SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
jessicag89
jessicag89 has a spectacular aura aboutjessicag89 has a spectacular aura about

Dizzy Dashboard lights problem

I have a 2003 Saturn L300 V6.
Now I know there's an issue with the lights dimming low and dimming high whenever they want. Sometimes I think that's because the roller to pick your brightness is very touchy.
But last night as I was driving to the gas station they actually blinked off for about 1 second. It was literally off and then on. And then they'd be okay and then it'd dim low and I messed with the roller and it was fine.
I didn't notice a difference in the car's drive. This didnt happen to the headlights but only the lights for the dashboard. Is there a fuse to look at?

What could this be and how can I fix this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jessicag89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jessicag89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jessicag89 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
TurboZutek
TurboZutek is a jewel in the roughTurboZutek is a jewel in the roughTurboZutek is a jewel in the roughTurboZutek is a jewel in the rough

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Dashboard lights problem

Unplug the rheostat (the roller) and the lights should come on full brightness and never flicker. If they do still flicker or behave oddly you either have a loose wire on the lighting harness OR the BCM is about to die a tragic death.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TurboZutek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TurboZutek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TurboZutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The 'roller' dimmer control is known to cause problems with flickering panel lighting. I have it as well as many here. I dealt with it several times and finally shimmed the loose thumbwheel to help it some. These dimmers are low voltage devices that tells the bcm to dim or brighten and the efficient design to eliminate the older rheostat controlling 12v for smaller controls and electronics is unfortunately created a negative feature, the flickering that seems to give the impression of a flimsy dimmer control wheel. If disconnecting the dimmer allows the lighting to stay on full brightness then you have an alternative to repairing.

While a little (or a lot) distracting, depending on night lighting of panels shouldn't affect your view outside with references to use for relative speed; cars, roadway, guard rails, trees, etc. Visual references are your best guide if the gauge lights go dead as long as headlights light the way. The separation of headlight and panel lighting is a safety design; lose one without affecting the other.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicag89 View Post
I have a 2003 Saturn L300 V6.
Now I know there's an issue with the lights dimming low and dimming high whenever they want. Sometimes I think that's because the roller to pick your brightness is very touchy.
But last night as I was driving to the gas station they actually blinked off for about 1 second. It was literally off and then on. And then they'd be okay and then it'd dim low and I messed with the roller and it was fine.
I didn't notice a difference in the car's drive. This didnt happen to the headlights but only the lights for the dashboard. Is there a fuse to look at?

What could this be and how can I fix this?
I been having this similar problem as well but I am going to order a new dimmer switch and replace the old one as I figured the problem was related to the switch either from being over used or being a old part that was reaching end of life usage. I figure it was the dimmer cause I replaced it with a used one that allowed me to dimm the console lights but the old one was straight bright no control and that was a not a good thing but the used one works currently til I order a new dimmer switch. My dimmer has both truck and console dimmer together and it will cost about 81$ online or 123$ from dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:01 AM   #5
cnovalles73
cnovalles73 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I've got a 2001 L200 with black stock gauges and I want to swap out the gauge pod for an 02—03 with white gauges and replace bulbs with blue LEDs. Anyone else try anything like this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cnovalles73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cnovalles73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cnovalles73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnovalles73 View Post
I've got a 2001 L200 with black stock gauges and I want to swap out the gauge pod for an 02—03 with white gauges and replace bulbs with blue LEDs. Anyone else try anything like this?
I doubt those bulbs available unless they are 164,194 bulb type sockets those display are small unconventional bulbs that only GM makes and finding LED replacements will be hard to do. Your better off sticking with what you currently have the connector on the back of the white face gauges could be a different connector just so you couldn't do the swap your trying to do for the same reason what your trying to do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
jessicag89
jessicag89 has a spectacular aura aboutjessicag89 has a spectacular aura about

It hasn't completely turned off after the first time but it does just dim and brighten on it's own. I knew IT had to do with the dimmer roller. I should've added that I have a fog light hanging from the driver side due to an bumper incident with a snow bank so I assume that plays a part as well. I always have to stuff it back into the spot so it doesn't hang.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jessicag89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jessicag89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jessicag89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:29 PM   #8
cnovalles73

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
I doubt those bulbs available unless they are 164,194 bulb type sockets those display are small unconventional bulbs that only GM makes and finding LED replacements will be hard to do. Your better off sticking with what you currently have the connector on the back of the white face gauges could be a different connector just so you couldn't do the swap your trying to do for the same reason what your trying to do.
I did some research and the rear connector is the same on both so it will plug right up and at least one or two guys on this site have installed LEDs in the dash so.....guess I'll be the first with this setup!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cnovalles73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnovalles73 View Post
I did some research and the rear connector is the same on both so it will plug right up and at least one or two guys on this site have installed LEDs in the dash so.....guess I'll be the first with this setup!
Tell us the site and part numbers so other and me can go and see what setups they have and if it works the rest might do the change as well. But remember to discharge the AIR BAG otherwise you might have a nasty wakeup call. Always remove the battery negative when doing this kinda work especially around anything electrical that can set off the AIR BAG. Those are one expensive bugger if they don't take a arm/leg to from you first *pun*.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2014, 02:38 AM   #10
cnovalles73

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
Tell us the site and part numbers so other and me can go and see what setups they have and if it works the rest might do the change as well. But remember to discharge the AIR BAG otherwise you might have a nasty wakeup call. Always remove the battery negative when doing this kinda work especially around anything electrical that can set off the AIR BAG. Those are one expensive bugger if they don't take a arm/leg to from you first *pun*.
Superbrightleds.com and its part number B8—HP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!