SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
dlacacres
dlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of light

Default 2001 Hard Starting in Cold Weather

I have a 2001 SL2 that will only start cold when accelerator is depressed fully. ECTS is new and brass and the connector is fine as well. Once it starts and achieves idle, after holding accelerator pedal in position, the car runs fine.

Any leads?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dlacacres's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dlacacres reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dlacacres is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 Hard Starting in Cold Weather

What's fuel pressure? When were plugs replaced? Throttle clean? What's cold engine rpm? Warm?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
dlacacres
dlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of lightdlacacres is a glorious beacon of light

Plugs are new. First item I replaced. No fuel pressure gauge, but with key on, I get a small burst of fuel when depressing the schrader valve. After getting car to idle (less than a minute), cold idle is about 875rpm. Operating temp idle is 1000rpm.

I have another 2001 SW2 and the idle was 1200rpm cold, 975rpm operating temp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dlacacres reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

With both cars, cold engine idle should be around 1200 rpm and warm idle around 800-900 rpm. The temperature gauge needle should be at 3/8ths position, between the 1/4 and 1/2 marks. If close to the 1/4 mark, replace the thermostat. A worn out t-stat won't give good heater output. Cold running T-stats can cause rich running/higher than normal idle too.

Virtually all EFI engines never need anyone to use the gas pedal for starting - electronics almost guarantees instant starting in cold or hot weather. Its the most valuable feature for trouble free starting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
dlacacres

Thanks for the info, but I'm having a hard time understanding how a thermostat would affect an initial cold start. Can you clarify? It seems to me that some data is not being fed to the PCM on start-up. Once you get past the starting issue, the vehicle runs normal.

Last edited by dlacacres; 03-17-2014 at 06:02 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I threw out replacing the t-stat as something to look into with this issue. Pedal shouldn't be needed for almost any start. Forced to use pedal implies something wrong and suggests; throttle position sensor, dirty throttle body air intake, coolant sensor, map sensor, idle air control valve (in the throttle body), etc..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
dlacacres

Thanks, I'll be out of town for a while, but I'll get into it when I return.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #8
dlacacres

Prior to leaving out of town, I had some other work to do on the car (Hub Bearing), so I decided to pull the PCM-B fuse while I did the hub. The car now starts perfectly fine after resetting the PCM. Huh...go figure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2014, 11:28 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

PCM reset eh? Sometimes the easiest things are overlooked. At least in my mind's eye as it never occurred to me to suggest pcm reset. We can guess what was done to make the pcm start all over again but the important thing is that you tried something that worked and deserve all the credit. Thank you for following up and posting your results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
dlacacres

Happy Re: 2001 Hard Starting in Cold Weather

Thanks. It's been a week now and is starting fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!