SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
williamhaynes
williamhaynes is on a distinguished road

Question 96 sl2 starting problems please help me

I have a 96 sl2 with about 75000 miles on it. Ive had some trouble in the past but this one is really getting to me. So the other day i tryed to start my car and it would crank and only turn over if i gave it gas then once i let go of the gas it would die right away. I took off the trottle body and cleaned it very well. After that it started and was rumbling a bit but eventually the rpms went up to normal and afyer about 5 minutes of driving it was fine. I drove that entire day and kept turning it on and off and it would start back up like new. That was thursday. This weekend i went out of town and left my car when i got back and tryed to start it it cranks but not as strong to give it gas and force the start. Im not a mechanic by any means but have fixed this car a lot before i absolutly love my saturn and want to get it going agian very badly can someone please help me out sincerly -that guy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to williamhaynes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help williamhaynes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
williamhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
williamhaynes

Default Re: 96 sl2 starting problems please help me

Also it cranks but wont turn over it seems like it wants to and theres slight rumbles but not much

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help williamhaynes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Pull spark plugs and check for flooding, excess fuel. If the engine still has the original faulty round nosed plastic coolant sensor, replace it immediately with a flat nosed brass one to prevent problems. Be sure to look into this first.

After checking the coolant sensor, check for spark. A faulty coolant sensor can flood an engine after one or two failed starts and short high voltage to ground, preventing spark from igniting a flooded engine.

What condition are the spark plugs? Gaps larger than 0.040 strain the ignition system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
williamhaynes

I replaced them about 6 months ago along with wires and i did gap them to recomended gap but have not tryed to replacr the engine temp coolant sensor did u mean that would be the firat thing to try?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, remove the coolant sensor and examine it. The round nosed one is the original and fails, resulting in many problems. A simple search of past threads will give you all the info you need.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote