SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #21
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2
Default Re: Questions about Partial Rebuild

I do really like the idea of the bypass filter. I was just wondering if I could run a line to the timing chain cover until the bypass could be done, but I'll just wait on both. I will be doing the bypass filter eventually though.

2014 Cannondale 27spd 29": 30 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally" 5spd : 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve" 5spd : 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #22
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1

subscribed....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hunt4steve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hunt4steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #23
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt4steve View Post
subscribed....

Thanks! That means a lot coming from you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #24
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Just a quick update:

I'm also replacing the intake and exhaust gaskets, because I'd rather do those out of the car rather than in.

Just ordered parts last night. Spark plug wires and trans output seals have already shipped! So excited!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #25
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydriver View Post
Just a quick update:

I'm also replacing the intake and exhaust gaskets, because I'd rather do those out of the car rather than in.
This is a good idea.

Quote:
Just ordered parts last night. Spark plug wires and trans output seals have already shipped! So excited!
Are you talking about the axle shaft seals? Or the tranny input shaft seal (aka: Quil seal).

Just another thought on your project.... Is this the original clutch? Most folks would strongly suggest replacing the clutch/flywheel while you have it apart. $50 for a new flywheel at AAP, and $125 for a Luk clutch at Pep Boys or ebay. We would all sure hate to see you pull the tranny back out in 6 months. Remember that rebuilt motor will probably make a little more power than the old tired one..

This may have been covered, but you can use either intake or exhaust studs to replace the two starter bolts. This is well worth the effort if you ever have to R&R the starter motor.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #26
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
......................Just another thought on your project.... Is this the original clutch? Most folks would strongly suggest replacing the clutch/flywheel while you have it apart. $50 for a new flywheel at AAP, and $125 for a Luk clutch at Pep Boys or ebay. We would all sure hate to see you pull the tranny back out in 6 months. Remember that rebuilt motor will probably make a little more power than the old tired one..

This may have been covered, but you can use either intake or exhaust studs to replace the two starter bolts. This is well worth the effort if you ever have to R&R the starter motor.

X2 yup, great advice.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #27
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

You mentioned turbos and such so I assume this won't be driven too gently?

You may want to start out right now with a beefier clutch - stock will slip with very little modification to the car (obviously you will need to upgrade again with a turbo). If I had to do it over again (and I'm sure that day is coming), I'd go with this for a 100% stock car, and this for light mods (cams and such). The LuK kits hold up very well, but consider that 99% of SaturnFans use their cars as cheap efficient econoboxes and not race cars. The downsides are a different feel to the clutch and more load on the thrust bearing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:44 PM   #28
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I am quite happy with my stage 2 clutch, does not slip and does not grab either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:52 AM   #29
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

I'm on the fence about the clutch, mainly because of funding. I'll probably end up shelling out the bucks.

I've driven an SL2 with a 3rd-gen clutch, and hated the feel. Felt like the pedal hardly came off the floor. Is this going to feel like that?

What brand of clutch hydraulics is recommended? The metal shaft popped out of the slave cylinder, but I pushed it back in so as to not lose it. I'm assuming that means replacement?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2014, 02:57 AM   #30
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

What about this one? Any opinions?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130915019964...84.m1436.l2649

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:27 AM   #31
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

A stage 3 is going to be a bit harsh and a potential PITA in traffic. IIRC I bought this kit on a best offer of 200: http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-STAGE-2-C...item257f10ee4e These come with some install and break-in instructions that must be followed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #32
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
The metal shaft popped out of the slave cylinder, but I pushed it back in so as to not lose it. I'm assuming that means replacement?
Given how simple it is to change later, I'd leave it since it will probably work just fine. I don't remember how, but I got mine to swallow several bubbles and still managed to save it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:57 AM   #33
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The rod falls out as nothing is holding it in. Tie up the clutch pedal now or you will have problems later. The slave piston is held in the cylinder with a wire ring and if the piston comes out then you have problems. If the valve in the master cylinder is not open you can end up sucking air into the system as the ambient temp increases and decreases. This is also why you always keep the slave below the level of the master cylinder and where most people pop this up is when the first take the slave out of the bell housing as the piston will run to the end of the slave bore and suck air as it extends unless the slave is below the MC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #34
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
I'm on the fence about the clutch, mainly because of funding. I'll probably end up shelling out the bucks.
I totally understand. If you have more time than money, you can put the old clutch back in there. Just take it easy on the clutch and be prepared for the tranny-only R&R clutch replair.

Quote:
I've driven an SL2 with a 3rd-gen clutch, and hated the feel. Felt like the pedal hardly came off the floor. Is this going to feel like that?
Lots of variables to the clutch pedal level on these cars. Thrust bearing wear, flywheel thickness, clutch disk wear, type and age of pressure plate, fork/pivot ball geometry, volumetric dimensions of the haydraulic system. I would recommend staying away from the 3rd gen pressure plate. It had a different design to reduse pedal effort that gives it a wimpy feel. Go with a clutch spec for a 2nd gen car. (pre-2000)

Quote:
What brand of clutch hydraulics is recommended? The metal shaft popped out of the slave cylinder, but I pushed it back in so as to not lose it. I'm assuming that means replacement?
Just to shaft popping out should not be a problem. As long as the slave cyl piston has remained in place and sealed, you should be fine. Try to keep the slave cyl down below the level of the MC, and even prop or bungee up the clutch pedal to make sure nobody pushes the pedal down while the slave is unattached.

I would recommend you stick with a stock Luk clutch at this point. Your SOHC motor will probably max out at 100hp... and I have seen no documented cases of a stock clutch being toasted with a stock SOHC motor. If you really end up chasing boost with this motor, I would change out the clutch/flywheel when (and if) it becomes a problem. cost/effort to boost a S-series SOHC = 10x> clutch swap.

If you are sure (beyond any doubt) that you will be building a boosted SOHC motor, you might just leave the existing clutch in there, and start bank-rolling the funds for that project. Better to have a nice running boosted S-series, that needs a clutch.... Than run out of funds and have your car apart, undrivable, with a brand new stage-3 clutch sitting there doing nothing.

Be prepared for a lack of encouragement for that project here. I, personally like the SOHC motors and would love to see a project like this done well. There are just tons of folks posting here (over time) claiming to "turbo my SL1", and very few (if any) ever produce any real progress or results.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #35
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
I would recommend you stick with a stock Luk clutch at this point. Your SOHC motor will probably max out at 100hp... and I have seen no documented cases of a stock clutch being toasted with a stock SOHC motor. If you really end up chasing boost with this motor, I would change out the clutch/flywheel when (and if) it becomes a problem. cost/effort to boost a S-series SOHC = 10x> clutch swap.

If you are sure (beyond any doubt) that you will be building a boosted SOHC motor, you might just leave the existing clutch in there, and start bank-rolling the funds for that project. Better to have a nice running boosted S-series, that needs a clutch.... Than run out of funds and have your car apart, undrivable, with a brand new stage-3 clutch sitting there doing nothing.

Be prepared for a lack of encouragement for that project here. I, personally like the SOHC motors and would love to see a project like this done well. There are just tons of folks posting here (over time) claiming to "turbo my SL1", and very few (if any) ever produce any real progress or results.
IT's a DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #36
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Quote:
IT's a DOHC
I'd definitely get the upgraded clutch setup. For the small difference in price between the upgraded clutch and the stock clutch, you're getting peace of mind and a much better product.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #37
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
IT's a DOHC
oops! Somehow got off track. Carry-on!

I still stand by this advice (below), ....unless you win the lottery!

Quote:
If you are sure (beyond any doubt) that you will be building a boosted DOHC motor, you might just leave the existing clutch in there, and start bank-rolling the funds for that project. Better to have a nice running boosted S-series, that needs a clutch.... Than run out of funds and have your car apart, undrivable, with a brand new stage-3 clutch sitting there doing nothing.

Mark

Last edited by caveeagle; 01-30-2014 at 10:47 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #38
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Fyi someone on 6S tried that and blew up the engine during tuning because of excessive clutch slip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #39
caveeagle

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmasher View Post
Fyi someone on 6S tried that and blew up the engine during tuning because of excessive clutch slip.
Somehow I doubt that was the only variable. .... But hey, you can't go wrong upgrading parts. Just sounded like the OP was 'budget minded'. With all the corner-cutting he has built into his plan... a $300 clutch can wait. (IMHO)

If he has a spare $300 to 'invest' in his build... is a Spec-3 clutch really the best next step? I would suggest a quality valve-job on that +200k motor.

Any build will be a balance of compramise. You have to decide where you want to spend your money, and what the potential risk is. Based on the current build plan... He will be into this motor for $800-$1100. He was planning on NO clutch replacement. I just think the step up to a spec3 is a bit of over-reach based on how I read his current project path (not the forced induction project, down the road).

Mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #40
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Don't get me wrong, I WILL be getting an upgraded clutch in the next couple months. But, it might just have to wait until the next paycheck.

I am really apprehensive, because I don't want the 3rd-gen feel. I love the feel of the older clutches.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!