SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
Swipe555
Swipe555 has a spectacular aura aboutSwipe555 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Just a suggestion

I own a few cars and I'm a member of the popular forums for those cars; and all of those forums have a very handy sub category for each vehicle that this forum does not seem to have.

Each of those forums have a sub-category, for each vehicle, usually labled something like "knowledge/technical information"

This is where only reputable members and/or members who have proven their knowledge can write important and how-to information about the specific vehicles. Having such a subcategory makes it much easier to eliminate redundancy and makes it much easier to find specific information about a vehicle. There are also cases where moderators see information/how-to posted to a different subcategory that is so valuable or popular that they move it to this subcategory.

Thank you for your time reading this.

BAM!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swipe555's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swipe555 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swipe555 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Thumbs Up Re: Just a suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipe555 View Post
I own a few cars and I'm a member of the popular forums for those cars; and all of those forums have a very handy sub category for each vehicle that this forum does not seem to have.

Each of those forums have a sub-category, for each vehicle, usually labled something like "knowledge/technical information"

This is where only reputable members and/or members who have proven their knowledge can write important and how-to information about the specific vehicles. Having such a subcategory makes it much easier to eliminate redundancy and makes it much easier to find specific information about a vehicle. There are also cases where moderators see information/how-to posted to a different subcategory that is so valuable or popular that they move it to this subcategory.

Thank you for your time reading this.
Good idea!! Right now there is a How-to Forum where I move articles like you are describing. It started out small, but now that its grown I should probably look into creating model-specific How-to Forums so that folks don't have to read through lots of threads that don't pertain to their vehicles.

Thank you for the feedback!

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #3
Swipe555
Swipe555 has a spectacular aura aboutSwipe555 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Just a suggestion

My guess is that the toughest part would be controlling the threads posted to such subcategories. Minimizing redundancy and ensuring the knowledge posted is correct would probably take constant monitoring. If you go to crownvic.net, you'll see that their "knowledge base" subcategories don't have many threads; which means they probably rely on a moderator to decide what gets in and what doesn't.

BAM!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swipe555's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swipe555 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swipe555 is offline   Reply With Quote