SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
kris
kris is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default cruise control not working

My actual problem is in the second paragraph, but a bit of history on the car might help. So let me give you the run down. I bought my 95 sl2 manual from my uncle back in August with 172k. While he owned it It wasn't necessarily abused, but the lazy ass didn't do anything about the oil leak and eventually learned just how much damage it could cause when he punched a hole through his oil pan. Several months later my cousin got it up on its feet again but all of the work was done on my uncle's budget. My cousin made sure the interior of the engine had quality work and parts put into it, but by the end of the rebuild my cousins time and patience was thinning, as well as my uncle's money. This has resulted in a host of problems for me such as scraping out rtv and replacing my valve cover gasket with an actual gasket. After a few fixes like that, I'm turning my attention towards the cruise control.

I can turn my cc on and the light on the steering wheel will light up but I can't set my speed at all, that light is the only indication of any functionality. My knowledge on cc systems is limited, but I suspect a vacuum line or two were left disconnected during the engine rebuild, but I've no idea where to look or what should be connected to what.

95 sl2 5-speed manual dohc 175k mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kris's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: cruise control not working

The cruise is entirely electronic, no vacuum anywhere. There are 2 switches that will prevent set, brake and clutch if manual. Is this a manual or auto car?

I found it, put the year and model in your profile and then the trans etc. into location.

I will get you a drawing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is most likely not a fuse in the inside panel but check just for the fun of it. Now look on the right side of the column for the module and it it connected to the gas pedal? Be gentle as replacement parts are non-existent new. Is the module electrical connector in place? What you need to find out is there 12v to the cruise enable which is from the brake switch through the clutch switch to the module, brown wire. You can disconnect the module electrical connector and GENTLY probe for 12v to ground on pin #7 BROWN wire with the key in run. All from the cruise fuse.

Drawing.... http://i.imgur.com/Itk4p.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #4
kris
kris is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

That went a little over my head. As I've already stated and is in my signature, it's a 95 sl2 manual transmission, and I have next to no understanding of cruise control systems. I am quite capable of working on cars, but would like an idea of what the problem might be, where it is located, and anything I should be cautious of while working on it.

95 sl2 5-speed manual dohc 175k mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kris's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:46 AM   #5
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It is most likely not a fuse in the inside panel but check just for the fun of it. Now look on the right side of the column for the module and it it connected to the gas pedal? Be gentle as replacement parts are non-existent new. Is the module electrical connector in place? What you need to find out is there 12v to the cruise enable which is from the brake switch through the clutch switch to the module, brown wire. You can disconnect the module electrical connector and GENTLY probe for 12v to ground on pin #7 BROWN wire with the key in run. All from the cruise fuse.

Drawing.... http://i.imgur.com/Itk4p.jpg

If the fuse is good then there should be 12v at the pin 7, brown wire at the module connector when the ignition key is in RUN engine off. Is there 12v at pin 7?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Now look on the right side of the column for the module and it it connected to the gas pedal? Be gentle...
For this part, you will need to slide your driver seat as far back as it will go, and put your head where you can see the top of the gas pedal arm. It's not comfy or for the claustrophobic... I ended up on my back with my head near the pedals and half my body outside the car

These videos are for a later generation car but give you an idea of how the cruise module is connected to the gas pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEUgba5xxnA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-mpGDjmMLk

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris View Post
I suspect a vacuum line or two were left disconnected during the engine rebuild, but I've no idea where to look or what should be connected to what.
Did the cruise control work before the rebuild?

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
dbetz
dbetz will become famous soon enoughdbetz will become famous soon enough

1999 SW2
2000 SL

Is it possible the brake switch needs adjusting? Or maybe partly faulty?

My '99 had a brake switch that needed adjusting. The brakes would go out when the pedal was released, but the second switch related to the CC still registered to the computer that the brakes were applied. Sometimes the CC would work, sometimes a bump in the road would deactivate it, sometimes it wouldn't work at all.

Adjusting it to fit against the brake pedal better made a world of difference and was fairly easy. Mine is Gen-2, and this is Gen-1, but I can't imagine it is too much more difficult.

Thanks! David

1999 SW2 Auto 150k miles; Dark Plum Metallic
2000 SL 5-Speed 214k miles; Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbetz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbetz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Adjusting will not fix failed if any of the 3 major components have actually failed and the OP has 2 switches in series as well as the module. The usual troubleshooting technique is to go to the middle of the system and split the failure location down if possible, checking for the 12v enable is not a difficult task as the connector is easy to access and no jumpering etc is required to make up the circuit. No comments regarding no stop lights tends to eliminate brake switch adjustment as officer friendly looks at that for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!