SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #21
feliciacat
feliciacat is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1998 SL2
Default Re: 1998 SL2 Manual Stuck in Neutral

Thank you I really appreciate it, I will PM you if I need it.

Will have to get back to this tomorrow afternoon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to feliciacat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help feliciacat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
feliciacat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #22
incamystic50
incamystic50 is on a distinguished road

If you disconnected both shifter cables form the mounts you may have them hooked up in the wrong place now. Its possible to do and you wont get in any gear. I learned the hard way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to incamystic50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help incamystic50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
incamystic50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #23
rocket321
rocket321 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliciacat View Post
Quick Question

Is there anything besides the four corner bolts holding the housing in place?

I disconnected the reverse light switch from the housing and unscrewed the four corner bolts.

However the bloody housing is really stuck fast and I wanted to check before applying more muscle to it. The battery tray had a hidden bolt so I am playing it a little cautious.

I replaced my housing back in November and had the same issue. After removing the 4 bolts mine wouldn't budge. I noticed some kind of rubbery substance around the housing where it meets the transmission. A little heat at one corner of the housing and I was able to start prying the little ******* off. I do not think it was a type of gasket maker because the paper gasket was still in place. Quite the surprise, since the part came off easily from the donor car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rocket321's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rocket321 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rocket321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #24
feliciacat

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1998 SL2

So I finally pried off the housing

Just having trouble determining if it is faulty.
It looks the same as the one pictured here, no obvious problems.
Blocked me linking to the other post
url is saturnfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1327603&postcount=5
and here are the pics I was comparing to mine.

152531.jpg

152539.jpg

Below are photos of mine. Any advice on how to test if the part is fubar?

photo-4.JPG

photo-3.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help feliciacat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #25
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Take a shot of the top of your trans showing the selectors. We will go from there. The only way to tell if the control is shot is to play with it as they always look just fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:08 AM   #26
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

This may or may not be relevant to this discussion, but having had my transaxle apart recently, I thought I'd mention it just in case you're not aware of how this is supposed to function.

You can see the three forks when looking into the transmission in this photo:

Each fork controls pairs of gears: 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th and 5th/Reverse. The forks are all in the neutral position in the above photo as can be seen by the fact that the slots all line up.

The two levers on the top of that housing operate such that one of them (the one that pivots on a vertical axis) moves the shifter to the appropriate fork and the other lever (the one that pivots on a horizontal axis) shifts the fork between its three positions: the "up" gear, neutral or the "down" gear. The lever that moves the shifter to the appropriate fork is spring loaded so that it always returns to the middle (the 3rd/4th fork).

With the cover off, you should be able to take a BF screwdriver and a small hammer and tap one of the forks into a gear. You could work your way through all the gears to determine if there is any problem with the transmission itself.

If all the cables were attached correctly, and the transmission itself is OK, then perhaps the mechanism that moves the individual fork (that's actuated by the lever that pivots on the horizontal axis) is messed up.

Make sure that if you manually shift any of the forks that you return them all to the neutral position as seen in the above photo when you're done.

Hope this helps.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 182,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

Last edited by cityhawk; 02-20-2014 at 03:16 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:10 AM   #27
feliciacat

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1998 SL2

OK here are some pictures of the transmission with the housing removed.
Looks like it is in neutral but I also see an ominous crack on one of the selector forks.
Fully confess ignorance here, transmissions are waaaaay beyond anything I've done.

photo-6.jpg

photo-8.jpg

As for the housing itself both levers will move however the bottom one does not move very smoothly it really seems to stick before clicking into some of the positions. In contrast the upper lever moves quite smoothly. I am assuming the bottom lever should have similarly smooth action before and after snapping into position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2014, 03:18 AM   #28
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliciacat View Post
OK here are some pictures of the transmission with the housing removed.
Looks like it is in neutral but I also see an ominous crack on one of the selector forks.
Fully confess ignorance here, transmissions are waaaaay beyond anything I've done.

Attachment 37102

Attachment 37103

As for the housing itself both levers will move however the bottom one does not move very smoothly it really seems to stick before clicking into some of the positions. In contrast the upper lever moves quite smoothly. I am assuming the bottom lever should have similarly smooth action before and after snapping into position.
Can you move any of those shifter forks manually?

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:35 AM   #29
feliciacat

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhawk View Post
With the cover off, you should be able to take a BF screwdriver and a small hammer and tap one of the forks into a gear. You could work your way through all the gears to determine if there is any problem with the transmission itself.
Thank you so much this is very helpful. I was just going to ask if I could manually move the forks with a screwdriver. One has a crack which is not a good sign.

QUOTE=cityhawk;2045248] The two levers on the top of that housing operate such that one of them (the one that pivots on a vertical axis) moves the shifter to the appropriate fork and the other lever (the one that pivots on a horizontal axis) shifts the fork between its three positions: the "up" gear, neutral or the "down" gear. The lever that moves the shifter to the appropriate fork is spring loaded so that it always returns to the middle (the 3rd/4th fork).[/QUOTE]

Have to play with the housing again too, this gives me a much clearer picture of the action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2014, 04:07 AM   #30
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Glad to help. You're burning the midnight oil, eh? I work a lot of nights so many of my postings are on the "other" side of the clock.

That 3rd/4th fork is weird. Not sure if that's a crack or just a defect in the metal.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2014, 04:14 AM   #31
feliciacat

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1998 SL2

Quote:
Can you move any of those shifter forks manually?
Haven't tried that yet, will give it a shot tomorrow, fingers crossed lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2014, 04:28 AM   #32
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Glad to help. You're burning the midnight oil, eh? I work a lot of nights so many of my postings are on the "other" side of the clock.
Me too! *Checks clock to see 2:26 AM*

Sounds like your shifter control tower housing is mostly good, but make sure to check it thoroughly too.

2014 Cannondale 27spd 29": 30 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally" 5spd : 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve" 5spd : 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:28 AM   #33
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

ALso, this may be obvious, but make sure you return each fork to the neutral position before shifting another fork into gear. Having two forks in gear at the same time locks the transaxle.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2014, 04:30 AM   #34
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
ALso, this may be obvious, but make sure you return each fork to the neutral position before shifting another fork into gear. Having two forks in gear at the same time locks the transaxle.
^^^^Yeah, I did that and really scared myself.

One of my forks has a ridge from the manufacturing process that is completely harmless. Is that a crack for sure? Or could it be a slight ridge tricking the eye?

I'm not saying you have bad vision, or are easily fooled. It's just that I thought mine was cracked at first, until I looked closer.

2014 Cannondale 27spd 29": 30 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally" 5spd : 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve" 5spd : 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #35
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Has anything besides the shifter mechanism been checked?

Clutch hydraulic test here courtesy of Wolfman

Broken half shaft - in gear speedo moves but car doesn't

If both of the above check out, manual selection at the tranny end and reverse troubleshooting is the easiest approach IMO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #36
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The below is from Post #1, all the way up at the top of page #1.
I have been through the forums on this and I am still at a loss.

Quote:
1. Will not shift out of neutral
2. Initially had a limp shifter and a broken bushing. (I dare you to say that without a smirk lol)
3. Replaced bushing, shifter no longer limp but car still stuck in neutral
4. Checked shifter cables, they were connected no fraying
5. Bottom cable moves lever on transmission control lever tower OK
6. Top lever on transmission control lever tower seemed jammed so I disconnected the cable and the cable moves freely when disconnected but the lever only moves a little bit.

I am wondering if this is likely the transmission control lever tower on the transmission or if it could be something else like the clutch. How can I test this?
Item #6 in the quoted info from post #1 indicates that chasing ghosts in the hydraulics and/or axles is not going to fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #37
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Is it fairly easy to disassemble the shift cover to see why that one lever doesn't move as smoothly as the other?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #38
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The below is from Post #1, all the way up at the top of page #1.
I have been through the forums on this and I am still at a loss.

Item #6 in the quoted info from post #1 indicates that chasing ghosts in the hydraulics and/or axles is not going to fix it.

None of which answers either question posed to the OP, or addresses my advice on troubleshooting from the tranny end. If the tranny is hosed, the best shift tower and cables in the world aren't going to make it want to shift.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #39
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The control tower will not select any gear. The clutch hydraulics or axle will not cause this problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #40
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The control tower will not select any gear. The clutch hydraulics or axle will not cause this problem.
No kidding huh? Should I bold that I didn't ask you for your opinion, or will you comprehend that all on your own?

The OP asked, I suggested. It's a simple thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!