SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
mars2878
mars2878 is on a distinguished road

Default i helped to save a saturn today

an 01 sc1 auto w/158k mi. was junked @ my work late yesterday. the car failed inspection due to the suspension. her mechanic told her it would be about $1k to repair. the car body was clean w/ only a little scale behind the
3rd dr. driver seat showed some wear on the outer bolster. sunroof only moved up & down about a 1/2in, did not appear to leak. new front struts. ea pit in trunk had a small hole drilled in it, probably took on water @ some point. valve cover leaked. ran quiet, drove good & thermostat @ proper level. so I put the car out front this morning for sale. the car was sold by lunch. the coupe would've went to crush because we replaced all of the s-series in the last few weeks. the cust is picking up the coupe tomorrow. this is getting a second lease on life.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mars2878's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mars2878 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mars2878 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: i helped to save a saturn today

Good Job!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Don't know why she wouldn't get a good running car fixed. Sounds like it's going to a better home.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

^^^^ You sir are a contemporary 'Monuments Man'!

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 PM   #5
Tyler12189
Tyler12189 is just really niceTyler12189 is just really niceTyler12189 is just really niceTyler12189 is just really nice

1998 SL2

It amazes me how people just give up on maintaining their cars. I see it every day and it makes me sick how people treat their cars like they arnt worth anything. even an older car still can be a great car if you take care of the damn thing. good job for saving the car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tyler12189's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tyler12189 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tyler12189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:58 PM   #6
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
^^^^ You sir are a contemporary 'Monuments Man'!
Errr....A what?

edit: Not sure if that was directed to me or OP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:21 AM   #7
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Three cheers for the OP! Hip hip hooray!

2014 Cannondale 27spd 29": 30 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally" 5spd : 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve" 5spd : 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Woops - used the arrows (^^^^) wrongly. T'was really directed at Mars2878

We are all "Monuments Men" in our own way when it comes to saving Saturns.

I didn't see the movie, Monuments Men so I hope I'm getting the premise right.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #9
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars2878 View Post
the car failed inspection due to the suspension. her mechanic told her it would be about $1k to repair...
Was there any real issue with the suspension, or was the mechanic just looking to make a couple of boat payments?

Congrats on saving the car and getting it into the hands of someone who needs it.

'95 SL1 auto (RIP)
'98 SL2 5sp (RIP)
'01 SL2 auto (RIP)
'99 SC1 auto (Mom's...keeps on truckin')

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
irish56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
spacemanspif
Advanced Member
spacemanspif will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

How do you fail for suspension? Do they test the shocks to see if they are worn out??? I'm used to the communist state of New Jersey and before they did away with the safely check I don't recall any kind of suspension test. It was just the usual lights, horn and panic stop...

To the owner it was better to put the $1k towards a shiny new car. When people are given a bill like that they start to weigh their options and the "unknown future" usually keeps them from sinking money into the car. Her thought process was "if I spend the $1k now, what will be next to break? And then after that? The car has 160k on it, it's not going to last forever and I should get rid of it before it starts to nickel and dime me. I deserve a newer car anyway; at least it will be fore reliable and won't need so much upkeep"

Seen it once, seen it a million times. I came to the same cross road when I killed my trans doing the 5th gear swap. If I couldn't find a trans cheap I was going to scrap the car because I wouldn't drop over $1k on the car. Yea I knew that it would keep running but at the same time I could use the money to get something a little newer with less miles. But luckily I found a trans for $125, picked up a clutch and paid $300 for my friend to drop it in. Fixed up for around $500 aint bad; but for much more, she was going to the crusher... It's just a fact of life for older cars. They aren't going to run forever and each person has different views on when it's time to move on.

Such a low mile car would have been a shame to lose though, so good job to the OP for fighting the good fight and keeping good cars on the road

-Mike

1995 SL2 5spd - Stock/MP2 trans swap - 258,XXX miles - 38mpg @ 65mph
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.92@103mph - 19mpg @65mph - needs POSI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spacemanspif's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spacemanspif reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spacemanspif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
mars2878
mars2878 is on a distinguished road

the failed inspection report was in the glovebox. everything passed except for suspension. the car did have relatively new front struts, studs were still shiney new. the lady picked the car up today & took it around the corner to the inspection station. they did a quick safety inspection on it & told her she needed tie rods. bring it back after replacement. they told her they would charge her next time when they hook it up to the computer. her daughter is real w/ her new to her car. her son is also happy w/ the 91 grand am coupe w/ 128k mi she bought for him.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mars2878's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mars2878 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mars2878 is offline   Reply With Quote