SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
kevo420
kevo420 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default timing belt help needed URGENT!

I've replaced my timing belt once before and started this evening again because my water pump went.
After I was putting the new timing belt on I noticed that the rear cam timing mark was advanced about an 1/8th of a turn.

Admittidetly I just looked at the front cam timing mark after I put the crank mark at 12 o'clock And didnt notice the rear.

I tried rolling the cam back by hand but for one its hard to move and when I DO get it to move the cam jumps backward so the timing mark is then an 1/8th retarded. I can not get it to rest with the the mark on cam aligned on the head... How effed am I?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevo420's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevo420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: timing belt help needed URGENT!

The rear cam loves to roll. Move it to line up as close as you can so that it stays in place. There is a sweet spot that it will stay on place at.

With the cam on the proper spot (or nearly so) you can install the belt giving the cam a tweak as needed. If the cam continues to roll then hold it with a wrench as you get the belt on.

With everything in place and the tensioner out rotate the crank twice and verify that the timing marks are all where they should be.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

http://thomasb.worldwideshoppersclub.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:48 PM   #3
Ken L.
Ken L. has a spectacular aura aboutKen L. has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line

I just replaced my belt last month for the first time. When it came time to put the new belt on, the rear cam pulley moved on me as well. The rear pulley suddenly rolled clockwise about 45 degrees when I touched it. I had to use a wrench on the pulley bolt to get it back in place while I put the new belt on. It seems that some springs are totally compressed when the pulley is at TDC. Fortunately I marked all of the pulleys and old belt with positioning marks then transferred the marks onto the new belt. I would have been screwed without the marks.

My advise is to use a closed end wrench on the cam pulley bolt to hold the cam in place while you put the belt on. Make sure the cam is back at the original TDC position when you took the old belt off. Don't fully rotate the cam around again to line up the timing marks. Only rotate the cam enough to get it back to TDC. Put the belt on the crank and front cam pulleys first, then the rear cam.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ken L.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ken L. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ken L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

How come you guys aren't installing some Cam locks?

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...2&d=1282931214

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post

Because the 3.5LT Honda engine doe not have double sprockets on each head like the 3.0LT in your linked picture. Single sprocket per cylinder head so there is nothing to lock anything to.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

http://thomasb.worldwideshoppersclub.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:

wow, sweet idea!!!!!!!! I will have to remember this one if I ever have to do my Camry again or if I get another vehicle with a TB (though I certainly don't relish that job). Just did my Camry 4 banger a couple months ago. Worst part space is only adequate for "little" hands

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Because the 3.5LT Honda engine doe not have double sprockets on each head like the 3.0LT in your linked picture. Single sprocket per cylinder head so there is nothing to lock anything to.
Good reason! My mistake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

Thanks everyone...

When you're working outside in the cold and stuff like this happens sometimes you don't realize the most obvious answer.

I don't know why i didn't think about turning it with a wrench until i came inside and warmed up while typing my post.

I don't know if anyone else has ordered the Gates timing kit from rockauto recently but the belt that comes with it is VERY tight. I bought this same kit a couple years ago when I did this once before and although the belt was snug going on I still got everything together without issue.

This time however i needed a second set of hands to work the belt around while I held the cam and made sure there was no slack anywhere, and even after all that getting the belt on the crank at the end was very hard.

Anyways, its done and running now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kevo420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

A day after everything was buttoned up I ran into a problem, the car threw a P0341 code (Cam position sensor) had a moderately rough idle and could be a b*tch to start. No matter how hard i searched i couldn't find anyone that ran into the same problem with the 3.5L J35 in a Vue or a honda.

My gut told me what the problem was but i would have much rather found some info on the net before ripping everything apart.

Long story short, the front cam jumped and was retarded by one tooth. The replacement belt was so tight to get on but there must have been some slack somewhere...The FSM troubleshooting flow chart mentioned nothing about timing.

So if you get a P0341 code, use the inspection covers to check your cam timing marks.

So far it seems no damage was done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
FINCH
FINCH is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Is there a way for someone who does it to mark the location with a scratch or a Sharpie to help realign it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FINCH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FINCH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FINCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINCH View Post
Is there a way for someone who does it to mark the location with a scratch or a Sharpie to help realign it?
Here's a video (about the 10:30 mark) . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIGYg051tBw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
FINCH
FINCH is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Here's a video (about the 10:30 mark) . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIGYg051tBw

I guess i'm not half as think as people dumb i am.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FINCH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FINCH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FINCH is offline   Reply With Quote