SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
KaraokeNinja
KaraokeNinja is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Saturn Vue V6 Timing Belt Replacement

After much deliberation, I have decided that I am going to attempt to change the timing belt in my Vue. Its at just over 150k miles now and running good, but I don't want to push it any farther. I've read quite a bit on the forum already so I feel relatively well-informed about what to do. While I'm doing this, I would like to knock out as much other maintenance as I can. Here is the list of what work I plan on doing/parts I am ordering (from RockAuto):

Tranny fluid (Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF)
Fuel filter
Spark plugs (Bosch FGR8KQE)
Timing belt, tensioner assembly, idler pulley
Water pump
Thermostat
Serpentine belt
Valve cover gasket

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the OTC 6687 Cam Tool Set too to make things easier on myself.

My question to everyone who has done this before, am I missing anything on this list? I don't want to get halfway done and realize that I need another part or that I should have replaced something else while I have everything apart? Please take a look and let me know. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KaraokeNinja's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KaraokeNinja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KaraokeNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2003 Saturn Vue V6 Timing Belt Replacement

I think you have everything, but you don't need that Cam Tool Set.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
nil5
nil5 will become famous soon enoughnil5 will become famous soon enough

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
I think you have everything, but you don't need that Cam Tool Set.
Correct. There is a thread on here that details how to make your own cam-locking tool.

There will be one such locker for each bank. Each locker is constructed using a couple of fender washers, a nut and a carriage bolt. You basically bolt secure the two cams in place, and it works well in my experience.

Good luck! While the timing belt & water pump require careful attention to detail to do properly, I found it easier than doing the thermostat/plugs/valve cover gasket , which is the other common repair on the L81 V6.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nil5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nil5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nil5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
Cavell
Cavell is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

I saw a timing tool kit online for $90. Buy it and than sell it on CL. I used it and I like the cam locks and the crank aligning bracket is cool. Might have to try eBay to sell it. None local is going to buy a super rare 3.0 tool kit. I think 3 members on this board have a 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil5 View Post
Correct. There is a thread on here that details how to make your own cam-locking tool.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...3&d=1372346218

Btw - I thought of something else you might want to round up - 2 new O-rings for the T'stat Ext. Pipe > GM 9129999

PS - you can do the 'front end' and 'top end' jobs separately - not much in common with each.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
KaraokeNinja
KaraokeNinja is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. Just got to finish my taxes now to make sure I have money to start ordering the parts. I'll be sure to take pics and show you all how bad everything inside my engine is after 150k+ of neglect!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KaraokeNinja's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KaraokeNinja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KaraokeNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #7
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraokeNinja View Post
Thanks for the advice so far everyone. Just got to finish my taxes now to make sure I have money to start ordering the parts. I'll be sure to take pics and show you all how bad everything inside my engine is after 150k+ of neglect!
For the timing just get the kit. Its about $200...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(this is for 2006, 2003 may be different)

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
For the timing just get the kit. Its about $200...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(this is for 2006, 2003 is most assuredly different)
Fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

$125

ACDelco TCK285B Timing Belt Kit by ACDelco http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BZTMGO/..._L-.otb130KWH2

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
$125

ACDelco TCK285B Timing Belt Kit by ACDelco http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BZTMGO/..._L-.otb130KWH2

-Robert
That's better. The Gates TCK285BP is another option. You have to shop around and compare prices with shipping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
nil5
nil5 will become famous soon enoughnil5 will become famous soon enough

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...3&d=1372346218

Btw - I thought of something else you might want to round up - 2 new O-rings for the T'stat Ext. Pipe > GM 9129999

PS - you can do the 'front end' and 'top end' jobs separately - not much in common with each.
I would also consider servicing the oil cooler o-rings. On our Vue, several years ago, the o-rings dried up and oil was leaking into the cooling system. It is a common issue. New o-rings and a new bead of liquid gasket on the cover. This is in the Vee of the engine.

I also highly recommend using the "Right Stuff" for liquid gaskets. Once you get into the Vee of this engine, you don't want to have any leaks. It supposedly is much better than the blue/red garden variety stuff.

I second chazberry on the independence of the water pump/timing belt and thermostat/spark plugs job. There is little advantage to doing them at once. There is only one reason (I can think of) to do the thermostat/plugs at the same time as the timing belt. And that is because you would have to drain/fill the cooling system once instead of twice.

However, there is an advantage to doing it twice. You will get a better flushing of the cooling system this way. I will describe

Suppose you do the thermostat/plugs job first. Seal it all up. Fill the cooling system with distilled water and possibly a flushing agent, though I have never used one. You can run the engine to verify there are no leaks and everything is running properly. This will allow you to completely drain and flush the cooling system, whereas if you change the water pump at the same time, there may be residual coolant in the block.

After flushing the system well, then I would proceed to do the timing belt job.

The other advantage of splitting the jobs up, is if something does go wrong, you have fewer possible problem areas to investigate, and it might make diagnosing the problem faster.

hth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nil5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nil5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nil5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
dgsaturn
dgsaturn is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Does anyone have a link to a video for this belt job? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dgsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dgsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dgsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgsaturn View Post
Does anyone have a link to a video for this belt job? Thanks.
It's similar to this . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMXaw4xgogQ

Read this thread . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173406

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #14
dgsaturn
dgsaturn is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Thanks Chaz, I did see that one, just wanted to see if there is anything I need to know for the Vue configuration, mostly the engine mount part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dgsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dgsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dgsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #15
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgsaturn View Post
Thanks Chaz, I did see that one, just wanted to see if there is anything I need to know for the Vue configuration, mostly the engine mount part.
I don't remember anything special about the motor mount. You can support the engine with a jack under the crankcase. Use a 2 x 6 to spread the load, just keep it off the boss near the drain plug.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #16
Denny34
Denny34 is on a distinguished road

Are the spark plugs easy to do? I have a 2003 V6 Vue and think I would like to change them.

Any good diagrams on where they are located and recommendation on what plugs to use?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Denny34's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Denny34 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Denny34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #17
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny34 View Post
Are the spark plugs easy to do?
No - they are not easy. You have to remove the Intake Manifold to access the Bank 1 and Bank 2 Coil Packs. See this thread . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144817

The OE Plugs are Bosch FGR8KQE0. If you are going to this much trouble, while the Manifold is off, you want to replace the T'stat and Cam Cover Gaskets.

Another worth reading . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201335

REWARD EXCELLENCE!