SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
Minnesotakid1
Minnesotakid1 is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 Saturn SL1 Transmission problems

Hi, I have a 2001 Saturn sl1 with the L4 1.9L engine, has only 96000 miles on it and has been a good car. The other day when it was real cold I went out and started it, and let it warm up for about 10-15 min, when I tried to shift it in to Reverse there was nothing, I had forward gears but no reverse. I let it roll down the driveway and I could use forward gears but could no faster than about 30. There were no lights or warning messages on the dash. So I put it in garage and tried it again about 6 hours later and it was fine I had reverse, and could run as normal. So I ran it a few days and it seemed better. Then one morning I come out and again no reverse, so I took it to local shop. They said it had codes P0731, P0732, and P0733 and 1599. The latter they weren't too concerned about. They cleared the codes and the car ran fine for them without issue, they put about 100 miles on it and no problems. They tested the electrical and it was fine, they tested the pressure and it was fine, no leaks, etc everything to spec. They tested the battery and it was at 14.4 so they said that not thee issue. So they let it sit over night and again no reverse and they get the same codes. They think it is the Valve body needs to be replaced. Is that the fix, or could it be the PCM is losing the codes over night and then the engine is confused when we start it up and throws the codes? Anything else it could be with these symptoms? IT has a automatic transmission and fluid looks good. Just want to make sure this is the correct fix to go with. Thanks

Last edited by Minnesotakid1; 01-30-2014 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: add more info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Minnesotakid1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Minnesotakid1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Minnesotakid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
2.2ecotec
2.2ecotec is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2001 Saturn SL1 Transmission problems

although this is not an L series you have. we will try to help you. How cold is it where you live and is the car garage kept or outside

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2.2ecotec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2.2ecotec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2.2ecotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
s3nfo
s3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura abouts3nfo has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: 2001 Saturn SL1 Transmission problems

You have an S series car, there's like 3 guys here in the L series forum that answer S series questions. Repost your question in the S series tech forum and you'll get much more help.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote