SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 02-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Greyseal2u
Greyseal2u is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Default TPMS sensor 2008 Astra XE

I replaced my 4 tires with new Michelin Defenders 205/55/16 as per Saturn specs. After driving on the new tires for about 15 minutes, the TPMS light comes on. I checked the tire pressure and they were all between 34 - 38 psi. When I start the car, the light flashes for a minute the stays on. This occurs every time I start the car. The tire dealer said it was a battery issue in one of the sensors. Do they even have batteries in them? Most importantly what can be done to fix the problem? Or what do I need to look for to get my car back to tip top shape? 2008 Saturn Astra XE. 45,500 original miles. Any help resolving this matter would greatly be appreciated. Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greyseal2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greyseal2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greyseal2u is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
redeka
redeka is on a distinguished road

Default Re: TPMS sensor 2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyseal2u View Post
I replaced my 4 tires with new Michelin Defenders 205/55/16 as per Saturn specs. After driving on the new tires for about 15 minutes, the TPMS light comes on. I checked the tire pressure and they were all between 34 - 38 psi. When I start the car, the light flashes for a minute the stays on. This occurs every time I start the car. The tire dealer said it was a battery issue in one of the sensors. Do they even have batteries in them? Most importantly what can be done to fix the problem? Or what do I need to look for to get my car back to tip top shape? 2008 Saturn Astra XE. 45,500 original miles. Any help resolving this matter would greatly be appreciated. Thank you
It would seem strange that the TPMS would have "battery issues" the moment you had the tires switched, especially if it was working correctly before. The situation, at least to me, suggests that the techs did something incorrectly.

I am not sure how much you have driven with the new tires, but our sensors require us to drive for about 15 miles in order for them to re-adjust to the new tires. If after driving the proper distance the light hasn't turned off, then you have an issue with a sensor.

The batteries can and will die on the sensors. I haven't seen a TPMS directly from our vehicle yet (as I am a relatively new owner), but from past experience I can tell you that they usually engineer failure into the product by sealing the battery off and making in non-replaceable. This would require you to replace the sensor with the dead battery. Of course, if one has died the rest are most likely not too far behind so it may be wise to replace all of them in one go.

As I said before, it seems suspicous too me that the sensors would be working fine before you had your tires changed and then suddenly with the new tires they stop working. I would bring this up with your tire shop and hopefully they can do a free diagnostic for you. Basically, they will use a little hand held "reader" that will wirelessly check the sensors to see if one is dead/malfunctioning.

Once you discover which sensors need to be replaced, you will need to purchase new senors. The OEM part # is 13172567. I would recommend buying something aftermarket as you will save a handful of money. The tires then need to be taken off the rims with the bad sensors and the sensor is installed.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Don't pay more than a hundred bucks for a sensor. Ideally you should pay less than $50, but it seems as TPMS was installed on more and more vehicles supply and demand dictated quite a high price. Ebay is a good place to find cheap ones, but be sure to have a good surf around the net before you buy anything. The dealership's cost for this part is about $15.00 (according to alldata), which is quite aggravating to know considering they retail these at 100-200+...

Last edited by redeka; 02-06-2014 at 02:41 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redeka's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redeka reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
Greyseal2u

2008 Astra XE

Thank you for the information. So to replace the sensor the new tire has to come off the rim or did you mean the tire has to come off to access the seņor that needs to be replace? In answer to you comment, I drove the car five miles to my home from the tire shop. Then I drove about eight miles the next day when I was heading to the airport when the light started flashing for the first minute and then became a steady light. Now it flashes every time I start the car for a minute then stays on. Is it possible they knocked a wire loose when replacing the tires and this in turn cause the problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Greyseal2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

they most likely broke a sensor. it does happen fairly often if the person doesnt know what they are doing when taking the tire off of the rim. sensor is on valve stem. need new one. probably 50 bucks and programming.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
redeka
redeka is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you for the information. So to replace the sensor the new tire has to come off the rim or did you mean the tire has to come off to access the seņor that needs to be replace? In answer to you comment, I drove the car five miles to my home from the tire shop. Then I drove about eight miles the next day when I was heading to the airport when the light started flashing for the first minute and then became a steady light. Now it flashes every time I start the car for a minute then stays on. Is it possible they knocked a wire loose when replacing the tires and this in turn cause the problem?
To replace the sensor the new tire has to come off the rim. As you are probably aware, when the sensor flashes for a minute and then stays turned on, it means there is a problem with the system.

