SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #41
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: 1998 SL2 Manual Stuck in Neutral

Your suggestion has no logical bearing on the inability to select any gear with the engine OFF and the car not moving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #42
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Is it fairly easy to disassemble the shift cover to see why that one lever doesn't move as smoothly as the other?
As it is now off the top of the transmission the thing to do is manipulate the external selector levers on the control tower and verify that they will properly move and allow the actual gear select finger to position to the 1-2, or 3-4, or 5-R position. Then each of the 3 selector bars in the actual transmission should be verified to move into 1-2, or 3-4, or 5-R by hand one at a time with the other 2 in the neutral position. There are not many internal transmission failures that will lock all shift forks into neutral position simultaneously but the control tower is a possibility. Actually manipulating the control tower and transmission while separated should isolate the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #43
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
As it is now off the top of the transmission the thing to do is manipulate the external selector levers on the control tower and verify that they will properly move and allow the actual gear select finger to position to the 1-2, or 3-4, or 5-R position. Then each of the 3 selector bars in the actual transmission should be verified to move into 1-2, or 3-4, or 5-R by hand one at a time with the other 2 in the neutral position. There are not many internal transmission failures that will lock all shift forks into neutral position simultaneously but the control tower is a possibility. Actually manipulating the control tower and transmission while separated should isolate the problem.

I'm sure everyone is glad that you finally caught up to what has already been suggested, all while questioning everyone else along the way. You often distract yourself thinking nobody else knows what is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhawk View Post
This may or may not be relevant to this discussion, but having had my transaxle apart recently, I thought I'd mention it just in case you're not aware of how this is supposed to function.

You can see the three forks when looking into the transmission in this photo:

Each fork controls pairs of gears: 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th and 5th/Reverse. The forks are all in the neutral position in the above photo as can be seen by the fact that the slots all line up.

The two levers on the top of that housing operate such that one of them (the one that pivots on a vertical axis) moves the shifter to the appropriate fork and the other lever (the one that pivots on a horizontal axis) shifts the fork between its three positions: the "up" gear, neutral or the "down" gear. The lever that moves the shifter to the appropriate fork is spring loaded so that it always returns to the middle (the 3rd/4th fork).

With the cover off, you should be able to take a BF screwdriver and a small hammer and tap one of the forks into a gear. You could work your way through all the gears to determine if there is any problem with the transmission itself.

If all the cables were attached correctly, and the transmission itself is OK, then perhaps the mechanism that moves the individual fork (that's actuated by the lever that pivots on the horizontal axis) is messed up.

Make sure that if you manually shift any of the forks that you return them all to the neutral position as seen in the above photo when you're done.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Has anything besides the shifter mechanism been checked?

Clutch hydraulic test here courtesy of Wolfman

Broken half shaft - in gear speedo moves but car doesn't

If both of the above check out, manual selection at the tranny end and reverse troubleshooting is the easiest approach IMO.

I do understand that you don't see the logic to my other comments. It's called answering a question posed by the OP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #44
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, it should all move very smoothly through its full range. If the transmission will select all gears directly then your control tower is defective and this is not an unusual failure either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliciacat View Post
OK here are some pictures of the transmission with the housing removed.
Looks like it is in neutral but I also see an ominous crack on one of the selector forks.
Fully confess ignorance here, transmissions are waaaaay beyond anything I've done.

Attachment 37102

Attachment 37103

As for the housing itself both levers will move however the bottom one does not move very smoothly it really seems to stick before clicking into some of the positions. In contrast the upper lever moves quite smoothly. I am assuming the bottom lever should have similarly smooth action before and after snapping into position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #45
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
.... I do understand that you don't see the logic to my other comments. It's called answering a question posed by the OP.
There is no logic to your hair-brained suggestion to check clutch travel and axles.

You can continue to make all the S.A. comments you would like but you just do not comprehend this problem and its possible causes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #46
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

BTW, I know you two guys have some kind of battle going on here, which is unfortunate, since you both have had some great things to add to the collective knowledgebase of our forum. I don't claim to know what the origin of this battle is, but I fear that you may scare away the OP who was looking to us all for sage advice about her (I'm guessing it's a her by the avatar, but maybe it's a him, one can't tell) transaxle problem. Any chance you could continue your argument offline so we don't scare newbies away? (said with hat in hand with the utmost respect and love for all parties)

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 179,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #47
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I am done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:22 PM   #48
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhawk View Post
BTW, I know you two guys have some kind of battle going on here, which is unfortunate, since you both have had some great things to add to the collective knowledgebase of our forum. I don't claim to know what the origin of this battle is, but I fear that you may scare away the OP who was looking to us all for sage advice about her (I'm guessing it's a her by the avatar, but maybe it's a him, one can't tell) transaxle problem. Any chance you could continue your argument offline so we don't scare newbies away? (said with hat in hand with the utmost respect and love for all parties)
I fully agree that the disagreements probably scare away both new and current members. But I'm simply tired of the childish insults and caustic crap with no basis. I've tried in the past to suggest staying at an adult level, but to no avail. It seems when pressed for facts, the insults continue. I'm not going to run from someone trolling for an argument, especially after attempting to deal with it as adults. I have no "battle" with anyone here, I'm here to try to learn more myself and help with what I know.

This thread is a prime example. I addressed a couple of points that were of obvious concern to the OP that nobody else addressed by suggesting the wire test and looking for a cracked half shaft. Not that I suspected either as a cause, but to remove doubt that the OP had. Beyond that my only input was to work from the tranny end to the shifter end regarding the shifting issue, since the tower was already off, and due to the fact that if the tranny is hosed, no shifter is going to fix that.

I appreciate your comments CityHawk, and your photos and advice on this thread will likely lead to the end result of the selector tower having excess play IMO. Hopefully the OP will see through all the crappola and find the end problem wherever it is.

But as for biting my tongue, sorry, that's not going to happen. If it was just me that sparked the caustic attacks I'd probably just not post. But it appears to be a regular thing with a number of different people and is really nothing more than an attempt at a forum bully attitude, being caustic, critical, childish, and rude to other forum members providing valid input. When it's one person that can't control themselves in an adult manner on a regular basis, it's time to call a spade a spade.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #49
feliciacat
feliciacat is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1998 SL2

The shifter forks on the transmission itself will move so based on everyone's input I will try replacing the shift control housing.

While both arms on the housing do move the action on it is very rough.
Shifting had been become more difficult in random positions before the total failure so I see a parallel there with the housing movement.

Hopefully this will be solve problem and there aren't any other transmission issues.

Thank you so much for all the help, I will keep you posted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to feliciacat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help feliciacat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
feliciacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #50
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, the control tower is shot. From your initial description of roughness I suspected it had failed. You have verified that by shifting directly at the transmission. When selecting a replacement look at the pin that rides in the collar that moves with the upper arm, check for side wear on the pin and look for min wear. A tower off of a late model low mileage SOHC should be the best. Those levers should be free of grease and dirt so clean it all up before reinstall. You can make a new gasket out of a grocery bag. After cutting out lightly coat both sides with RTV and allow to cure before install. You have to do one side at a time though. Light coat is a see-through coat. The lever that moves the collar in and out has a bright colored spring housing and there should be an o-ring seal on the junction between the movable and non moving part. Check for o-ring as it is not user replaceable and eventually dirt binds it all up.

If you can not find a good replacement I might have one on one of the dead transmissions I have here. Let me know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #51
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
The shifter forks on the transmission itself will move so based on everyone's input I will try replacing the shift control housing.

Shifting had been become more difficult in random positions before the total failure so I see a parallel there with the housing movement.

Hopefully this will be solve problem and there aren't any other transmission issues.

Just as a reminder, as this price is hard to beat. If you don't want it get it anyway, and ship it to me as a spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydriver View Post
If you do need a new shifter control tower housing (the thing bolted on with four bolts onto the top of the transmission), I have an extra I'll send to you for just the cost of shipping.

Figure out what's wrong, and if it is that, just PM me. I can have it shipped quickly.

If it takes to a while to get the part (regardless of source) DIYguy did a write up on how to tighten up the original unit. I think he was just getting rid of sloppy shifting, but some of what he learned might get yours to reliably working until you can find something better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #52
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:

This is excellent news. I love inexpensive and easy solutions.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 179,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote