, long legs suits any car engine, xmission and suspension system as everything moves in unison.

A timing belt, water pump and plugs at 200k miles are due unless they were already done? Knowing your car's history should allow you to make a better decision on whether to hold onto it longer, add another car of questionable history or trade yours in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
eseebeck

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thanks. I've replaced plugs twice removed the cat convs replaced both coil packs crank pos sensor and mass air flow sensor. I think that is it for repairs. Brakes serp belt tires wipers an occasional light bulb

I know I need to do the timing belt and water pump SOON. What else is on the horizon for repairs? I've been putting off the timing belt because I don't have the tool that holds all the pulleys while replacing. I think the tool is $400?? So I'vee just put it off way too long. I guess if you tell me it will go another 100k. I'll but the tool and replace the belt and water pump while I'm there

It does smoke heavily at start up. Blue smoke so I assume it is getting oil past the rings and burning it. Seems like a good guess with 200k??

Thanks again for you input

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help eseebeck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If the timing belt was never replaced, your engine's on borrowed time as the timing belt won't last forever. And there's no excuse about replacing it just because the "$400" tool set needed to hold cams from turning isn't affordable. If you search past threads you would have found how resourceful DIYers are by being "cheap" and using every alternative method to get the job done - from conjuring up long bolts/fender washers/nuts or many wire ties (Ty-wraps) to bind cams in place. Done with pictures to show and share, none failing. Only a place like Saturnfans with members sharing ideas and short cuts can accomplish what can be done without resorting to using the "proper tools".

When the coil packs were replaced, it would have been a good time to perform a compression test to gauge the overall health of the engine. Oil burning now makes it almost mandatory to determine the extent of wear for every cylinder/piston set.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

^+1
Yeah - you don't need no special tools . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...3&d=1372346218
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173406

But this must be the longest any Saturnfan has gone on the original L81 TB without it breaking. But if a compression check shows you need engine work, it might not be worth doing the belt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
eseebeck

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thanks for the input. And yes I know the belt is going to be the end of my Saturn if I don't grit it done. But I'm thinking is it worth the time and money only to have the oil burning be indicative of a failure elsewhere that will end this car. I've searched for belt repair ides with little or no luck. I can't get the search tool to work on Thai forum for some reason.

Thanks for your input. I think I'll replace the belt and water pump and go from there. I'm considering an ion or aura. Something a little newer with less miles
Can I get 200k out of an ion or aura

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2014, 03:46 AM   #7
Glenn00sw2
Glenn00sw2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2
1994 SL1

Oil smoke bomb at start-up is usually a sign of bad valve stem seals.
Oil smoke on downhill runs with no throttle (hi vacuum) is also a sign of bad valve stem seals.

Not nearly as costly to repair as bad piston rings / cylinder walls.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Glenn00sw2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Glenn00sw2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Glenn00sw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
dylan07
dylan07 has a spectacular aura aboutdylan07 has a spectacular aura about

Do your research for common problems on ANY car before buying.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dylan07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dylan07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dylan07 is offline   Reply With Quote