As far as a wire being knocked loose, the system is actually wireless. The poster above me mentioned that they probably broke a valve stem when changing the tire. If this is the case, any self respecting shop would fix what they broke.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redeka's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redeka reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
satlite440
Advanced Member
satlite440 is a jewel in the roughsatlite440 is a jewel in the roughsatlite440 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL2

Service Information

2008 Saturn Astra | Saturn Astra Owner Manual | | Document ID: 1827869
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tire Pressure Monitor System
The Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) uses radio and sensor technology to check tire pressure levels. The TPMS sensors monitor the air pressure in your vehicle's tires and transmit tire pressure readings to a receiver located in the vehicle.

Each tire, including the spare (if provided), should be checked monthly when cold and inflated to the inflation pressure recommended by the vehicle manufacturer on the vehicle placard or tire inflation pressure label. (If your vehicle has tires of a different size than the size indicated on the vehicle placard or tire inflation pressure label, you should determine the proper tire inflation pressure for those tires.)

As an added safety feature, your vehicle has been equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) that illuminates a low tire pressure telltale when one or more of your tires is significantly under-inflated.

Accordingly, when the low tire pressure telltale illuminates, you should stop and check your tires as soon as possible, and inflate them to the proper pressure. Driving on a significantly under-inflated tire causes the tire to overheat and can lead to tire failure. Under-inflation also reduces fuel efficiency and tire tread life, and may affect the vehicle's handling and stopping ability.

Please note that the TPMS is not a substitute for proper tire maintenance, and it is the driver's responsibility to maintain correct tire pressure, even if under-inflation has not reached the level to trigger illumination of the TPMS low tire pressure telltale.
yes there are batterys in each sensor,life expectancy is about 3-7 yrs depending on climate and temp varation.. here in seattle about 5-6 yrs is the norm,although we see more failures in colder weather... these run off small watch batteries that are permanantly built into the sensor and non servicable short of replacement.. do all 4 tires read a pressure or is one blank or outlandishly high or low??? if so that is the bad one.. you have nothing to loose by asking to see the mgr of the tire store and letting them know you had no issues before they change the tires.. if they releaned all 4 and all 4 were reading when you left it is probably a weak batt...hth
the info below is from your owners manual

Your vehicle has also been equipped with a TPMS malfunction indicator to indicate when the system is not operating properly. The TPMS malfunction indicator is combined with the low tire pressure telltale. When the system detects a malfunction, the telltale will flash for approximately one minute and then remain continuously illuminated. This sequence will continue upon subsequent vehicle start-ups as long as the malfunction exists.

When the malfunction indicator is illuminated, the system may not be able to detect or signal low tire pressure as intended. TPMS malfunctions may occur for a variety of reasons, including the installation of replacement or alternate tires or wheels on the vehicle that prevent the TPMS from functioning properly. Always check the TPMS malfunction telltale after replacing one or more tires or wheels on your vehicle to ensure that the replacement or alternate tires and wheels allow the TPMS to continue to function properly.

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I found used sensors on www.car-part.com when I got a spare set of wheels and tires for summer and put winter tires on my OEM wheels. They were about $25 each. They were shipped without valve stems, so Discount Tire charged me a small fee to rebuild them when I had my tires mounted, but I think it was under $5 per sensor.

Choose the Astra, and they are often listed either under sensor-body or sensor-chassis. Look for the OEM part number 13172567 to verify you are getting the right sensors.

Drives: Black Astra XR5 manual
Past Cars: 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S
Wife's Car: 12 Enclave
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/emg77/astra - 29.0 MPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
Greyseal2u

2008 Astra XE
Checkered Flag Re: TPMS sensor 2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Ok so the tire dealer installed four new sensors. They are O.E. Replacement sensors for the 2008 / 2009 model Saturn Astra. They are Titan TMPS TT-SC0153 sensors. All the sensors are working, but the car doesn't recognize them. Since the tire dealer could not get them to work I brought them to a GM dealer. The dealer said the are not GM parts so there is nothing they can do to have the computer identify them. Actually I got the impression they just didn't want to deal with me since I didn't go to them for the $600 to $800 quote they gave me earlier in the week. So how do I go about teaching the computer to recognize the new sensors? As always thank you for your help and support concerning this matter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What does your owner's manual have for resetting/calibrating sensors when they're replaced or tires rotated? There may DIC procedures. If not, try this; http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_monitors.htm

Some GM dealers are unscrupulous, period. Here's GM info about tpms and how they perform procedures; http://www.gmdesolutions.com/equipme...m_bulletin.PDF

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote